.458 SOCOM for HD? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-14-2020, 09:43 PM

.458 SOCOM for HD?

I am interested in the thoughts of the members about whether .458 SOCOM is a reasonable option for home defense. Letís assume several walls, a small stand of trees, and about 100 yards to the next closest house. Iím not asking if it is the best option (I have others that I think are much better), I am just curious.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:45 PM

Use a 12 ga why risk it?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2020, 10:10 PM

I don't have a .458 but I do have a .450BM and even with a massive 3 chamber muzzle brake my followup shot are nowhere as fast as with a standard 5.56 AR.

The other thing to consider is if you have a muzzle brake or a flash hider. If you are running a brake like I am and you touch one of those rounds off in a dark enclosed space you are most likely going to be blind, deaf and disorientated.

Is it reasonable? meh. Now if you happen to have a suppressor and some 500 grain subsonic ammo to go with it my answer would change from meh, to heck yes light em up!!!
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2020, 11:37 PM

Have you tried shooting one indoors? My guess is that the experience will be awful. 308 is far too much for indoor use and I cannot imagine the blast of 458 in my living room.

Last edited by tomrkba; 09-15-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:52 AM

You can hammer a finish nail with a 10 pound sledgehammer, if it was the only hammer available.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:33 AM

My .458 does have a brake and, having shot it at an indoor range with double ear protection, I expect the boom and blast would be really really bad. I don’t plan to find out, but the thought of using a 10 pound sledgehammer, as M-P stated it, has a certain appeal (theoretically, at least)!
Old 09-15-2020, 12:59 PM

A carbine in 10mm would be plenty powerful, more magazine capacity and a lot easier to live with. I have one in .40.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:40 PM

458 SOCOM for crowd control. One shot, 8 - 10 antifas fall to the ground. �� Hmmm......
Old 09-15-2020, 05:31 PM

Wear hearing protection.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 09-15-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:40 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawHog View Post
I am interested in the thoughts of the members about whether .458 SOCOM is a reasonable option for home defense. Letís assume several walls, a small stand of trees, and about 100 yards to the next closest house. Iím not asking if it is the best option (I have others that I think are much better), I am just curious.
Reasonable? Nope.

Option? Yup.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:20 PM

I lived in various parts of Alaska for many years.

458 Socom or 50 Beowulf for Home protection against bears, definitely!!

Against 2 legged, it’s better than a 410 or 22.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:04 PM

I have a .458HAMR and I can't imagine touching one off inside my house. I have never shot .458SOCOM but I think my answer would still be no.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Higher recoil
Slower follow up shots
Limited capacity

It'll work, but there are better choices if you get a choice in the matter.

In my opinion

NRA ďBenefactorĒ Life Member
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

Well, it would make a thunderous "boom", create a big hole, and probably put a BG out of action...permanently.

So there is an upside.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; Yesterday at 03:24 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

I mean it's like shooting shotgun slugs, least it's easier to use than a shotgun I guess?
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawHog View Post
If you live in the Serengeti and you have to defend the hut from elephants, Totally reasonable, just like if you live on Kodiak Island.
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Obviously any gun is better than no gun, but a .458 SOCOM is at the opposite end of the impracticality scale. Just as a .22 Short or .25ACP is too feeble to be considered a good choice for home defense, a .458 is way too overpowered to be practical or give you any real advantage, unless you're seriously considering a firearm intended to serve dual-duty as defense against both man and man-eating beasts. A weapon for use against other weapon-wielding humans needs to be powerful, but it also needs to be easily controllable. And yes it's a bonus if it doesn't blow your eardrums out as well.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old Today, 01:15 AM

What will a .458 do to a body armor plate at 10'?