Talk about your EMP here! - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 PM

site question

I have noticed on my EMP that I am shootint 4" right at 10 yards. Has anyone else had site issues out of the box? I was just curious how good SA quality control was. I guess I need a smitty to adjust since I am having no luck miving the reae site. And yes I loosened the set screw.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I have noticed on my EMP that I am shootint 4" right at 10 yards. Has anyone else had site issues out of the box?
Nope, mine is spot on.

Shot a half a dozen magazines through it for function testing then went up and shot a local IDPA match, the very first shot was at approximately 20 yards. Of course an "A" hit, DEAD NUTS ON! I was very happy withmy

Of course I had torn it all the way down, Put Davidson's G10 grips which I got from Springfield, got rid of the ambi safety and put a Colt factory single sided small tab safety on it. Ed brown extended tactical magazine release.

Otherwise bone stock. Well greased (I prefer grease to oil) and ready to go.

I was shooting the match, not one FTF with Federal American Eagle brand 115 FMC. It was very easy shooting, and even without any prior knowledge it was a dream to shoot.

Understand, I am a 1911 shooter, and 3 of my 18 1911's are 9mm. Now this one.

It makes a very good back up gun (BUG).

Go figure.

Fred
Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I have noticed on my EMP that I am shootint 4" right at 10 yards. Has anyone else had site issues out of the box?
Nope, mine is spot on.

Shot a half a dozen magazines through it for function testing then went up and shot a local IDPA match, the very first shot was at approximately 20 yards. Of course an "A" hit, DEAD NUTS ON! I was very happy with myself, quite smug.

Of course I had torn it all the way down, Put Davidson's G10 grips which I got from Springfield and on this gun really like them. Got rid of the ambi safety and put a Colt factory single sided small tab safety on it. Ed brown extended tactical magazine release in stainless. I didn't have to do anything radical to make it run right, from the box.

Otherwise bone stock. Well greased (I prefer grease to oil) and ready to go.

During the match, not one FTF or hickup of any kind. I shot it with Federal American Eagle brand 115 FMC factory ammo. It was very easy shooting, and even without any prior knowledge of that sweet little gun, it was a dream to shoot.

Understand, I am a 1911 shooter, and 3 of my 18 1911's are 9mm. Now this one.

It makes a very good back up gun (BUG).

Go figure.

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDbound View Post
I have noticed on my EMP that I am shootint 4" right at 10 yards. Has anyone else had site issues out of the box? I was just curious how good SA quality control was. I guess I need a smitty to adjust since I am having no luck miving the reae site. And yes I loosened the set screw.
nope, my shoots dead on.

are you a left handed shooter?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:

My EMP 40 also shoots POA/POI with 2 different shooters at 10 and 15 yards. Could you have someone check your grip, and also shoot your EMP for comparison? That can cause problems also. I wouldn't start adjusting the sights till you know.

Compare your hits with the chart shown here:

http://www.is-lan.com/challenge/imag...Correction.pdf

This may help

Bill
Utah & Enhanced Idaho CWP holder
COTEP# CBOB0476
Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 PM

4" right

Yes I am left handed. I am not ruling out the shooter. That is why I posted the question to see if others were having any issues. I shot a DW CBOB in 45 and was spot on during the same trip to the range. Also tried different brands of ammo with the same results. That is why I am confused. I am not an expert shooter by any means though.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Mine was about 2" left out of the box. I had to put my slide in a press to get it to move. I moved it about .020 which has me at about 1/4" to the right now at 10 yards. One day I'll get the slide back in the press and try to zero it in but for now it's plenty good enough.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Yes I am left handed. I am not ruling out the shooter. That is why I posted the question to see if others were having any issues. I shot a DW CBOB in 45 and was spot on during the same trip to the range. Also tried different brands of ammo with the same results. That is why I am confused. I am not an expert shooter by any means though.
i'm gonna go out on a limb, and say it's the shooter. it may be since the grip of the EMP is smaller, it's causing you some problems compared to the CBob.

don't move the sights just yet. here's a chart to help you figure out what's going on.

this is for a lefty

Last edited by Quack; 01-21-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:41 AM

I will do some more shooting, this time from a rest if possible. Other than the previous post, it sounds like most of the EMPs have been spot on.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:09 AM

I'm pretty dead center with my EMP. My XDm is always hitting to the left.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:36 PM

Thinking of changing out the trigger

Was just wondering if the stock EMP trigger is considered a 'long' trigger?

I am looking at changing out the trigger for a black one since my experiment of useing brownells ah2 gave less the steller results. I was looking at the Harrisons designs Medium and long black triggers and was just curious wich would be as close to the factory trigger since it is perfect for me

I wish STI made there black polymer trigger for the EMP, would get one of those in a heartbeat!

Last edited by hunter121; 01-24-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter121 View Post
Was just wondering if the stock EMP trigger is considered a 'long' trigger?

I am looking at changing out the trigger for a black one since my experiment of useing brownells ah2 gave less the steller results. I was looking at the Harrisons designs Medium and long black triggers and was just curious wich would be as close to the factory trigger since it is perfect for me
Yes the trigger shoe is a long curved.

i used the 10-8 flat trigger on mine, which is the same length as the shortest part of the long curved.

this is a short trigger

Last edited by Quack; 01-24-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it
Old 01-24-2010, 04:23 PM

no problem. i didn't realize that Harrison was selling EMP triggers until your post.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:58 PM

Hell me either till I was cruising around brownells today. Ordered me up a trackstone and the Long Curved black trigger. Also ordered up some STI black poly triggers for some other pistols and ordered a extra one that I might try to shorten up for the emp.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
are you limp wristing?
<p>There are a few times I can tell I'm limp wristing, but most of the time I'm using the same grip I use with my XDm. The XDm is flawless.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 PM

That is sweet looking...Quack your bound and determined to make me spend more money.First its the mags and now Faulty's EMP with the rounded butt

Ok I tried to just feed some Gold dots in my EMP and I must say my gun does not like them at all they do hang up on the feed ramp when you hand cycle them( I havent been able to get to the range and try them yet).Has anyone tried the Hornady 9mm Critical Defense ammunition in there EMPs yet,if so how did they feed?I will also be trying the Golden Saber HPJ

Last edited by tracker366; 01-26-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 PM

the EMP posted above w/ the short trigger is John Harrison build for his daughter.

i'm good at spending money, be it mine or someone else's

try shooting them, hand cycling sometimes doesn't work well.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:04 AM

I will try the gold dots when I go to the range sat.I need to pick up some others anyhow to try too.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:31 AM

When I first got my EMP it would not hand cycle GDs either, but at the range they were flawless. Give it a shot. (Pardon the horrible pun.)
Old 01-27-2010, 12:04 PM

I wonder if they'll ever offer the EMP 9mm with a steel frame, and in other color schemes. I really want something all black or OD Green, can't stand shiny... Maybe I'll have them put a black finish on the stainless slide, that'll do the trick...
Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM

What size (gr.) Speers are you trying. My 9mm EMP was a little picky about hollow points in the beginning, but I looked into it and here's what I found.

This pictures shows a 147gr. Speer Gold Dot on the left, a 115gr Remington JHP in the middle and a 147 gr Ranger on the right. I was having feed issues with 115gr JHP ammo but 147gr fed fine. I think the longer 147 gr bullets have a better angle in relation to the feed ramp as the slide is trying to chamber a round. My feed issues were the bullet nose "diving" or hanging up into the feed ramp.

I polished my feed ramp and all my feeding issues went away. 115gr or 147gr hollow point or not, I have NO MORE feed issues. Here are the before and after pictures of my feed ramp.

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibfurloughed View Post
What size (gr.) Speers are you trying. My 9mm EMP was a little picky about hollow points in the beginning, but I looked into it and here's what I found.

This pictures shows a 147gr. Speer Gold Dot on the left, a 115gr Remington JHP in the middle and a 147 gr Ranger on the right. I was having feed issues with 115gr JHP ammo but 147gr fed fine. I think the longer 147 gr bullets have a better angle in relation to the feed ramp as the slide is trying to chamber a round. My feed issues were the bullet nose "diving" or hanging up into the feed ramp.

I polished my feed ramp and all my feeding issues went away. 115gr or 147gr hollow point or not, I have NO MORE feed issues. Here are the before and after pictures of my feed ramp.

BEFORE

AFTER

Yep I bet thats true about the longer 147 gr bullets have a better angle in relation to the feed ramp, looks like it to me
Nice polish job on the feed ramp..
Old 01-28-2010, 02:54 PM

My EMP 40 had some extractor issues out of the box- zero tension. After adjusting (really should take it to somebody that knows their stuff- I just put it in a vice an gave it a tap w/a hammer) it runs great. 1000 rounds and all good.
"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere The ceremony of innocence is drowned; The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats
Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 PM

Hey WellArmed, what is the recoil like on the 40 EMP? I had a 9 and now am looking at a 40. Is the recoil excessive? Thanks.