SR1911 9mm lightweight cmdr range report - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 04:41 PM

SR1911 9mm lightweight cmdr range report

I took the new Ruger lightweight 9mm commander size (4.25” barrel) 1911 out for its maiden voyage at lunch today. Shot indoors.

If all continues to go well with this lightweight 1911…. I may carry this gun occasionally. I have both an OWB and IWB holster for it… but generally carry IWB.

(My other EDCs are a S&W Shield .45ACP and a S&W Bodyguard .380... selection depends on weather, dress, where I’m headed and my mood. They both have safeties but I only carry them with safety off.) I’ll have to get used to cocked and locked… but both my 1911 holsters are good (fit to my body, retention and trigger coverage) and should make that an easy transition.

My objective was to run a few types of ammo through it—generally just getting used to the gun, the sight picture, the trigger, etc.

I wasn’t trying to “aim small, miss small” with most shots… and therefore shot at only one target from 21’ and 30’ a little, one-handed, two-handed, slow fire and fast fire… with a mix of ammo. Used Hornady 124 and 115gr XTPs, PMC 124gr HPs, and Sellier&Bellot 124gr ball ammo.

You’ll notice in the pic that I also brought along my “new to me” used S&W SD9VE 16+1 9mm. Thought I might as well give this gun a workout too… since I bought a Kydex IWB holster for it… and it fits me and the gun quite well. I may carry this one once in a while too when traveling.

SR1911 Observations

-The trigger is quite light… lighter than on either of my other 1911’s (SR1911 .45 fullsize and Springfield RO 9mm full size). I don’t have a way to measure. It’s not TOO light… just different.
-The reset is about the same as what I’m used to in a 1911… fairly short.
-I felt no grit or unusual amount of takeup. Overtravel is adjustable but I didn’t adjust it.
-The sight picture is great… nice large white dots (good for old eyes)
-The serrations on the slide are nicely “sharp” and the design has been changed a bit (from the big brother SR1911)… these are chevron shaped
-When I did shoot a shot or two slowly… seemed as if it shot at point of aim…. Didn’t use a rest of any kind.
-I’m a HUGE fan of the rubber feeling 1911 grips… I recall my compact CZ75D PCR had those… and then I found them on the Ruger 22/45 Lite I bought… they just work well for me.
-I’m also a fan of the dark grey alloy frame. Grey frame/stainless slide/black grips… I love it.
-Compared to the SR1911 .45 full size… I could shoot this lightweight all day.
-It is 29 oz and doesn’t wear me out… obviously the recoil is different as well
-It's almost like the slide is moving in slow motion… I don’t feel it slam back or forward
-I had nary a failure to feed, fire or eject

NOTE: it was almost impossible to get 9 rounds in the magazines. I had read that might be a problem and it was. I have a very good UPLULA mag loader and was successful getting 9 in once or twice. We’ll see as time goes by if it gets any better. I even tried the Springfield Armory 9mm 1911 mags and they had same problem (they are same mag… one has Ruger logo and the other is stamped with S). Maybe I’ll load all those mags up with 9 and leave them loaded (unsure if that really works to loosen them up… but I’ve read it might)

SR1911 Summary: I would buy this gun again… no regrets… love the look, feel and shoots well. Handled all the factory ammo well. It will be interesting to see if my handloads work well (I’m unsure how finicky this gun will be re: OAL, crimp, etc.) My SA 1911 9mm has proven to be finicky compared to my other 9mm guns.

S&W SD9VE Observations

-This gun also handled all the ammo type with no failures
-This gun also has nice big white dots
-This gun has no external safety or grip safety
-It has a long, very firm DA style trigger (by design)… with accompanying long reset
-The grip has some nice texturing and I can get a good purchase on that hunk of plastic
-It has a “point and shoot” feel and fits my hands and grip well
-I like having a 16+1 9mm pistol that only cost $200… lots of potential uses (truck/car gun when traveling, flying with it- in checked bag- and not worrying so much about theft/loss, carrying it occasionally, etc.)
-When (and if) I carry this gun I may never worry about having another mag handy!

Last edited by JRL003; 03-13-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 PM

Thank you for the review. I went back and forth between the Ruger and the Springfield. I had great luck with my SR1911 commander in 45 but sold it when I picked up my Sig Ultra. I ended up going with the Springfield RO LW 9mm Compact mostly because of the magazine promotion and the fact that it is $50 cheaper.... and I've always wanted a Springer... should pick it up next week.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:22 AM

Picked up a LW CMD 9mm yesterday!
Can't wait to get to the range.
I already ordered a Wolff 14# recoil spring because as others noticed, I also find the stock spring too be extremely light.
I plan to break it in with the stock spring and Blazer Brass 115grn loads but when using JHPs I will have the 14# in place.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:43 PM

So far both my SR 1911's one full size.45 and the other a LW Commander in 9mm are 100%.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:09 PM

My 6711 in .45 is no doubt about it may favorite of the several nice pistols around here. It rides around in a Yaqui or paddle level 2 well, shoots 100%. I quickly found it handles better and shoots as well as my fancy pants Colt stainless....my opinion of course...

Ruger really hit a 1911 sweet spot with this one
Old 05-18-2017, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the SR1911 CDR 9mm write up and bonus SD9VE review. If Ruger starts producing the full size SR1911 in 9mm, I'll give it full consideration for purchase.