Tucson CCW - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-23-2017, 06:43 PM

Tucson CCW

has anyone in the Tucson area gotten their CCW class from R&A tactical down on Prince? they have a classroom only class this weekend for the CCW (includes paperwork and fingerprints) but just wanted some feedback whether R&A was reputable. I'm not worried about the no range time as I've been shooting since I was a kid and don't need the basics, just the information needed to pass AZ DPS requirements
Old 04-23-2017, 07:36 PM

Don't know them. Have used Marksman and Diamondback. Are you talking renewal? I've never heard of no shooting for a new permit.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy View Post
Don't know them. Have used Marksman and Diamondback. Are you talking renewal? I've never heard of no shooting for a new permit.
Renewals don't have any tests. Just mail in your check every 5 years

And a lot of the new classes forego shooting (as it's not a state requirement) and make them classroom only

Old 04-24-2017, 12:53 PM

I did shoot Mark23 with a can{Suppressed} back 20 years ago.For firing class> Chester the Former Sheriff class. And a fun time was had by all. However in the last 20 years they have changed it up.

have fun in the class.

RON K.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:30 PM

I'm just asking, but why get the permit, as they aren't required here anymore for concealed carry. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkopscott View Post
I'm just asking, but why get the permit, as they aren't required here anymore for concealed carry. Thanks.
school zones, no NICS check when buying a gun and reciprocity.

1. School Zones... it's still a federal crime to carry within 1000 feet of any school without a permit. And if you've looked at a school map over a town, that's almost EVERYWHERE in a major city.

2. No NICS check, nuff said

3. Reciprocity with almost 35 states I believe?

Last edited by wormraper; 04-24-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
school zones, no NICS check when buying a gun and reciprocity.

1. School Zones... it's still a federal crime to carry within 1000 feet of any school without a permit. And if you've looked at a school map over a town, that's almost EVERYWHERE in a major city.

2. No NICS check, nuff said

3. Reciprocity with almost 35 states I believe?

Wise man there and right on all points.the nics makes it worthwhile. when at show pay paper and go... done baby!
And there was that carrying in a bar thing.{maybe they eliminated that lately}

All I know its easier to have it already.. instead of explaining the law to johnny.

RON K.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON K. View Post
Wise man there and right on all points.the nics makes it worthwhile. when at show pay paper and go... done baby!
And there was that carrying in a bar thing.{maybe they eliminated that lately}

All I know its easier to have it already.. instead of explaining the law to johnny.

RON K.
oooo, the bar thing, forgot about that. That's another handy feature. just easier to have it all around

Last edited by wormraper; 04-24-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:05 PM

took the class today. Ed's a nice guy. Blunt and raw, but a nice guy. Got my paperwork done, made it to the bank for the money order to AZ DPS and to the post office just in time for today's pickup... so paperwork is all in, now I just wait for the background check and the card to show up (impatiently wait I might add)

Last edited by wormraper; 04-30-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:32 PM

Congrats!
'From his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water'" -- Jesus Christ, John 7:37-38 NASB
Old 04-30-2017, 02:25 AM

thanks, I've been shooting and carrying for years (gotta love open carry and constitutional carry), but now I'm ACTUALLY impatient and excited for the permit to come in despite that lol. Silly I know, but it will be nice to not worry about accidentally going through a school zone and getting nailed (I live 1500 feet from a school zone and it's a PAIN to remember which direction I go for my daily dog walks without crossing unintentionally)
Old 04-30-2017, 05:16 PM

And no stares from people who don't know law. We still have many that move here still, And I hear the whispers that guy is packing. As I sit there and Think. I am ten feet from you and packing a 45 auto. And yet you don't know it.

Yes not drawing attention, But drawing a hidden gun is still the best surprise when needed .
glad you got it done. and joined the hidden secret society.
RON K.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
And no stares from people who don't know law. We still have many that move here still, And I hear the whispers that guy is packing. As I sit there and Think. I am ten feet from you and packing a 45 auto. And yet you don't know it.

Yes not drawing attention, But drawing a hidden gun is still the best surprise when needed .
glad you got it done. and joined the hidden secret society.
RON K.
lol, I have a story about that one. I'm down at the Cortaro and I-10 walmart one evening picking up snacks and what not and I'm standing around the line waiting to checkout. One checkout stand to my left is a cop who looks like he's coming off duty and grabbing popcorn, soda and grabbing some new release films also waiting at checkout. I look around bored and notice a "good old boy" neckbeard by the jewelry counter (the Jewelry counter is just a hop over from the registers). He looks kinda confused and the clerk is walking him through looking at necklaces (I assume it's anniversary or birthday time for the wife), but he's got a smith or ruger 357 (I'm guessing a 686 or GP100) strapped to his overalls with a gunbelt. Then we all hear this lady scream "gun!! gun!!" Myself and the cop immediately wheel around and start scanning around with our hands going straight to our hips (I was concealing at the time thanks to Constitutional carry being passed at that time) but the cop has his hands firmly on his glock. the neckbeard starts looking around too and we all finally realize that this lady is looking DIRECTLY at said neckbeard.

At this point you can see several expressions pass over the cop's face. The first is one of total relief, and then switches over to this look of "are you freaking serious?!". He walks over to the lady

Cop....Ma'am, are you talking about that Gentleman over there? (points to the neckbeard)

Lady... Yeah! he's got a gun!

Cop.... *hesitantly*, where are you from?

Lady... Massachusets

Cop.... Ah, well just to let you know, it's perfectly legal to carry a gun out in public down here ma'am, this is a free state. If you're not ok with that you're welcome to go back to Massachusets

Me... laughing my a$$ off
Old 05-01-2017, 11:33 AM

I shop there, good story and it was not me. Burger King and Village Inn have the same issues.Hopefully she has carted her butt back to Mass.
RON K.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
I shop there, good story and it was not me. Burger King and Village Inn have the same issues.Hopefully she has carted her butt back to Mass.
RON K.
lol, I hope so too, or at least opened her mind. Strange, but I open carry a LOT and I've never noticed any weird looks or horrified gasps except a little kid going "look mommy!" at me. Guess I've been lucky
Old 05-04-2017, 02:28 AM

Quote:
lol, I have a story about that one. I'm down at the Cortaro and I-10 walmart one evening picking up snacks and what not and I'm standing around the line waiting to checkout. One checkout stand to my left is a cop who looks like he's coming off duty and grabbing popcorn, soda and grabbing some new release films also waiting at checkout. I look around bored and notice a "good old boy" neckbeard by the jewelry counter (the Jewelry counter is just a hop over from the registers). He looks kinda confused and the clerk is walking him through looking at necklaces (I assume it's anniversary or birthday time for the wife), but he's got a smith or ruger 357 (I'm guessing a 686 or GP100) strapped to his overalls with a gunbelt. Then we all hear this lady scream "gun!! gun!!" Myself and the cop immediately wheel around and start scanning around with our hands going straight to our hips (I was concealing at the time thanks to Constitutional carry being passed at that time) but the cop has his hands firmly on his glock. the neckbeard starts looking around too and we all finally realize that this lady is looking DIRECTLY at said neckbeard.

At this point you can see several expressions pass over the cop's face. The first is one of total relief, and then switches over to this look of "are you freaking serious?!". He walks over to the lady

Cop....Ma'am, are you talking about that Gentleman over there? (points to the neckbeard)

Lady... Yeah! he's got a gun!

Cop.... *hesitantly*, where are you from?

Lady... Massachusets

Cop.... Ah, well just to let you know, it's perfectly legal to carry a gun out in public down here ma'am, this is a free state. If you're not ok with that you're welcome to go back to Massachusets

Me... laughing my a$$ off

Let Me guess some shriveled up and pruning cotton top that was slumming down in Marana from Oro Valley......
Old 05-04-2017, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGrath View Post
Let Me guess some shriveled up and pruning cotton top that was slumming down in Marana from Oro Valley......
actually she was only about 38-40 years old. she was the "shocked soccer mom" persona. I'm guessing a recent transplant due to husband's work or what not
Old 05-09-2017, 06:23 PM

for anyone who just got a new AZ CCW card, what does the back of the card say (can you post a pic of it).

thanks.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
for anyone who just got a new AZ CCW card, what does the back of the card say (can you post a pic of it).

thanks.
I'll let you know when I get mine. It's been 2 weeks to the day since mailing it out and I'm impatiently checking the mailbox everyday
Old 05-13-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I'll let you know when I get mine. It's been 2 weeks to the day since mailing it out and I'm impatiently checking the mailbox everyday
impatiently waiting? why's that?
Old 05-13-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
impatiently waiting? why's that?
lol, because I'm like that. next purchase means no waiting for NICS check
Old 05-19-2017, 02:58 PM

got mine in today. 20 days after sending it in (took the class and got it in the mail before pickup on the 29th of April)

someone asked for a pic of the back, I'll upload it when I can find my stinking phone lol
Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM

When I moved to Prescott from SoCal back in Nov. I started checking on the CCW rules. I was totally amazed to find out I didn't even have to do the class. First, I'm a vet with combat experience, so that exempts me. Second, I'm a certified NRA instructor, so that qualifies me as well. Wow, was I a happy camper. Compared to the maze of regs, and the time period for approval in CA (18+ months), this was a snap. Sent in my $60 and had the permit back in hand in just over 2 weeks. Totally cool. Now I don't have to leave the gun in the car if I'm just meeting someone in a bar and not drinking. This place (Prescott)is awesome!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:23 PM

wow, that's even easier than mine. And this class is basically a "don't shoot someone unless ya halfta, and the bullet comes out of this open end"....rubber stamp and send off to DPS... the hardest part was impatiently waiting for 20 days to get the durn thing in my hands lol. My FFL dealer will be happy cuz we're on a first name basis and now he doesn't have to call me in every time for the background check
Old 05-19-2017, 03:58 PM

This is what the back reads 1911_Kid