It is like a Virus with no cure - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 07:51 PM

It is like a Virus with no cure

How many Wilson 1911s do you really need? That is correct just one more.

I have three Professionals (4") and truly like them but I wanted a full size.

I made the terrible mistake of selling my CQB not too long ago but I ran across a 45 acp CQB Elite that I could not pass up.

This is truly an addiction.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:55 PM

Never ending I'm afraid.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:55 PM

I like it!
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
On Order: Wilson EDC X9

Old 05-18-2017, 08:09 PM

You got a very good deal on that gun. I had my eye on it too. Had the seller been able to make a partial trade, it would have been mine. Congrats on a beauty!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:03 PM

I "need" a full size 38 super

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 PM

I'm at 5 and now looking at a 10mm CQB from same seller I just got the Pro model from.
Another NIB 'leftover' for a great price. Everyone has to have a 10mm WC right?
COTEP#782
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM

Sorry AWMP, I changed my mind.....JK!!!
No really, I'll give you two grand for it
Old 05-18-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw187 View Post
I "need" a full size 38 super

Everyone does. Along with that, you and everyone else needs a .38 Super in a Compact.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Old 05-18-2017, 09:52 PM

I'm pretty sure the answer is 42.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
Everyone does. Along with that, you and everyone else needs a .38 Super in a Compact.
Truer words were never spoken (typed?). Trust me, I know this.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant Thunder View Post
Truer words were never spoken (typed?). Trust me, I know this.

If you guys could only pick one barrel length for the Super which would you choose?

Old 05-19-2017, 02:01 AM

I understand your sickness, but I recovered from it (I think).
I owned up to eight WILSON COMBAT 1911s.
Absolutely great guns.
Then in the years, slowly, one at the time I sold/traded them all, pretty well too, as prices in the mean time have kept going up.
I sold the last one in January, when a range mate told me he couldn't get on wit his new REMINGTON R1 and insisted he wanted a WILSON COMBAT, so I sold him my last CQB and I got plenty of cash plus his brand new REMINGTON R1.
WILSON COMBAT makes absolutely great pistols with awesome triggers, so the REMINGTON's isn't even comparable, but believe me it's extremely accurate and very well made, it hasn't got those ugly front serrations that I hate nor that enormous beaver tale safety, and, last but not least, an ordinary entry level "CQB" made by WILSON COMBAT here now costs more than 5,000.00 (I mean five thousand) $ !! that's what I call a sheer exaggeration!

Before you start collecting 1911s .... buy books! Collect "quality" not something that you'll be forever making excuses for, and buy the gun not the story behind it.

Last edited by "colt45acp"; 05-19-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
If you guys could only pick one barrel length for the Super which would you choose?

Wow. Now we're getting into that 'favorite child' scenario we all try to avoid. My first was the 4" Compact with the round-butt option primarily for personal protection, but it turned out to be so accurate and controllable I have used it in competition as well, both USPSA and IDPA. The 5" was the second and it also is scary accurate and controllable (to absolutely no one's surprise I'm guessing) and conceals well with its round-butt option in an IWB holster. If I could only keep one it'd be the 4" Compact because I'm concerned most with protection and competition being second. The Compact conceals a bit easier in the warmer months when clothing is thinner/lighter so it affords me more concealment options.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Wow. Now we're getting into that 'favorite child' scenario we all try to avoid. My first was the 4" Compact with the round-butt option primarily for personal protection, but it turned out to be so accurate and controllable I have used it in competition as well, both USPSA and IDPA. The 5" was the second and it also is scary accurate and controllable (to absolutely no one's surprise I'm guessing) and conceals well with its round-butt option in an IWB holster. If I could only keep one it'd be the 4" Compact because I'm concerned most with protection and competition being second. The Compact conceals a bit easier in the warmer months when clothing is thinner/lighter so it affords me more concealment options.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 05-19-2017, 08:54 AM

My 4" Professionals in 38 Super are the perfect fit for me. Carry well and shoot even better.

To 38 Super is a great round, 10 rds in magazine, light and fast and recoils like a baby.

38 Super is my secret round, it is how I got my wife to learn to shoot and love 1911s all in the same day. Win Win

Quote:

Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMP View Post
My 4" Professionals in 38 Super are the perfect fit for me. Carry well and shoot even better.

To 38 Super is a great round, 10 rds in magazine, light and fast and recoils like a baby.

38 Super is my secret round, it is how I got my wife to learn to shoot and love 1911s all in the same day. Win Win

Seems like a great gun and with some more zip then the 9mm perhaps a bit more fun to shoot! Plus its got a neat history

Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:
My situation is somewhat reversed. My first .38 Super was a Tactical Elite. The caliber in combination with the flanged barrel made it incredibly easy to shoot. I fell in love with the caliber. And after learning more about the ballistics, I felt it would be an excellent defense round. So I got a CQB Compact in .38 Super, which is what I carry most often. I think the .38 Super is the best caliber in a Compact. I had a CQB Compact .45 that I gave to my dad after I got the .38 Super. My wife as a CQB Compact in 9mm. So I've shot all three calibers, and I prefer the .38 Super in that gun. I feel like it compromises absolutely nothing.

I love the Tactical Elite in .38 Super, but for a gun with a purpose, I would keep my CQB Compact.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Seems like a great gun and with some more zip then the 9mm perhaps a bit more fun to shoot! Plus its got a neat history

The only way I've been able to describe the feel of .38 Super is by saying it's like a 9mm with balls. Recoils about the same as 9mm, but you can tell it's more powerful.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 AM

How many do I need? As many as I can get my hands on!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
My situation is somewhat reversed. My first .38 Super was a Tactical Elite. The caliber in combination with the flanged barrel made it incredibly easy to shoot. I fell in love with the caliber. And after learning more about the ballistics, I felt it would be an excellent defense round. So I got a CQB Compact in .38 Super, which is what I carry most often. I think the .38 Super is the best caliber in a Compact. I had a CQB Compact .45 that I gave to my dad after I got the .38 Super. My wife as a CQB Compact in 9mm. So I've shot all three calibers, and I prefer the .38 Super in that gun. I feel like it compromises absolutely nothing.

I love the Tactical Elite in .38 Super, but for a gun with a purpose, I would keep my CQB Compact.

Is there appreciable velocity loss in 4" vs 5" barrel and what full power factory ammo do you guys shoot?

Old 05-19-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Is there appreciable velocity loss in 4" vs 5" barrel and what full power factory ammo do you guys shoot?

I'm no expert on velocity, but a guess based on watching nearly every youtube video on 9mm and 45 acp ammo tests, there's at least 50-100 fps difference between a 5 inch barrel and a 4 inch barrel. The shorter the barrel, the more velocity lost.

I use Federal HST for carry rounds. I have it in 9mm and 45 acp. Federal HST doesn't make 38 super though.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Very Nice CQB Elite....
Old 05-19-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "colt45acp" View Post
I understand your sickness, but I recovered from it (I think).
I owned up to eight WILSON COMBAT 1911s.
Absolutely great guns.
Then in the years, slowly, one at the time I sold/traded them all, pretty well too, as prices in the mean time have kept going up.
I sold the last one in January, when a range mate told me he couldn't get on wit his new REMINGTON R1 and insisted he wanted a WILSON COMBAT, so I sold him my last CQB and I got plenty of cash plus his brand new REMINGTON R1.
WILSON COMBAT makes absolutely great pistols with awesome triggers, so the REMINGTON's isn't even comparable, but believe me it's extremely accurate and very well made, it hasn't got those ugly front serrations that I hate nor that enormous beaver tale safety, and, last but not least, an ordinary entry level "CQB" made by WILSON COMBAT here now costs more than 5,000.00 (I mean five thousand) $ !! that's what I call a sheer exaggeration!
Ordinary entry level CQBs don't cost $5,000. I have no idea where you got that from?
COTEP#782
Old 05-19-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Ordinary entry level CQBs don't cost $5,000. I have no idea where you got that from?
It looks like he is located in Italy. I can see them being that expensive over there.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:56 PM

Great color combo . Nice pistol