School Me on High Standard Target Pistols - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-08-2020, 10:30 PM

School Me on High Standard Target Pistols

I have an interest in learning about HS target pistols. A little history and some pictures would help. Your help is appreciated.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:00 AM

You probably know ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaniecowpony View Post
I have an interest in learning about HS target pistols. A little history and some pictures would help. Your help is appreciated.
You probably know that they have an awesome reputation. If my Supermatic is a typical example, well earned. Mine was set up as a bull-eye pistol. Seemed to come into the LGS-&-range in an estate sale. And it’s a tack-driver: it’ll keep up or a little better than any of my repeaters / semi-autos.

Trigger is incredible. Other ergonomics are really good. Pics likely no sooner than Fri.

When I bought it, good magazines were very hard to acquire; but H.S. was recently selling good magazines. OtOH, Triple-K magazines never ran reliably in my Supermatic.

Here are a couple threads on the topic:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=745425

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=855185

Last edited by tgt_usa; 09-10-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgt_usa View Post
You probably know that they have an awesome reputation. If my Supermatic is a typical example, well earned. Mine was set up as a bull-eye pistol. Seemed to come into the LGS-&-range in an estate sale. And it’s a tack-driver: it’ll keep up or a little better than any of my repeaters / semi-autos.

Trigger is incredible. Other ergonomics are really good. Pics likely no sooner than Fri.

When I bought it, good magazines were very hard to acquire; but H.S. was recently selling good magazines. OtoH, Triple-K magazines never ran reliably in my Supermatic.

Here are a couple threads on the topic:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=745425

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=855185
Thanks Tgt,
I always remember them being somewhat obscure in LGSs. I did see the occasional used one, but Colt Woodsman Target and M41s were more mainstream in the new gun lineups in my LGSs. Not being a bullseye competitor, I didn't really become aware of their quality, until getting on internet pistol sites. I did read the wikipedia about the company.

I'm thinking about acquiring a good vintage example of one of the notable models with some historical competition significance. But there seems to a large variety of the models. So maybe I should be asking for what models were notable for winning competitions.

Last edited by roaniecowpony; 09-09-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2020, 01:57 PM

Large variety

Quote:
Thanks Tgt,
I always remember them being somewhat obscure in LGSs. I did see the occasional used one, but Colt Woodsman Target and M41s were more mainstream in the new gun lineups in my LGSs. Not being a bullseye competitor, I didn't really become aware of their quality, until getting on internet pistol sites. I did read the wikipedia about the company.

I'm thinking about acquiring a good vintage example of one of the notable models with some historical competition significance. But there seems to a large variety of the models. So maybe I should be asking for what models were notable for winning competitions.
The old High Standard practice does seem to have been to give every variant of the pistol a new name. Many of these variants seem to be differences in features: but magazines and many parts likely the same from model to model. The magazines for a Supermatic, IIRC, are also listed for 2 or 3 other models. Never having been a bullseye competitor, my answer about winning matches would be based on vague impressions and deduction. The Supermatic line is what I’ve seen outfitted with barrel weights and fine adjustment rear sight, as is mine. There was an even higher echelon match pistol: “Supermatic Trophy”.

My Supermatic can group smaller for me than my S&W M41s: longer sight radius, lighter trigger. But the difference is very small with ammunition I’m willing to buy.

You’re quite welcome.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:41 PM

Per SevenL4, I've been googling like crazy. Watched a couple videos that had some good info. Ran across the HSCA site as well a site John Stimson has posted various bits of trivia...manuals and such. https://www.histandard.info/

I also ordered the HS book by Tom Dance.

Just figuring out all the model naming and numbering is a challenge. One video had some great examples of older barrel mounting systems: 2 different rail/dovetail systems and the later stud mount. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6aaauSBCoo

Like any quality gun with a long history, there's a lot of collectors out there and organizations.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:11 PM

I have a HS Sharpshooter model that I bought in the late seventies new.

It is a real tack driver.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:18 PM

The Hamden Connecticut High Standards are said by some to be the most desireable.

I don't know enough about the topic to be able to say why this is claimed.

An early 1970s Supermatic Trophy lives here. It has an outstanding trigger and is highly accurate.

It's generally claimed that one needs to keep high-velocity .22 Long Rifle ammunition out of the High Standard target grade models for they can crack their frames.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
The Hamden Connecticut High Standards are said by some to be the most desireable.

I don't know enough about the topic to be able to say why this is claimed.

An early 1970s Supermatic Trophy lives here. It has an outstanding trigger and is highly accurate.

It's generally claimed that one needs to keep high-velocity .22 Long Rifle ammunition out of the High Standard target grade models for they can crack their frames.

Thanks for posting your gun. Well kept.
I'm just starting to pick up the features and model designations. So yours is a "military" due to the 1911 angled grip?
Old 09-10-2020, 10:08 AM

So they say roaniecowpony.

From 1968 (according to an internet site).
Old 09-10-2020, 01:27 PM

My Sharpshooter model.

It claims to be an East Hartford gun. At least that is what is stamped on the side. I remember now that it was the first hand gun that I ever bought. New in 1978 for about two hundred and thirty something dollars. I remember it because I also remember how pumped up I was as that was the year that I turned 21 and could actually go out and buy a hand gun.

For some reason I could only get one picture to load.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0268.jpg  
Old 09-10-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
It claims to be an East Hartford gun. At least that is what is stamped on the side. I remember now that it was the first hand gun that I ever bought. New in 1978 for about two hundred and thirty something dollars. I remember it because I also remember how pumped up I was as that was the year that I turned 21 and could actually go out and buy a hand gun.

For some reason I could only get one picture to load.
Looks like new. You did a good job of maintaining it all these years.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:05 PM

I am lucky even to have held on to it at all.

Quote:
Looks like new. You did a good job of maintaining it all these years.
In the early eighties American flagged merchant shipping just about dried up completely. There were a few times when I was not all that far away from sleeping under a bridge.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
In the early eighties American flagged merchant shipping just about dried up completely. There were a few times when I was not all that far away from sleeping under a bridge.
Well, if you decide it's time for it to passed along to be well cared for, let me know.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:13 PM

The Sharpshooter was the economy model, with adjustable sights and bull barrel of the Citation, but dull finish and no trigger pull adjustment. It is actually the Sharpshooter Military with the same grip angle as a 1911.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:03 PM

I see several on GB with front strap stippling. Was this typically done at High Standard or Gunsmith?
Old 09-10-2020, 11:56 PM

Factory
Old 09-11-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
If the "Socal" location is "Southern California" you'll learn that finding HS pistols is a bit of a challenge due to the CA "roster" restrictions. Couple of things to keep in mind though are that alot of HS pistols are roster exempt as either Curios & Relic or as Olympic Pistols.

HS pistol models often go by a "series 100" designation, as in "series 101" and "102" etc. IIRC you're OK (re C&R) up to series 104, however best to check to be certain.

The older "lever models" are old enough, as are the Model Bs and HD, HE, etc.

BTW, don't limit yourself to 22s. The HS GB 380 can be found and is a great pistol for this newly popular round. Took me a few years to find one but was worth it.

On all HS pistols, good magazines are a challenge. We're pretty much stuck with Triple K brand or expensive factory original.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:38 AM

The Tom Dance book arrived last night. I think my checking account is in serious jeaporady.
Attached Thumbnails
20200910_190331.jpg  
Old 09-11-2020, 07:26 PM

Not exactly on par with their semi-auto stuff and probably best described as "quirky", but HS sold 22 rimfire revolvers too.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
The old High Standard practice does seem to have been to give every variant of the pistol a new name. Many of these variants seem to be differences in features: but magazines and many parts likely the same from model to model. The magazines for a Supermatic, IIRC, are also listed for 2 or 3 other models. Never having been a bullseye competitor, my answer about winning matches would be based on vague impressions and deduction. The Supermatic line is what I’ve seen outfitted with barrel weights and fine adjustment rear sight, as is mine. There was an even higher echelon match pistol: “Supermatic Trophy”.

My Supermatic can group smaller for me than my S&W M41s: longer sight radius, lighter trigger. But the difference is very small with ammunition I’m willing to buy.

You’re quite welcome.
I know of one instance where they gave the same gun two different model names. Somewhere along the line the old "Duramatic" became "The Plinkster". A rather novel little economy pistol.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:58 AM

Mine was a good shooter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsf View Post
Not exactly on par with their semi-auto stuff and probably best described as "quirky", but HS sold 22 rimfire revolvers too.
Mine was a good shooter. Purchased very cheaply, <$100 IIRC, early in the millennium; probably due to obvious neglect to its finish. A nine-shot, nickle-plated, D.A. revolver; black bakelite grip stocks; deliberately designed to look like a Colts’ S.A. “Peacemaker”(?!?); branded as a Western Auto “Revelation”. It had a “High Standard” stamp in the cylinder plunger cover IIRC. Man! what a nice S.A.-mode trigger!

When a friend from church was looking for a first handgun, the “Revelation“ was one of the pistols I offered him from which to choose: he took it. It was in the list, because it was rarely used - even though the “Revelation“ is a good shooter: my CDO [/ OCD] dislikes nine rounds and I have a S&W “Target Masterpiece” for the .22LR revolver role. So glad for the “Revelation“ to have a good home - hopefully it gets shot more often now.

Last edited by tgt_usa; 09-12-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Mine was a good shooter. Purchased very cheaply, <$100 IIRC, early in the millennium; probably due to obvious neglect to its finish. A nine-shot, nickle-plated, D.A. revolver; black bakelite grip stocks; deliberately designed to look like a Colts’ S.A. “Peacemaker”(?!?); branded as a Western Auto “Revelation”. It had a “High Standard” stamp in the cylinder plunger cover IIRC. Man! what a nice S.A.-mode trigger!

When a friend from church was looking for a first handgun, the “Revelation“ was one of the pistols I offered him from which to choose: he took it. It was in the list, because it was rarely used - even though the “Revelation“ is a good shooter: my CDO [/ OCD] dislikes nine rounds and I have a S&W “Target Masterpiece” for the .22LR revolver role. So glad for the “Revelation“ to have a good home - hopefully it gets shot more often now.
I believe my uncle had a HS revolver as well as a Sport King. I'm a bit fuzzy on this, since my last recollection was of these guns around late 1968 when he took my brother and I out shooting behind his place outside Barstow. Those were our first time shooting handguns and the only time I recall seeing those guns.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:38 AM

Oops!

L to R: Victor, Citation, Trophy

Original Trophy barrel, extra magazines!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_082226.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	594224

(Click on photo to rotate and enlarge!)

Here is a similar thread that is discussing a similar subject:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=762777

Once started there's no going back!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 09-12-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:

I know it's not in line with what we "he-men gunowners" would use, but for my 90 year old Mom or others with no interest in guns, a 9 shot 22lr or 22 magnum 9 shot revolver is s pretty good home gun. I took the rounded "birds head" grip of a 2" Sentinel and put it on a 4" gun, works just fine and she's not afraid to shoot it.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:17 AM

Great plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsf View Post
I know it's not in line with what we "he-men gunowners" would use, but for my 90 year old Mom or others with no interest in guns, a 9 shot 22lr or 22 magnum 9 shot revolver is s pretty good home gun. I took the rounded "birds head" grip of a 2" Sentinel and put it on a 4" gun, works just fine and she's not afraid to shoot it.
Pretty confident that a typical home-invader won’t volunteer to stand in front of the muzzle. And much better for her to be armed with a gun she’ll fire in need.