Can't believe the way mags came - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 05:56 PM

Can't believe the way mags came

So today I received a couple mags from Dawson, 140mm 45. I needed a couple extra so I had them order me some up. When I took them out of the package I noticed that both mags had the followers sticking out of the feed lips. Upon further inspection I can't get the followers to stay in on both. I think what really bothers me is I paid 70 bucks a mag and this is what I received. Like did anyone check these things out? Now I know that sti mags need tuning, I'm familiar with that but too send a product out like this really bothers me. I love my sti but I mean come on now, the magazine is a huge part of any firearm, without a good mag they just won't run. I know I'm going on and on, just venting. Anyway I called sti twice and no answer so I sent an email, called Dawson and I'm waiting till the smith comes in on Friday because the sales rep wasn't too sure what to do. Anyway just looking for some feedback to see if this is common place and what I should do.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0025.JPG  
Old 05-10-2017, 06:49 PM

Wow. Thats unreal.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Damn what the heck. I'm sure they will do the right thing.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:33 PM

Yea I was really surprised, I love the platform and I bought the mags because I want to use it as a home defense pistol. I'm an AR guy all day long and the top companies have amazing customer service, saturated market out there and you need to separate yourself from the pack. No reason this day and age for someone not to pick up a phone. Anyway keep you posted how I make out just disappointing. Pic of my gun below
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0010.JPG  
Old 05-10-2017, 07:39 PM

I just watched a Youtube mini-documentary on the STI factory. It's employee owned and they talked about how everyone was so into quality and the details. And...they make their own mags. About 8:00 into the video, they show the mag manufacturing process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPWt1-G2VYk
Old 05-10-2017, 09:59 PM

Gotta make dang sure that slide stop locks the slide back ya know....... that should do it.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 PM

I have 7 STI 126mm .45s.
No three alike.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:26 AM

Ya know the quality of the follower on the mag that came with the fun from the factory was a little hokey but it worked so I didn't care. As a company knowing the magazine is the Achilles heel of your product why wouldn't you make a perm fix or at least up the qc on what leaves your doors. Also, my gun came with a black mag so it's not like I ordered something different. Again I'll prob have to ship these back and waste more of my time. Just a lotta bs for expensive magazines. Lol that vid cracks me up by the way
Old 05-11-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1racefan View Post
I just watched a Youtube mini-documentary on the STI factory. It's employee owned and they talked about how everyone was so into quality and the details. And...they make their own mags. About 8:00 into the video, they show the mag manufacturing process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPWt1-G2VYk

They are no longer an employee owned company, and they also have someone else making their mags these days. I want to say Checkmate but could be wrong.

I fully expect to tune every mag I get for my 2011s, so I get no surprises.

OP,do the mags work as is?

Bob
Old 05-11-2017, 07:36 AM

Geez. Are you sure they didn't use a 40 follower in those?

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 05-11-2017, 07:51 AM

Mine were equally bad for my 9mm mags. It's unfortunate that for the price they can't be better. I was looking on Brazos parts page and it looks like new mags for 2017 are out. Supposedly better tolerances, accurate feed lips, and windowed holes to see how many rounds per mag. I'll be interested to see if all is true.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:07 AM

Did they work?
Old 05-11-2017, 09:31 AM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Did they work?
Exactly.

If they work then there is zero problems.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:57 PM

I received a couple new 9mm 140mm Xylan mags recently; they were very nice, witness holes as well.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:01 PM

lol did they work?? The follower won't stay in the mag? I mean really what lid of question is that. Anyway spoke with sti and they are sending me two new mags that will be checked before they are sent out. Also, they are not checkmate mags. I've heard great things about the checkmate mags out there. They handled the issue so we will see what the news ones are like. Hopefully nice. I'll post some pics
Old 05-11-2017, 06:22 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMonte View Post
lol did they work?? The follower won't stay in the mag? I mean really what lid of question is that.
A totally 100% serious question.

Start sticking ammo in them and see what happens.

Who knows, maybe they run like a top. Maybe they don't.

I have aftermarket followers in my mags, but the 45 mags are the worst. The followers look almost as bad as yours, but they still hold ammo and function just like they should.

After 20 years of shooting STIs I have learned a thing or two.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 PM

I wouldn't think that that would be cool to throw in a gun whether it be an sti or not. I get what your saying and i appreciate your experience because that's the only way you learn. I noticed the followers aren't really consistent on them either. The mag that came with the gun runs great
Old 05-12-2017, 01:40 PM

I purchased a set up tuned magazine a long time ago from Freedom Gunworks. When they arrive, all of the followers had worked their way past the feed lips and were sticking out like your's. I put them back together and they worked perfectly.......
Old 05-12-2017, 02:46 PM

I don't know how many times I've heard the "enablers" defend the rationale for the lousy magazines that came with their high-end pistols; the usual refrain being "if you can afford to spend that kind of money on a gun, what's the problem with buying aftermarket mags that actually work?" Call me picky if you will but I believe the magazines that come with any firearm that needs them, regardless of price but especially so with the so-called high-end guns, should work at least as well, if not better, than the ones you can buy from aftermarket magazine venders.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 05-12-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
I don't know how many times I've heard the "enablers" defend the rationale for the lousy magazines that came with their high-end pistols; the usual refrain being "if you can afford to spend that kind of money on a gun, what's the problem with buying aftermarket mags that actually work?" Call me picky if you will but I believe the magazines that come with any firearm that needs them, regardless of price but especially so with the so-called high-end guns, should work at least as well, if not better, than the ones you can buy from aftermarket magazine venders.
We still don't know if they work or not.

Bob
Old 05-12-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
...regardless of price but especially so with the so-called high-end guns, should work at least as well, if not better, than the ones you can buy from aftermarket magazine venders.
You, apparently, have absolutely ZERO familiarity with 2011 pistols.

There is one other option for STI magazines - that would be MBX Extreme magazines. The MBX magazines are 2x the price of the STI magazines.

When you buy an STI pistol, unfortunately, if you're realistic about it, you acknowledge there's a 50:50 chance the magazines will either work or not from the factory. If you don't want to acknowledge that reality - don't buy an STI 2011. If you do buy an STI 2011, you've bought into the possibility of magazines that need tuning so you shouldn't complain about it. It's a fact. Live with it.

So, if you're a realist, you buy the Dawson Precision Magazine Tuning Kit and spend about 30 minutes per magazine making them work - and forget about all of the "coulda, shoulda" pontifications about what manufacturers should do and what you don't agree with - and how things "should work" in your self invented, perfect world.

You can complain, waste your own time dealing with STI, or acknowledge the fact that STI is notorious for having magazine problems and simply fix the magazines yourself. The quickest and least hassle is just fixing the magazines. It's not that difficult, and once you get them tuned they work fine with no further hassle.

The pistols are good enough that it's worth the time spent tuning the magazines as the only other real options for a 2011 pistol are SVI or something like a Limcat Custom 2011. Either of those options will be anywhere from 2x to 4x the cost of an STI.

If you want a 2011, and you're realistic about STI magazines you just quit complaining about how things "should be," tune the magazines yourself and get on with shooting.

If the OP would have spent 30 minutes per magazine tuning them, he could have been out shooting the day he received them. As it is, he's waiting for STI to send replacement magazines, and I'm betting there's still the 50:50 chance with the ones STI is sending.

Yep. The magazines are the weak point for STI, they don't seem to be concerned about it so you either don't buy an STI 2011, buy an STI 2011 and use MBX magazines, or learn to tune the STI magazines yourself. If you don't want to deal with the reality of the situation, then don't buy an STI 2011 it's really that simple.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 05-12-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:24 AM

buckhorn,

Truer words were never spoken thru false teeth. ;-)

It didn't take me the full 30 mins per mag to tune either. Once you're set up it's pretty quick.

Bob
Old 05-13-2017, 10:55 AM

I've actually never had an issue with a stock STI magazine other than capacity and early lock back of the slide. With my new DVC Limited in 40, if i was cool with 18 rounds, they would be GTG.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I've actually never had an issue with a stock STI magazine other than capacity and early lock back of the slide.
You don't feel early lock back of the slide is a problem? ....okay...

Sounds like one to me, but if you're satisfied with the performance of the pistol ...then it's fine by me.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
You don't feel early lock back of the slide is a problem? ....okay...

Sounds like one to me, but if you're satisfied with the performance of the pistol ...then it's fine by me.
The most expensive wide body magazine in the Country can sometimes do that as well if you don't trim the corner of the follower or trim some material off of the slide stop.