1911Forum banner

New ruger 10MM 1911 owner

20K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  OlHippy 
#1 ·
The wife traded in a RIA 10mm for this Ruger today. She had one of the early .45ACP Rugers but sold it 3-4 years ago and wanted to get another Ruger 1911.

Ammo question...anyone have any issues using Rem UMC 180gr in their Ruger 10MM?

See less See more
#3 ·
Ammo question...anyone have any issues using Rem UMC 180gr in their Ruger 10MM?

I think the UMC ammo is pretty weak and overpriced.
Sig Saer makes good ammo. Selier and Bellot is good practice ammo.
Underwood and PBR and a few others make full spec 10mm ammo, not the watered down to near .40 cal ammo.

#9 ·
I only ask because I have probably 400 rounds of it. Per specs I saw, it's rated only 15fps less than S&B 180gr which I have a box of. Just using it for plinking anyways, so long as the pistol likes it.

#5 ·
I was at the range a couple days ago shooting my RIA 10mm w/ Underwood 135gr HP and someone came to ask me what I was shooting because of the flash. Turns out he has the Ruger 10mm and we got to talking. We swapped guns for a minute and I have to admit the Ruger has a lot better fit/finish.

PPU is another ammo I'd stay away from. I shoot the s&B mostly at the range.

#8 ·
We swapped guns for a minute and I have to admit the Ruger has a lot better fit/finish.
When I went shopping for a new 10mm, I found exactly the opposite. The machining and fit was better on the RIA, plus had perks the Ruger didn't (ambi-safeties, FO front sight, etc). That's why I went with a RIA, but I got the Big Rock instead of the single stack. The ProMatch Ultra (6in, 16rnd) has even better fit/finish than the RIA Rock Ultra FS that I'd had a chance to inspect side by side with the Ruger.

#7 ·
I bought one of a "pre hunting days sale" in Sept. Nice pistol. It is below with a regular SR1911 in 45 I bought back in 2012.

I have shot regular and hot Federal through mine in addition to PMC and Aluminum cased Blazer. Also tried 180gr JHP X-treme Defense from Bitterroot Valley Ammunition. Also reloads which I do not reload hot. All have run 100%.

#17 ·
I just picked up the Ruger in 10mm today and was pretty impressed with the slide fit and the outside finish on the gun. What disappointed me though was the machining in the bore! Mine seems to have small shallow gouges running with the lands and grooves. I haven't seem a bore like that in any 1911 I have bought new including several Norincos'. I will shoot it and see how the accuracy is but I think it may be a problem if I decide to shoot lead bullets. Anyone else encounter this? Did you send it back to Ruger?

#18 ·
You guys are showing some really fine Ruger 1911 pistols here. I recently bought a new stainless steel 1911. I was down to choosing a Ruger 4 inch bbl 1911 and a lower priced Kimber. I wound up taking the Kimber, but these Rugers really look nice. I really like that Ruger is a series 70 style pistol.

#20 ·
Nothing wrong with a nice Kimber if you can get a good price on one. We've owned a bunch of them over the years and still own 3, a CDP Ultra II, Stainless II and a micro carry .380.

#21 ·
I'm sure they will take care of it. I've owned many Rugers over the years and they take care of their customers. My wife recently had a Mark 4 Lite 22 and had to send it back for recall and it didn't stop me from buying another Ruger. I do machining myself so I was just surprised by the bore. They usually do a better job on their bores. My GP100 has a beautiful bore. I just wondered if mine was a freak one that got by QC as the rest of the machining on the gun is top notch so it stands out.

#23 ·
Well I took it to the range today and I'm really impressed with how she shoots. Fired 50 rounds of American Eagle 180s through her and not one hick up. Accuracy at 40 ft. was pretty good. I kept 10 shots inside 2" at forty ft. Not great but for first time out and one type of ammo I'm happy. I'm guessing with that kind of targets Ruger would just say the barrel is in spec so I'll live with it awhile and see how well I can dial it in. I was pleasantly surprised at how light the recoil seemed for a 10mm. Granted they weren't real hot at about 1180fps. I think but it felt very close to my DW Silverback in 45acp. Measured the trigger pull at an ave. of 4.57lbs. on my Lyman digital gauge. All in all very happy with it so far.

#24 ·
Finally got to put some rounds down range today. Had a few FTFs/FTEs early on and the slide not locking back on the last round. I pin-pointed most of this to my wife's grip. I believe she was limping it a tad and bumping the thumb safety and slide lock. Once she corrected things smoothed out. Some of the issues could've been the fact it's new and a 1911. Some of my 1911 purchases took a little breaking in. Probably got almost 200 rounds through it today. It's a nice shooter for sure!

#25 ·
Mine is still doing well. Have yet to have a major issue. For full disclosure this is the last of three other 10mm 1911s I own. A 2009 DW Classic in "Commander" size on the left I bought barely used in 2011 and then a lightly used 1990 Colt Delta Gold Cup I bought the same year. Then the Ruger and on the right a DW Bruin I also bought at the end of last year.

I was reeeeeeeeely playing with these and then I got distracted when I was able to get one of the Ruger/Lipsey 10mm/40S&W Blackhawks. Must admit it is a fun toy. In previous years I sent many emails to Ruger, Lipsey and lots of other folk saying a new Blackhawk convertible would be great in 10mm/40S&W. Here is the first one I bought and hope to buy more. It is under a Ruger Blackhawk in 357mag I bought back in 1976.

Anyway back to the Ruger SR1911-10. I will get back to shooting it and so far it has impressed. The LGS I bought mine from on the pre hunting sale for $729 (plus local taxes of course) now has them for $795 the last time I was in there a few weeks ago. Still a nice pistol for that price.

#29 ·
I have a new SR1911 in 10 mm Auto and am very impressed with it. Have not tried the 10 mm Remingtons. Not been happy with their ammo in other calibers, lately, especially 9 mm.

I’ve been shooting hard cast 200 grain bear loads and Buffalo Bore 220 grain cast heavies. For practice, a mix of 180 grain FMJ full power loads.

Loaded seven rounds and fired at my 25 yard target. The hole in the lower left is from my oldest daughter’s perspective boyfriend. He was firing at a target to the left out of the picture and missed it completely, and tagged mine. LOL. Gotta keep’em on their toes!

I replaced the front sight with a tritium night sight and swapped the straight mainspring housing with a left over Colt satin nickel one I had in a parts bin. Shoots beter now. I carry it in a Diamond D Guide’s choice chest rig or an OWB leather pancake.

Can’t seem to figure out how to rotate pistol picture...when I uploaded it, it was upright. Now tilted 90 degrees. Oh, well.

Attachments

#30 ·
I think the Ruger is a good pistol. It would be Better if they took that awful warning off.

#31 ·
I’ve been thinking about a 10 mm 1911 type pistol, can y’all answer a question about both the Ruger and RIA versions for me ?

Do either, or both of these have a fully supported chamber/ramped barrel ?

#33 ·
Rem 10mm Ammo

There is better ammo for your 10mm out there. I went 10mm shopping yesterday and Remington 10mm was 36 bucks for a box of 50. Even the Cabelas dude was stunned. I picked up a case (200 rounds) of Sig 10mm for 99 bucks. Much better deal and much better ammo. Remington ammo gives me issues. I'd stay away from it as there is other high quality and cheaper ammo out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.