carry rotation - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 06:35 AM

carry rotation

I have 4 guns in my carry rotation which depends on the time of year. I carry a Glock 19 mos with a Vortex Venom, DW Valkyrie 45, Shield 9mm, and a Bodyguard in .380. How does one come proficient with 4 different guns I'm having a hard time just to be proficient with one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:37 AM

Just noticed I put this post in the wrong area sorry.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:46 AM

Why even rotate? Concentrate on one gun and be done with it.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw104 View Post
Why even rotate? Concentrate on one gun and be done with it.
I wish I could conceal a Glock 19 or my DW but when it's 100 degrees out and wearing t-shirt and shorts it's a little difficult.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 AM

carry rotation

First of all try to standardize your sight pictures, stick to iron sights not MOS esp for carry; beyond that focus on front sight and work on proper hold/technique A 9mm shoots different than a .45 and a .380 can be difficult to master, mainly due to small lp Sights. Practice Practice Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat C View Post
I wish I could conceal a Glock 19 or my DW but when it's 100 degrees out and wearing t-shirt and shorts it's a little difficult.

Proper Holster/belt and I size larger button down shirts

Crossbreed Supertuck for my Commander and

This for my Government

Sent from a distant planet far far away

Last edited by Texas Guy; 05-19-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 AM

Just pick one gun and one load and practice hard with that one (like your life depended on it). How well a pistol conceals depends a great deal on the carry rig. In my mind I have never seen any good reason to "rotate" through carry guns. Mastering four will be much harder than mastering one. If you can do that then you should be able to get good hits with any gun you pick up. Loose baggy clothing is your friend - especially if it is 100 degrees. Forget about "fashion". One other point to consider - almost no one is going to notice that you have a gun under your shirt. People today are pretty oblivious to everything around them. LEOs might notice but no one else will.

Last edited by drail; 05-19-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 AM

If you are not good with any of them, pick one and master it. I don't have a problem bouncing between a 1911, glock, shield, and LCP. I usually carry a 1911, but will admit that a Shield is easier to conceal and an LCP easier still, especially in hot weather. I shoot all of them well, and have shot all of them in competition except the LCP.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Just pick one gun and one load and practice hard with that one (like your life depended on it). How well a pistol conceals depends a great deal on the carry rig. In my mind I have never seen any good reason to "rotate" through carry guns. Mastering four will be much harder than mastering one. If you can do that then you should be able to get good hits with any gun you pick up. Loose baggy clothing is your friend - especially if it is 100 degrees. Forget about "fashion". One other point to consider - almost no one is going to notice that you have a gun under your shirt. People today are pretty oblivious to everything around them. LEOs might notice but no one else will.
^^^ this ^^^

My CCW team -does- have several pistols; but all have the same sight picture before being used on a regular basis. MoAs does vary some: If my thumb swipes the [absent] thumb-safety on an M&P during the draw, not too worried about that. And, excluding the S&W M41 which has a thumb-safety, I shoot 1911 more than everything else put together.

To carry every day, one must dress around the gun. Living in a climate about as warm as it gets, I've never had difficulty dressing for concealing a Commander-size 1911 (or gov't sized for that matter). The "full size" Glock and M&P are the same size as a Commander. Over-size waistbands, a heavy belt, loose shirts. The only downside is that those shirts conceal gaining weight well enough that I'm slower to take corrective action than when I wore western shirts and blue jeans.
j -:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:59 AM

I love watching someone who learned to shoot with a 1911 being handed a gun with no thumb safety and watch their thumb still reflexively press down on the now non existent thumb safety. Old habits die hard...... I also strongly agree with having the same sight picture on any carry gun you own.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:53 AM

4 guns is not too high a # to be proficient with...

But, first you need to be proficient with ONE. And then grow from there...So what issues are you having with your favorite gun which are preventing you from being proficient? And tell us about your training routine?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:03 PM

I choose long ago to only use one style of pistol, namely, a 1911. To that end I carry Mustangs on up to Government models. Operator controls don't change and various sizes of pistols can be chosen to accommodate different clothing styles for different weather conditions.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:24 PM

If your not proficient at 1 you'll never be proficient at 4.

Train often, watch videos, take classes. I see too many "seasoned shooters" at the range that cannot shoot well.

Shooting techniques have drastically changed over the years. There's a lot of good info out there today on stance, hold, sight picture, and elimination of bad habits.

Get proficient at one them move on the next then start taking multiple pistols to the range and mix it up.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post

But, first you need to be proficient with ONE. And then grow from there...So what issues are you having with your favorite gun which are preventing you from being proficient? And tell us about your training routine?
I recently purchased the Glock 19 gen4 mos and trying to get used to the red do,t so I've been training a lot with it from the draw to get used to acquiring the dot. I'm afraid once I get used to the dot, I'll have a hard time shooting the non dot pistols. And not to mention going from a DW to a Glock to me is a big difference. Since it's coming into summer I start carrying the shield and the .380.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:46 PM

I would pick the one gun of the 4 that is best all year. A summer time gun is not ballistically inferior to a winter time gun.

I carry a full size 1911 through the Georgia summer and winter. My clothing is based on my choice of carry. My carry is not based on my clothing.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:20 PM

There you go........ I believe a lot of guys are basing their choice of carry on how they like to dress.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow bullet guy View Post
I would pick the one gun of the 4 that is best all year. A summer time gun is not ballistically inferior to a winter time gun.

I carry a full size 1911 through the Georgia summer and winter. My clothing is based on my choice of carry. My carry is not based on my clothing.
Ehh. As that works for you it doesn't work for everyone. I carry a rotation of pistols from full size double stack to micro's or subcompacts.

My attire ranges from heavy cloths in the winter to shots, flip flops and tee shirts in the summer.

There's nothing wrong with being proficient with multiple guns or multiple calibers.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I recently purchased the Glock 19 gen4 mos and trying to get used to the red do,t so I've been training a lot with it from the draw to get used to acquiring the dot. I'm afraid once I get used to the dot, I'll have a hard time shooting the non dot pistols. And not to mention going from a DW to a Glock to me is a big difference. Since it's coming into summer I start carrying the shield and the .380.

Train with one, ditch the red dot not practical for carry

Sent from a distant planet far far away
Old 05-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I see this all the time and wonder why? I live in South Florida. It's past HOT 12 months out of the year. Get a proper gun belt and proper OWB leather holster and you can conceal any gun under an untucked Tshirt and shorts. Wear one size larger shirt than you normally do and all will be fine. I've been doing this for almost 30yrs going back to when I carried a Delta Elite in same fashion, Beretta 92, Sig 226, full size 1911, Sig 229 .40 and now back to 1911s.

In regard to proficiency with multiple platforms practice practice practice....shoot shoot shoot all of them a lot. It'll come to you.
Lose the RDS on the pistols. Learn how to point shoot practically for SD.
COTEP#782
Old 05-19-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post

My attire ranges from heavy cloths in the winter to shots, flip flops and tee shirts in the summer.

There's nothing wrong with being proficient with multiple guns or multiple calibers.
You are correct. But the OP already stated that he isn't proficient with one gun, much less the 4 he carries. Perhaps spending time with one gun is a good start. The K.I.S.S. method applies here.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
I see....I have no experience with red-dots but others can advise you on that. I do use laser's and iron, and have absolutely no issue going from one to the other (granted though, red-dots may be more of a challenge)...Generally I will say, whatever type of "configuration", or multiple configurations, you want to use for your self-defense lifestyle, it is achievable (becoming proficient on each) if you put in the range time, dry-fire, and "mental" training. It takes some time, but you will get there...Now, caveat, if due to say other obligations, you can't put in enough time to get proficient on multiple platforms, you will have to decide which one or two guns you want to focus on.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post

This is what I think too.
In my opinon, if you rotate the gun you take to the range for fun and not for serious training is one thing, but to me rotating the carry gun is not a very good idea. IMHO.

Before you start collecting 1911s .... buy books! Collect "quality" not something that you'll be forever making excuses for, and buy the gun not the story behind it.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
How does one come proficient with 4 different guns.
achieve solid fundamentals coupled with live fire trigger time

Quote:
I'm having a hard time just to be proficient with one.

"proficiency" can be subjective .
To one shooter it might mean putting two shots from leather on a 3x5 index card @ 20ft in under 2 seconds
To another it might mean something MUCH less

It's unrealistic to think you'll shoot the Bodyguard as well as the larger pistols at any substantial distance

However, if your fundi's are sound, there's no reason you can't be "proficient" (COM hits in a hurry) at 30ft and in with pret'near any pistol

Knowing you a little from your posts in the reloading forum, Pat....
My spidy senses suggest you may be the perfectionist type
(not a thing wrong with that)
Just makes me wonder if your definition of "proficient" isn't closer to what many would call "mastering" .
my definition of "proficient" and mastering are pretty far apart

..L.T.A.

Last edited by Cappi; 05-20-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
How does one come proficient with 4 different guns I'm having a hard time just to be proficient with one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Get good, outside training with each one you want to carry, and practice, practice, practice.

I change my holster as often as I change socks, and rotate between three pistols whenever I feel like it. But two are 1911s and the other a BHP, so the transition is minimal. You would be smart to go with pistols that operate the same.

Don't trust Cavery Grips in Clayton, North Carolina.
An armed society is a polite society--Robert Heinlein via The Guru
Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I have 4 guns in my carry rotation which depends on the time of year. I carry a Glock 19 mos with a Vortex Venom, DW Valkyrie 45, Shield 9mm, and a Bodyguard in .380. How does one come proficient with 4 different guns I'm having a hard time just to be proficient with one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Start with one... practice, train, dry fire daily and commit to dressing around it, every single day. (and yes, it may cramp your style a bit but that's the trade off to be prepared every day) I'd also go find a good pistol class... they are fun and will give you a good foundation upon which to build. You'll also learn lots of good drills to use when you train on your own

Once you become proficient with one gun, begin working on another. The second will come much faster.

If I were in your shoes, I'd pair it down to 2 guns. A big one and a small one. You essentially have 2 each of similar sized guns.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:56 AM

I live in FL and my carry choice is a Glock 17. I settled on a gun that works for me and then figured out how to carry it year round. As mentioned, it's a good belt, a good holster, and button down shirts. I wear flat hem button down shirts which are loose fitting and breathe better than t-shirts. Form follows function and your dress should be dictated by your carry choice and not the other way around.