S&W PC1911 JMB prefix - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 11:20 AM

S&W PC1911 JMB prefix

I have owned this PC1911 for two weeks. It was new in the aluminum suitcase with two magazines and the factory literature. This one dates to 2007, so somebody bought it new and it remained unfired until 2020. It is a great shooter, I like the adjustable rear sight, the checkered front strap and the overall fit and finish is excellent. Barrel fit is very tight, and the accuracy is reflected by that fit. There were a few disappointments though. The ambi safety right side lever was hitting the top of the right grip panel, so that caused the mortise joint between the levers to bend. Not a big deal, I fitted a single side safety until I can get a EGW ambi fitted. The other issue is the plunger tube is loose and will need to be restaked or replaced. Again not a huge issue, but for the top of the line pistol in 2007 I expected better. I am glad it shoots like a laser though. I shot a 1" group of 5 rounds at 25 yards with a bag rest, and many other 2" and under groups of 5 rounds just dialing in the sights. The pistol seems to like Lyman 452460 cast bullets at the higher end of HP38 powder charges. Overall I am happy with the pistol, it has become my daily carry. I like the mag well and forward cocking serrations, and the fully checkered cocobolo grips are awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Pc1911.jpg   Pc1911 2.jpg  
Old 09-15-2020, 11:25 AM

Looks good.
Loose plunger tubes are endemic in Smith 1911 derivatives. They seem not to have the idea of inside countersinking the holes.

I would get it replaced before I depended on the gun for carry.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:36 AM

Very nice, I love love S&W 1911s and have carried one from the second year they started production. Personally I think they are a great quality for the price and are way under appreciated. These are two of the S&W's that I have carried over the years, the S.S. one is a 108284 first year they made a model with adjustable sights and I carried that pistol until I pickup the other which is a their version of a lightweight commander made with Scandium.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 11:50 AM

Hard to tell, but your grips may not be protecting your plunger tube.

Wonder if the JMB prefix stands for John Moses Browning?

Last edited by Gary1911A1; 09-15-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
Hard to tell, but your grips may not be protecting your plunger tube.

Wonder if the JMB prefix stands for John Moses Browning?
The grip panel doesn't cover the tube much. Yes the JMB does stand for John Moses Browning. Another cool aspect of this pistol.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Looks good.
Loose plunger tubes are endemic in Smith 1911 derivatives. They seem not to have the idea of inside countersinking the holes.

I would get it replaced before I depended on the gun for carry.
It isn't so loose that it is a problem yet. I am waiting for the staking tool to get here from Brownells.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:44 PM

I forgot to mention that this pistol has a firing pin safety. But despite that the trigger is excellent. I will be leaving the firing pin safety intact.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:07 PM

S&w fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
I forgot to mention that this pistol has a firing pin safety. But despite that the trigger is excellent. I will be leaving the firing pin safety intact.
The S&W FPS cannot have much, if any, effect on trigger pull. Swartz safety triggers I’ve had were ... acceptable. The trigger on my EDC, a SW1911PC, OotB is really nice: light ~4lbs; crisp; excellent, positive reset. IIRC, a member here once posted a link to the patent application, including the constituent diagram.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgt_usa View Post
The S&W FPS cannot have much, if any, effect on trigger pull. Swartz safety triggers Iíve had were ... acceptable. The trigger on my EDC, a SW1911PC, OotB is really nice: light ~4lbs; crisp; excellent, positive reset. IIRC, a member here once posted a link to the patent application, including the constituent diagram.
Yes the firing pin safety is activated by the grip safety. No effect on the trigger pull. The pull weight on my PC1911 feels to be 3lbs, very crisp with a light reset.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:26 PM

Looks virtually identical to one of my S&W PC 1911s, which I purchased new in 2010. This was S&W's "priciest" 1911 at the time.

Black melonite finish (if indeed they're essentially identical). Very nicely done, and extremely durable. Sometimes melonite can be a dicey selection for a 1911 (due to the high temperatures applied to previously heat treated parts), but no issues whatsoever with mine; it was done well.

In some people's opinions, these were built in the final years/time period when "Performance Center" meant a gun that was substantially put together with considerable hand-fitting by a master pistolsmith.

I've been very happy with mine. I bet you'll be happy with yours.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 09-15-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:01 PM

Congrats! Mine says hello

And I definitely second that SC models make great carry guns
Old 09-15-2020, 07:54 PM

Another nice detail of this particular model is that the silly (just my opinion) warning ("capable of firing with magazine removed") that's present on other S&W 1911s was judiciously omitted.

Overall, it's very possibly the best 1911 model ever produced by S&W. Functional, beautiful, super-durable finish, and put together by the best pistolsmiths in S&W's house. Even though I've subsequently moved mostly to Wilson Combat, I'll never part with my S&W 1911 of this model. It's a keeper.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 09-15-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:20 PM

I had one of the P.C 1911 JMB serial numbered guns. It was in the 200 serial number range. I never shot it. Traded it unfired for a new Gold Cup in 9mm. The stainless model. The smith and wesson was in gun articles that said it would do 1inch 25 yard groups. Mine came in a nylon gun pouch with a cardboard serial numbered box. No PC case with mine.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocool45 View Post
I had one of the P.C 1911 JMB serial numbered guns. It was in the 200 serial number range. I never shot it. Traded it unfired for a new Gold Cup in 9mm. The stainless model. The smith and wesson was in gun articles that said it would do 1inch 25 yard groups. Mine came in a nylon gun pouch with a cardboard serial numbered box. No PC case with mine.

The 1 inch at 25 yards is true in my case. Not every group was an inch, most were two inches but that is my fault not the pistol. It is very capable if I do my part.

So far Alliant Power Pistol and HP38 are working great with Lyman 452460 cast bullets.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:24 PM

PC Smiths are the bomb!

Here's a couple of PC Smiths. The PC 1911 is a JMB 3 digit serial numbered specimen! Both will out shoot all but the best of the best!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181213_195357.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	594494

I can't explain the upside down orientation, left here right side up!

Click on photo to enlarge!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 09-15-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:23 AM

Interesting JMB serial tidbit when I had mine lettered
Attached Thumbnails
625E1FBD-23CC-426D-9CD3-7D8BEA9F09BE_1600439022065.jpeg  
Old 09-18-2020, 11:00 AM

Jmb 0025!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndfrc View Post
Interesting JMB serial tidbit when I had mine lettered
See Post above!

Sweet, 1 of 803!
Old 09-20-2020, 07:56 PM

if you are able to remove the plunger tube,

degrease the holes and studs and add little red loctite

ball dremel a chamfer to swaged stud material for a better bite

you need to protect the tube when staking as its easily tweaked.

Brownells also sells the pin that goes inside the tube when staking, unless it comes with the staking tool.

nice piece...nice shooting
Old 09-20-2020, 08:13 PM

Plunger tube tool!!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
I have owned this PC1911 for two weeks. It was new in the aluminum suitcase with two magazines and the factory literature. This one dates to 2007, so somebody bought it new and it remained unfired until 2020. It is a great shooter, I like the adjustable rear sight, the checkered front strap and the overall fit and finish is excellent. Barrel fit is very tight, and the accuracy is reflected by that fit. There were a few disappointments though. The ambi safety right side lever was hitting the top of the right grip panel, so that caused the mortise joint between the levers to bend. Not a big deal, I fitted a single side safety until I can get a EGW ambi fitted. The other issue is the plunger tube is loose and will need to be restaked or replaced. Again not a huge issue, but for the top of the line pistol in 2007 I expected better. I am glad it shoots like a laser though. I shot a 1" group of 5 rounds at 25 yards with a bag rest, and many other 2" and under groups of 5 rounds just dialing in the sights. The pistol seems to like Lyman 452460 cast bullets at the higher end of HP38 powder charges. Overall I am happy with the pistol, it has become my daily carry. I like the mag well and forward cocking serrations, and the fully checkered cocobolo grips are awesome.
PM if you would like to borrow one. Paying it forward , "helping a brother out style"!

Smiles,
Old 09-22-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
PM if you would like to borrow one. Paying it forward , "helping a brother out style"!

Smiles,
Thanks for the offer. I bought the tool from Brownells. This is one of the specialty tools that won't see much use, but I have wanted one for years.