1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-31-2020, 10:23 PM

M1A Loaded Stock and Optic

All,

I have a Loaded M1A with a mid walled NM barrel. It came with the standard polymer stock. I am considering replacing it with an adjustable stock so I can run an optic.

What do you all use for a good quality adjustable stock? I hear the Archangel Stocks are very good for the money.

Also I was wanting to install an optic and was wondering what would be a good choice, something with a BDC reticle for the .308/7.62x51.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2020, 10:22 PM

What goals do you have for the rifle? Do you plan to keep it as a bench rest, or prone gun only? The Archangel is an odd looking stock, even though it is good for its intended purpose. personally, I'd order a Boyd's wood stock in the original style, mount a cheek riser to it and then add your scope mount and scope. As for those, I recommend the Fulton Brookfield style Designated Marksman mount; it is a three-point mount and will not shift POA, and allows use of the peep sight. Look at the Vortex scopes, they are outstanding for their price. I have an HST Vortex on one of my long-range rifles. There are several available reticles depending on the scope model, the HST has either a MRAD or MOA, and the elevation markings are extended to the bottom for maximum elevation It's a 2nd focal plane reticle. I routinely shoot 300 yards with mine, it's as far as I can go at our club range, but I've taken this rifle to 800 yards a few times.

I have a Millett 6-24x58 on my M1A Loaded. I made my own cheek riser, which is removable if i want to drop the scope and shoot iron sights. I have the above-mentioned Fulton mount as well.The last picture is my 6.5 Grendel with the Vortex Viper HST, 6-24x50 and a 20MOA Warne mount. I've shot it out to 1125 yards.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07721.JPG   DSC07725.JPG   DSC07422.JPG   DSC07421.JPG   DSC01330.JPG   DSC00790.JPG  

Last edited by Old Fart; 09-12-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:05 AM

Regarding stocks. The Archangel stock is nice. Very comfortable to hold and shoot. However, it will add at least a pound of weight, if not more, to your rifle.
Boyd stocks are nice. But, and this is depending on what you want, they are cut beefier in the front end than USGI stocks. They are cut more to the style of the "Big Red" USGI Birch stocks, if not a little bigger. Boyds stock also come without metal, meaning you will have to get a ferrule, stock liner front sling swivel, and screws and install them. Boyds also has an ugly brown stain they use in their stocks. If you want to see the grain, and some have some really NICE grain, you need to strip the stain out of the stock. Which is actually relatively easy to do. I think that the walnut looks much better without the stain. You can see the grain.
You can pick up USGI stocks from several places. eBay, Gunbroker.com, and Treeline M14 parts. Treeline is nice, since they have different grades and prices. They will come with all the metal, though you will probably need to clean them. I got one of their Big Red Walnut stocks, and it turned out very nice.
There is a seller on Gunbroker that is selling a bunch of USGI M14 and Garand stocks. He has both birch and walnut, and he has some very nice stocks with figure. They come with all the metal too. I've gotten two very nice stocks from him.
USGI stocks are cut slimmer, so they are a bit lighter. A Big Red birch stock is beefier in the front end, for added strength. Many people like them. A big red Walnut is actually a size between a standard USGI and a true Big Red. A "tweenie".
I prefer the looks of walnut over birch any day of the week. Unless it is figured birch, which can be finished very, very nicely with a little work. I'm currently in the middle of redoing one. It's now got 6 coats of hand rubbed Tung oil. But for those stocks, one must look through the grime and visualize what they look like.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 09-13-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2020, 06:11 PM

My M-1A is in an ex-USGI M-14E2 pistol-grip stock.

McMillan has some real nice synthetics.

https://mcmillanusa.com/stock/m4a/
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2020, 09:56 AM

So I’m looking for a setup I can run a good all around scope. My ranges will be up to 500.
The stock needs to be strong and adjustable. Weight is somewhat a factor but the M1A is already kinda heavy.

I would love to restore a Walnut stock! That would look very cool. But how hard is it to mount a cheek riser?

I already own a M1 Garand I bought from the CMP and it’s gorgeous!

I would love to build an EBR but that’s just way out of my budget!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:26 AM

Here's one of mine. As equipped, it weighs in at 11#4 oz. Springfield Medium weight barrel, SEI muzzle brake, Bassett mount, Bushnell 10x Tactical scope, Boyds stock cheap strap on cheek rest/riser.
Cheap riser is an eBay item. Works, but the straps are too long, which necessitated some cutting, moving , and resewing.
The same rifle, in an Archangel stock, weighs 11# 15 oz.
The difference in weights between a Boyds stock and a USGI walnut stock is about 2 oz. But, that will vary depending on densities of the wood of the individual stocks.
Attached Thumbnails
M1ASAIBarrel.jpg   M1ASAIMediumBarrelArchaangle.jpg  

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 09-15-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
Here's one of mine. As equipped, it weighs in at 11#4 oz. Springfield Medium weight barrel, SEI muzzle brake, Bassett mount, Bushnell 10x Tactical scope, Boyds stock cheap strap on cheek rest/riser.
Cheap riser is an eBay item. Works, but the straps are too long, which necessitated some cutting, moving , and resewing.
The same rifle, in an Archangel stock, weighs 11# 15 oz.
The difference in weights between a Boyds stock and a USGI walnut stock is about 2 oz. But, that will vary depending on densities of the wood of the individual stocks.
I like the Archangel stock better!
Old 09-16-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired AF CE View Post
I like the Archangel stock better!
That's my own homegrown camo job. It was a basic black stock. The wood stock actually has some fantastic grain under the cheek riser,