1911Forum banner

Wild Bunch Action Shooting in Greenville, SC

12K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  Flyinrock1 
#1 ·
The Greenville [SC] Gun Club offers SASS cowboy action shooting matches on the 4th Sunday of each month as the "Greenville Gunfighters". In 2011 we introduced Wild Bunch Action Shooting on the 5th Sunday (in months so equipped). The next Wild Bunch match will be held on Sunday April 29 (that's a 5th Sunday month in case you were not paying attention).

The Greenville Gunfighters are hosting the 2010 South Carolina state championship match beginning Thursday March 29 through Sunday April 1. On Thursday we will hold "side matches" including a four stage Wild Bunch match.

If you are in or near Upstate South Carolina please come out and watch the State Match, a 4th Sunday cowboy match or a 5th Sunday Wild Bunch match.

See the Greenville Gunfighters website for more information on the club: http://sites.google.com/site/greenvillegunfighters/home

Click the Wild Bunch tab for more information on basket weaving classes.

Just seeing if you are paying attention.

#2 ·
No replies to my original post? None at all?

Our next Wild Bunch match is April 29.

I used a 1911 in IPSC matches in the early '80s. We mostly shot cardboard targets. Show clear, then go down and paste targets. ZZZZZZ.

In Wild Bunch the targets are steel. They go "clang" when you shoot 'em. We use poppers and plates that fall when you shoot 'em. If you hit them, of course.

We use the 1897 pump shotgun to shoot more reactive targets. Also a lever action rifle. Targets go "clang" when you hit them.

Also you can dress like Pancho Villa. Or Black Jack Pershing. Or Jack Palance. Or not.

What more could you want out of life?

#3 ·
I have heard about wild bunch sounds like a lot of fun but it is a bit slow taking off over here . I shot western action when I was a child and it was so much fun but I don't own a single action revolver now .

The 97 is a sweet old shotty and they make the best clickerty clack sound when you rack them .

#4 ·
Our first Wild Bunch match was a real mental adjustment for the cowboy shooters who were used to single loading the 1897 on the clock. In Wild Bunch we load the magazine of the shotgun as we do with the rifle. During the stage you pick up the shotgun and operate it as designed. I think some of our shooters had never attempted to load the tube before and when the buzzer off you could tell that they were fighting their "muscle memory".

Anyway, this coming Sunday April 29 will be a good chance to run those 1911s.

#5 ·
I've been shooting Wild Bunch twice a month for 2 years. Great fun shooting 20+ rounds thru the 1911 & stoking the 97 with 6 rounds of 12ga per stage. Plus up to 10 rounds of 45LC in a lever action rifle. Both clubs I shoot with do 6 stages each match. Got amatch this Sunday and another the following Saturday.

#6 ·
Now we're talking! It's a good chance to ring out the .45; I think this month's pistol round count is 110. Thanks, Snake.

Our local club allows any main match rifle for now, to get more people shooting Wild Bunch. My cowboy rifle is a .38 so I'll shoot that for the time being, or borrow someone's rifle (Wild Bunch rules require .40 caliber + in the rifle). To get into the spirit of the game I've loaded up some .38s that should meet the Wild Bunch power factor of 150.

We're having a Wild Bunch Range Officer certification class taught at our club in May. I can handle a gun safely but I might be dangerous with a timer.

#9 ·
Super fun out here in the high desert of Oregon. Competition is fierce, though. Jerry Koch is a multi-past Oregon & World Champ. His wife, Vicki, is current Oregon & Idaho state champ in traditional, son Chance won the World Championship the last two years in Wild Bunch (first time when he was 16). Kid is unreal fast. One event (National, I think) a couple years ago started with your hands on your head and a holstered gun with no clip. On one particular stage, you drew gun, popped in a clip, shot 5 targets, dropped clip popped in another and shot 5 more targets and then a third time for 15 targets total...on the clock. Dad was leading with 15 targets in 15.1 seconds, 2nd was 15.8 seconds (maybe 300 shooters). Then the kid shot...15 targets in 8.1 seconds. Also a Tai Kwon Do & Jujitsu state champ. Have fun at your shoot.

#11 ·
Hey, AZ Snake:

I enjoyed the videos, especially the "malfunction drill" with the bayonet-equipped trench gun. That one had the whole room going.

I am now a Wild Bunch RO. We don't have our next local match until July which in a way is good since something went "sproing" in my '97 and it doesn't want to feed from the mag tube. Off to the gunsmith it goes.

#14 ·
Three couples who shoot at our club went to End of Trail. Shamrock Sadie won her category and is the World Champion Ladies B-Western shooter!

We are looking forward to our next Wild Bunch Action Shooting Match on July 29. It is really a lot of fun. If you are anywhere near Upstate SC come check it out. PM me for more info.

#15 ·
September has five Sundays so we will have our next Wild Bunch Action Shooting experience on Sunday September 30. I think the round count is like 120 pistol not counting rifle and shotgun. Lots of shooting for your ten dollar entry fee.

Wild Bunch rules require the rifle be .40 plus caliber but for the time being the Greenville Gunfighters will allow the use of any SASS-legal "main match rifle". Translation: cowboy shooters who have .38/.357 rifles can use them.

The official rules will allow the Winchester Model 12 as of January 1, 2013 but local clubs have the option to allow them now. Model 12s are welcome in Greenville (I've not seen one used yet and would like to see how they run).

#17 ·
Cowboy and Wild Bunch shooting is the most fun I've ever had in the shooting sports. The overwhelming majority of the people I've met are friendly and helpful.

Carolina Girl is a great shooter and we have lots of other lady shooters who are very good as well. Cowboy is a great couples/family sport.

She is married. Her husband is the cowboy match director of our club. She also does karate so we mind our manners even when she's out of ammo!

#18 ·
For those of you in the vicinity of Upstate South Carolina, there is still time to load up some ammo for the Wild Bunch match on September 30. The good weather has attracted record numbers at our last two cowboy matches so I'm expecting a good turnout for Wild Bunch, too.

#21 ·
I understand that the only Three Gun match in South Carolina (at the Belton Gun Club) has been discontinued.

Wild Bunch Action Shooting is a three gun competition. Pistol is a .45 caliber 1911 (five inch).

Rifle is a pistol caliber lever or pump action rifle with exposed hammer. SASS Wild Bunch rules mandate .40 caliber or greater. Our local club will continue to allow shooters to use the .38 caliber rifles for the time being.

Power factor of 150 for pistol and rifle ammo. Lead bullets only (we shoot steel).

Shotgun choices are Winchester 1897 (original or reproduction), Winchester 93/97 reproduction (these are not legal for SASS cowboy matches so they go cheap sometimes) or the Winchester Model 12 (the latter will be officially legal for all SASS Wild Bunch matches effective January 1, 2013 but local clubs have the option to allow them now, and we do).

As far as I know the Greenville Gunfighters is the only SC club offering regular Wild Bunch Action Shooting matches. We will host the SC Wild Bunch state match in late September of 2013.

Looking for some 1911 Forum members to come check out the match.

#22 ·
The Greenville Gunfighters had an info table at the gun show two weeks ago. This resulted in about a dozen prospective new shooters at our cowboy match last Sunday.

We are expecting some visitors at our Wild Bunch Action Shooting match on Sunday December 30. Come by and check it out if you are in the vicinity.

#23 ·
I'll come out and watch you guys shoot next time I don't have a match somewhere the day you're shooting. I haven't shot the wild bunch matches for the same reason I don't shoot 3 gun. I'm not interested in a shotgun reloading contest. But it sounds like fun. I'll try to come with an open mind and see how much fun it is.

#24 ·
I'm not interested in a shotgun reloading contest. But it sounds like fun. I'll try to come with an open mind and see how much fun it is.
I have good news for you (I hope). In Wild Bunch we seldom reload the shotgun "on the clock"; that's one of the differences from cowboy action shooting where the shotgun is staged empty. In Wild Bunch you load the magazine before the stage and start with hammer down on an empty chamber. Usually we pick it up, shoot it dry and lay it down-no reloads.

In our December 30 match there was one stage where we started with six rounds in the shotgun and then had to reload two shells to engage additional targets.

Wild Bunch stages put primary emphasis on the 1911 pistol. We usually shoot 15 or 20 rounds per stage from the pistol.

We will have a four stage Wild Bunch match on Thursday March 21, the first day of "Manse's Revenge", the 2013 South Carolina State Match. It should be a good one so come on out.

Here's a link: https://sites.google.com/site/greenvillegunfighters/home/sc-state-match/manses-revenge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.