Large grip safety - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 10:46 AM

Large grip safety

Hey guys, I have a question about aftermarket grip safeties. I have an all factory Sig Sauer (80 series) extreme 1911, it has a really large grip safety that makes it near impossible to limp wrist the gun... while I don't have that issue, I'd like to find an aftermarket or oem grip safety to fit my RIA (70 series) CS45 ccw gun...

Does anyone have suggestions where to go?
I've looked on WC's page, fusion firearms and EGW... but haven't found anything yet.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:07 PM
1911 Aficionado

Can you elaborate bit on "large", and how the grip safety is preventing limp-wristing, and what the other grip safeties lack, compared to the one on the SIG?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:56 PM

I'm thinking he's talking about the memory bump/Beavertail . In that case. http://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/D...s/products/38/

Sent from a distant planet far far away

Old 05-15-2017, 02:00 PM

Sure, the beavertail grip safety on my Sig protrudes further out from the frame, so when I'm holding the firearm and taking quick follow up shots it definitely stays depressed. When the Sig & RIA and my other stealth frame build are all together you can visually see the difference from the Sig...

Last edited by MattFarmer; 05-15-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:22 AM

Try Les Baer's grip safety. It has a "fuller" feel (IMO) and good memory bump.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:11 AM

Hi, I had seen some aftermarket grip safeties check this out.
Beavertail Grip Safety at shopwilsoncombat
Govt Bl Bvr-Tail Grip Safety price at Amazone
You can get more on amazone.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Caspian does their "speed bump" a little differently. It runs up the safety vertically. I call it a "dorsal fin".

https://www.caspianarms.com/product-.../grip-safeties

Their design makes it almost impossible to grip the pistol in a manner that doesn't depress the grip safety.

Rosco
Old 05-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Failure to depress the grip safety is not the same as limp wristing the gun. They are two totally different things. That being said, if you do not depress the grip safety fully with your RIA, you can either work on your technique, have a gunsmith 'sensitize' the existing safety, or have a gunsmith replace it with a beavertail of your choice with a speed bump. If the RIA has a GI grip safety, the smith will have to modify the tang of the RIA to fit a beavertail and that may necessitate a refinish of the frame, unless it is stainless or you can live with cold blue on the tangs. I have a colt that has a wilson beavertail and cold blue works well enough for me.