Finished the EDC X9 Break in Round Count - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-09-2018, 05:11 PM

Finished the EDC X9 Break in Round Count

I finished putting the 500 rounds though my new EDC X9 today. I put some light oil on it the first day and havenít put any on since then. I didnít have a single issue with any round I put through it.

I put a variety of brands (5 different ones) and a variety of grains (115-147gr) and various types (flat tip, ball, hollow points) all without issue.

To say the least, I am extremely pleased with my purchase!

I do have a couple of questions:

1: since I bought mine from a dealer, I do not know what grip or trigger is on it. Can I call Wilson and give them the serial number to see? I looked through he paperwork that came with it and didnít see. Think I may need to go with small grips

2: Iím consistently shooting left, it could be me because I havenít shot much in a couple years since I have been stationed overseas and canít have personal firearms. It is also the first time Iíve shot something without the dots on the rear sights. This is the test target and 30 rounds from the draw and controlled fire. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2018, 05:24 PM

Congrats on the great purchase and the break-in! Mine is at about 1500 with zero issues.

As to your questions:

1) Post a picture and we can probably tell you the sizes, and
2) From my experience, and presuming you are right handed, AND presuming the sights are aligned properly, you have too much of your fingertip on the trigger and...when squeezing it...you are drifting the gun left. It happens to me on occasion, too.

Again, I am making several presumptions with the above observation. You can test it by making sure your gun is empty and dry-firing. You may see the gun “pull” left.

Just takes trigger control and practice.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytown1911 View Post
Congrats on the great purchase and the break-in! Mine is at about 1500 with zero issues.

As to your questions:

1) Post a picture and we can probably tell you the sizes, and
2) From my experience, and presuming you are right handed, AND presuming the sights are aligned properly, you have too much of your fingertip on the trigger and...when squeezing it...you are drifting the gun left. It happens to me on occasion, too.

Again, I am making several presumptions with the above observation. You can test it by making sure your gun is empty and dry-firing. You may see the gun ďpullĒ left.

Just takes trigger control and practice.

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking possible trigger pull too, but throughout I tried adjusting how much of my finger was in there, but I can look at it closer with some dry fire.

Here is a picture of the grips (ignore the nosey bulldog in the background)

c

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 05:42 PM

Not seeing any left drift with dry fire, but could be because of the focus on it.

In the target I was really focusing on the target when I noticed that I was consistently shooting left on multiple days

Old 04-09-2018, 06:02 PM

Seems normal for me, my hand is too large for 1911s and the same exact one inch drift occurs
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 04-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adian View Post
Thanks for the response.

I was thinking possible trigger pull too, but throughout I tried adjusting how much of my finger was in there, but I can look at it closer with some dry fire.

Here is a picture of the grips (ignore the nosey bulldog in the background)

In my experience, the targets you showed above, the slightly low and left is usually a sign of a right-hand shooter either "snatching" the trigger at the last moment, or improper fit of trigger length to finger length. This is my best assessment without being able to watch you shoot in person.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 04-09-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
In my experience, the targets you showed above, the slightly low and left is usually a sign of a right-hand shooter either "snatching" the trigger at the last moment, or improper fit of trigger length to finger length. This is my best assessment without being able to watch you shoot in person.

Maybe Iíll call Wilson tomorrow to see what the grip and trigger was installed at on this one then I can see about getting adjusted as needed.

Iím gonna go back out tomorrow and shoot a bit more just to make sure and really focus on where the trigger breaks

Old 04-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Below is an excerpt from an EDC X9 review. Food for thought....

"For me and the others on the test team, the EDC shot a bit left at 25 yards, to the order of 1.5″ to 2″ off-center. All my aiming with the test pistol had been done with the conventional post-in-notch sight picture. Experience told me to try it again, using the bright green fiber optic dot on the front sight as my index. Ta-Da! The pistol shot center."

Ayoob, American Handgunner
Old 04-09-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mans View Post
Below is an excerpt from an EDC X9 review. Food for thought....

"For me and the others on the test team, the EDC shot a bit left at 25 yards, to the order of 1.5″ to 2″ off-center. All my aiming with the test pistol had been done with the conventional post-in-notch sight picture. Experience told me to try it again, using the bright green fiber optic dot on the front sight as my index. Ta-Da! The pistol shot center."

Ayoob, American Handgunner

What does he mean by using the fiber optic as his index?

I was lining as I would with 3 for sights. Lining the top of the blades with the top of the front sight and fiber in the center. Also shoot both eyes open

Old 04-09-2018, 07:58 PM

I'd tap the rear sight to the right a couple thou and call it a day.

Whatever is going on is remarkably consistent. The test target is shot off bags and all is does is show the guns capability. Zero the pistol in your hands and don't sweat it.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:49 PM

I fall in to the same low left grouping occasionally. Usually when I have either taken too long of a break between range visits or breaking in a new non 1911 type of firearm that has a larger grip (double stack). Have you seen the "trigger control target"? If not google it. Your target looks like you are tightening your finger tips while applying trigger pull causing your muzzle to go low left before the bullet leaves the barrel. I would try focusing on the front sight before adjusting the sights. Also watch a few youtube videos with a search of "front sight focus"
Old 04-09-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunNut View Post
I fall in to the same low left grouping occasionally. Usually when I have either taken too long of a break between range visits or breaking in a new non 1911 type of firearm that has a larger grip (double stack). Have you seen the "trigger control target"? If not google it. Your target looks like you are tightening your finger tips while applying trigger pull causing your muzzle to go low left before the bullet leaves the barrel. I would try focusing on the front sight before adjusting the sights. Also watch a few youtube videos with a search of "front sight focus"

Thanks for the info. Iím gonna get some small 1Ē for targets and go back out tomorrow and focus on these things and see before I mess with anything else.

It has been quite a while since Iíve gotten out to shoot a pistol. Hell its been since before we were stationed in Puerto Rico a couple years ago. Rifles Iím good, but donít get to shoot pistol much except when Iím home

Old 04-09-2018, 09:32 PM

“Consistently shooting left”

Be conscious of where your index finger is on the trigger. Is the trigger right of the crease, in the crease or left of the crease. If it’s in or right of the crease, you may be pushing the shots left. Do you have any other Wilson’s. Where does it go naturally on them? (Of course all of your shots with your other Wilson’s are always dead center, as of course are mine).

Just a thought.

Getting the build info will be helpful, but maybe diagnose first, so you don’t swayed by the facts.

Have you been away from shooting for a while?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX View Post
ďConsistently shooting leftĒ

Be conscious of where your index finger is on the trigger. Is the trigger right of the crease, in the crease or left of the crease. If itís in or right of the crease, you may be pushing the shots left. Do you have any other Wilsonís. Where does it go naturally on them? (Of course all of your shots with your other Wilsonís are always dead center, as of course are mine).

Just a thought.

Getting the build info will be helpful, but maybe diagnose first, so you donít swayed by the facts.

Have you been away from shooting for a while?

This is my first Wilson. My primary handgun before this was an FNX45T with an RMR, that may have something to do with it too.

And yea Iíve been away from shooting for a couple years due to us being stationed in Puerto Rico where personal weapons are almost impossible to have and shooting is priced to where you canít go often ($25+ for a box of 9mm)

Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adian View Post
This is my first Wilson. My primary handgun before this was an FNX45T with an RMR, that may have something to do with it too.

And yea Iíve been away from shooting for a couple years due to us being stationed in Puerto Rico where personal weapons are almost impossible to have and shooting is priced to where you canít go often ($25+ for a box of 9mm)

But you see how how finger placement on the trigger can cause a push. And that being the case, a longer trigger or thicker backstrap can help with that, so I think you are on the right track, but meanwhile, just for fun, lay the trigger in the crease and see what happens.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:53 AM

Try shooting a few rounds left handed and see where your shots hit.

From your picture looks like medium trigger. Can't tell what backstrap you have on it, need side view of grip panel to tell.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:19 AM

Test fire it off a rest, very-slow shooting, a perfect grip and perfect slow pull with a surprise break. Do it at 15 yards. It should look more like the WC-target. If not you may need a sight adjustment...If it does look like the WC-target, than when you are going freehand, you are doing something to pull the shot (which is my guess, FWIW). You can still adjust the sight to compensate, but better to diagnose what you are doing "wrong" and make corrections. In will make you a better shooter in the long run (most of us have been through this early on in our shooting)...One caveat, if say, you have really small hands, and the double stack is causing a problem reaching the trigger properly (what trigger length do you have? What back-strap?), you may have to adjust the sight as a last resort.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 04-10-2018, 09:01 AM

Shooting left is typically an indicator of too little finger on the trigger, usually remedied by sinking more finger on the trigger or fitting a shorter trigger.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:14 AM

Iím printing out this target to take out with me today to help diagnose. Iím pretty sure Iím just really rusty after so long without shooting

Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 AM

I don’t put too much stock into the trigger diagnosis targets as there are so many variables. My internet diagnosis of your target is a consistent but very slight trigger jerk. But that could be way off not knowing anything else and only looking at the target. I also think we all see through sights slightly differently, very close but slightly different. My POI is just a little further right when shooting with both eyes open than it is with just one eye open. All you may need to do is a very small drift of the rear sight. Don’t overthink it too much and enjoy shooting it today.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 04-10-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
I donít put too much stock into the trigger diagnosis targets as there are so many variables. My internet diagnosis of your target is a consistent but very slight trigger jerk. But that could be way off not knowing anything else and only looking at the target. I also think we all see through sights slightly differently, very close but slightly different. My POI is just a little further right when shooting with both eyes open than it is with just one eye open. All you may need to do is a very small drift of the rear sight. Donít overthink it too much and enjoy shooting it today.
Thatís because the huge pipe you are smoking when shooting obscures your line of sight
Old 04-10-2018, 06:37 PM

It was def me. When I got down and focused I was gripping too tight and it was pushing me left when I pulled the trigger.

I went out and ran a bunch of 5 round strings and I am very rusty but Iím getting back to what I expect.

Then as I ran more I got to this

Def thinking itís just that Iím very rusty and shooting something without the rmr that Iím used to.

Side view of the grips to see what size they are

Old 04-10-2018, 06:42 PM

Standard backstrap, medium trigger. Works great for probably 75% of shooters.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 04-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
Standard backstrap, medium trigger. Works great for probably 75% of shooters.
What would you say the comparable trigger setup is in a regular 1911? Medium trigger?
Old 04-10-2018, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytown1911 View Post
Thatís because the huge pipe you are smoking when shooting obscures your line of sight
Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)