Premiere 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-06-2018, 01:59 PM

Premiere 2

Took my brand new premier 2 to range for first time and was slightly disappointed.
At 20 yds,,,it was hitting about 8" low ?? Do they all do that ?
Gun would not group at all with 185 gr. Gold dots. 6" maybe 15 yds..
Brown box 230 win. Ball ammo did ok
Maybe 3"-4" ,,,Does it take a full 500
Rounds break in for these things to get accurate ???? If so that's a disappointment ...I gave 2,000 $$
For the gun,,,just hope it gets better.
I gave 2,000 for my Anschutz 1710 dkl ,,,I get 1/2" at 50 yds with it,,,
Mind you it's a rifle though...
So far I only have about 70 rounds
through the les baer,only 1 hiccup,,
Slide locked open,,while rounds where
Still in magazine....
Anybody with any comments or suggestions ????
Old 05-06-2018, 02:07 PM

This is off a rest?

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 05-06-2018, 02:19 PM

Premiere 2

Buy more hard ball ammo and break it in. It's best to run 500+ before you pass judgement. Your accuracy should get better.
Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2018, 02:39 PM

Ampegsvt, as you are a brand new forum member it is impossible to know if you are an experienced pistol shooter or just bought your first pistol... Comparing it to a rifle for accuracy is not helping
Old 05-06-2018, 02:59 PM

8” low sounds like either an ammo problem or milking the grip. To check accuracy, try some Federal American Eagle or Federal Gold Medal Match 230 gr as a known starting point. Just my opinion, but buy Wilson ETM mags on day 1. Good ammo is as necessary for good accuracy as a good pistol, a good grip, good sight alignment, sight picture, and a smooth press of the trigger. Use a supported position such as your forearms on a solid bag as a rest. Make sure the driver nut is correctly adjusted for each shot. Have a touch of patience, and it will run. 🙂

Last edited by jeffbird; 05-06-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:09 PM

I was sitting at bench,,had the butt resting on bag,,,,
Sounds like I need to put more rounds
Through it before I pass judgment 😀
I am not a competition pistol shooter,,no....I am just the occasional
Range shooter...
Hopefully the gun will get better.....
Old 05-06-2018, 03:20 PM

Try using a good two hand grip and rest the area between the wrist and mid-forearm on the bag rather that the butt of the pistol. Take a few good breaths, exhale, focus on the front sight and slowly press the trigger. Stay focused on the front sight through the shot and recovery phase. Relax, breathe, take a minute to rest, repeat.

Dry fire practice really helps a lot. Try balancing a coin on the front sight while pressing the trigger. A practice partner may need to place the coin.

Hang in there. Some dry firing practice, different position, and different ammo and it likely will keep improving steadily. 😉

Last edited by jeffbird; 05-06-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Banned

Whatever the issue is, it isn't a break in issue. For a LB to shoot 6" groups at 15 yds there is either a problem with the gun or the shooter. It is possible that the sight has issues - damaged in shipping? Can only guess. But shooting 8 inches low at 20 is also unusual. But you do have an adjustable sight on that gun - have you adjusted it and is it working correctly to raise your point of impact? I would also see if you could have a seasoned shooter also fire your gun and see what his grouping is.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofew1911s View Post
I would also see if you could have a seasoned shooter also fire your gun and see what his grouping is.
+1 Sound advice.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:10 PM

All Premier II guns should have adjustable sights, just move the sight for your POI. How is the grouping off hand for you?
Old 05-06-2018, 04:31 PM

Haven't tried adjusting the sights yet,,
What is a good range to set them for ?? Sounds like I will get some federal gmm ,,and American eagle,,go to range and practice.....
Old 05-06-2018, 09:14 PM

Here is a helpful search engine to look for ammo at good prices delivered to your door.
Hang in there, everything will come together with time, practice and patience. Try 230 gr Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T’s for carry ammo.

http://gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/45acp/

Last edited by jeffbird; 05-06-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:57 PM

I can't over stress the importance of the firmness of grip of the non-dominant hand.

Think of your 1911 as a rifle - yes, a rifle!!
If you're a rightie, treat the left hand as important as you do when shooting a rifle - to guide the aim and stabilize the barrel/receiver during trigger release. No slouching wanted on the firmness of that grip. Also, really concentrate on not allowing the muzzle to rise during each shot - that will help you stabilize it more. Ignore the target (!), watch the front sight and try to keep it on the bullseye through the whole duration of the shot and until AFTER it's finished. You can look at the target later - the result will still be there :-)
This takes a lot of discipline ... and dry firing is a huge help in practicing this.

That might help.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:23 AM

Whenever someone reports a pistol shooting low or low left, the general assumption is going to be recoil anticipation. All my Baers have shot to point of aim out of the box. If only I could shoot as accurately as the gun can.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:25 PM

Have an experienced/competitive 1911/2011 shooter you can trust to have a shoot at it first. And have his opinion.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:17 AM

Premier 2

Well I did as suggested,,got some federal AE,,and some GMM, and the gun doesn't shoot any better. Could it perhaps be that the gun is not the 1 1/2 guarantee ? I tried adjusting the sights but didn't even get a response,,,
Why try to adjust them when it won't even group ?
Do i need to trade for one with the 1 1/2 guarantee ?
Can u buy a les Baer with 1 1/2 guarantee that's already broken in ?
If so, do they send test target with gun ?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:35 AM

Have someone else shoot it. If it still shoots bad send it back to Les
Old 05-16-2018, 12:30 PM

At the distances you're shooting the difference between an accuracy guarantee vs. non accuracy guarantee Baer is basically zero. And sure you can get a pre broken in Baer, they're called "used."

How well do you shoot other handguns at those distances?
Old 05-20-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampegsvt View Post
I gave 2,000 for my Anschutz 1710 dkl ,,,I get 1/2" at 50 yds with it,,,
50 yards?

I can do that with a $250 Ruger 10/22 with iron sights.

I can't see how a LB could be so bad to group 6 inches at 15 yards that it got out of the factory. That would be 20 inches at 50 yards. Any Glock will do better than that.

If bushing to slide, and barrel to slide lock up is there it's going to group. It might not be where the sights are, but it's going to group.

Are you a frequent handgun shooter. Do you have other 1911's that you can tack drive with?
Old 05-20-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I was sitting at bench,,had the butt resting on bag,,,,
I have found in my personal experience that's the worst way to shoot a pistol.

I put my wrist on the bag. For best results I use the bony part of my arms on the bag. Muscles flex.

Both sides of grip force on the pistol have to be equal. Putting the butt on the bag doesn't give it any consistency of forces on the grip. Shots go everywhere.

My best results are standing with two hands. On a good day one handed will match it.

Get the gun off the bag.

At BEST.............

Put the FRAME on the bag (like a rifle), and make sure there isn't any interference on the slide. Make sure your grip on both sides of are equal.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:52 PM

My new glock 19 gen 5 is a nice pistol,,,,and yes as of right now,,,it does out shoot the baer. Maybe the baer just needs more time at the range.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
My new glock 19 gen 5 is a nice pistol,,,,and yes as of right now,,,it does out shoot the baer. Maybe the baer just needs more time at the range.
Humm...
Old 05-23-2018, 05:33 PM

I'm sorry, its actually a glock 17 9mm gen 5 i have, not a glock 19. Its a nice shooting pistol and i like it. Came with three 17 round magazines.