IF you were going to purchase a Single Stack 1911 for USPSA/IDPA - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 AM

IF you were going to purchase a Single Stack 1911 for USPSA/IDPA

If you were going to purchase a Single Stack 1911 USPSA/IPDA ready, what would you expect to pay? Understanding that it has all of the features you would want from the gunsmith or company of your choice.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:51 AM

Springer Range Officers 9 or 45. Only thing needed is trigger job.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM

Dan wesson Valor. Just under $2,000 depending on your location

Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe40 View Post
Springer Range Officers 9 or 45. Only thing needed is trigger job.
Awesome! Thanks
Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 354 View Post
Dan wesson Valor. Just under $2,000 depending on your location
Thanks!!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 AM

I would get a range officer or range officer operator if I wanted one in 9mm. I would buy a les baer if I wanted one in 45 and shoot it till the blue comes off. the first I'm thinking about $800, the later you can do $1400 if you search for used.

My concept V was like $800, dawson magwell was $90, then holster and some mags. But it already has the right sights, trigger, frame, etc for me.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:51 AM
1911 Aficionado

Range Officer.
Excellent "bones" for any future upgrades that you might decide you want.
The trigger on mine was easily massaged to 3.25# without any parts replacement.
In some parts of the country, you can apparently get an RO for $750 out the door?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:15 PM

Cool Thanks!
Old 02-13-2017, 12:41 PM

Consider STI Trojan 40 for major pf, around $1100.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25lpi View Post
That's fine if you are OK with shooting minor in IDPA ESP. For CDP, stick with .45.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
This, maybe an updated version with FO front and ambi safeties from Dawson or Brazos.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:00 AM

Another vote for a Range Officer. You certainly get your money's worth with a RO. That said, I would leave my RO in the range bag and be the guy with the old Safari Arms Matchmaster... and leather gear.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:41 AM

Another vote for the RO (have both 9 and 45)but you may need a trigger job and a F/O front sight. I'd check the weight on the RO operator first before buying. Not sure if the rail may put you over the CDP/ESP weight limit. Both mine complete with trigger jobs, F/O fronts, magwells and extra mags came in under 1K all in all done and I wouldn't trade the wife for her DW.
JD
Old 02-14-2017, 09:04 AM

The Range Officer is excellent, no doubt. Have a few myself. However, for gun games, if I was looking for just a single, dedicated pistol, I would seriously consider the S&W E-Series guns. Absolutely phenomenal at their price point, with checkered front-straps standard. At less than $900 in some circles, it's tough to beat. I've used a couple for quite a few matches over the years, and they've acquited themselves very, very well - right there with the usual cast of characters. In my opinion, that's where the external extractor really shines - gun games: lots and lots of rounds later, no tuning necessary, no channels to clean, and the over-sized claw extracts with a vengeance each and every time. Anyway, just my 'heretical' opinion, as usual, I tend to jump off the party wagon early in the ride! .
Old 02-14-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
This, maybe an updated version with FO front and ambi safeties from Dawson or Brazos.
Yup, this is exactly what I was thinking while reading the first post before I scrolled down.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 02-14-2017, 10:40 AM

Handled a guys new RO 9mm at a match Saturday. That trigger simply could not be improved upon. These guns are very good 1911's.

But, if I wanted to shoot either USPSA or IDPA, consider that with a 9mm you are stuck shooting minor in USPSA or in the ESP division of IDPA where double stacks come to play.

.40 and 45 acp has their compromises as well.

In full disclosure, I acquired an RO Compact for the new IDPA CCP division. I did put an after market trigger in it, the orginal was a little gritty. and I had the parts on hand. This little gun is impressive to me. It would serve a younger, stronger, more accurate shooter well.

Last edited by SoonerPast; 02-14-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: add clarity
Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 AM

I have seen good reviews of the Colt Competition. I'd add a mag well funnel.

But to echo the thread, a gunsmith here says if you are going to start with a working gun (instead of paying him to build from parts) and improve/personalize/customize, the RO is the way to go.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerPast View Post
Handled a guys new RO 9mm at a match Saturday. That trigger simply could not be improved upon. These guns are very good 1911's.

I've seen very, very few factory triggers that I thought were good.

And it depends on what you think is a perfect trigger.

I like sub 2# with no takeup, it's like a button.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:25 PM

I'm not able to buy a new RO here in California so I went with a Springfield 1911 Loaded Target. It comes with the ambidextrous safety which the RO does not, nut has a black front sight where the newer ROs appear to have a FO front sight. I plan to add a Dawson FO front sight and then shoot it a bunch and decide what else I need to do. Trigger is a bit heavy but crisp and clean, so that will be a good place to start. Plus a magwell and maybe some grips. Then it's just keep shooting since practice is where I think money should be spent!! Just 4 more days in California limbo before I can pick it up!!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:59 PM

I have learned (rifle competition) that you cry once... That being said there are many choices for you to consider from the above. JUST Think About It Long And Hard.. Buy the features now with the exception of front sights maybe or grips, magwell..

Thinks like the perfect trigger and fitment are baseline for me. For a perfect as they can be the best Production Custom is a Cabot. Might consider it. Yes it is more money if not that then I know people will shake their head but at the SHOT this year handled the new Colt GC extensively. It impressed me and that is hard to do............
Old 02-14-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerPast View Post

But, if I wanted to shoot either USPSA or IDPA, consider that with a 9mm you are stuck shooting minor in USPSA or in the ESP division of IDPA where double stacks come to play.

.40 and 45 acp has their compromises as well.
IDPA has a mag limit of 10 rounds. Wilson or Tripp sells 10 round 9mm single stack 1911 mags that will put you on an even level in ESP, at least as far as the number of rounds... They stick out the bottom a little, but you would probably want to use a magwell anyway.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
STI no longer offers the Trojan in .40 S&W. Still a lot of new ones around I'm sure. Check with Brazos Custom.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:19 PM

Depending on what game you wanna play you can choose 2 calibers to make it worth the while.

9mm will get you a good gun for ESP in IDPA and you can do Limited 10 in USPSA but be scored minor.

If you go with 45 you can do CDP in IDPA and Limited 10 in uspsa but get major scoring as well.

40 is a great choice if you just want to do USPSA but it doesnt get you anything worth having for IDPA. You cant do CDP and it has no advantage in ESP other than just giving you a bigger hole to get scored a little better.

If it was my money I would look at these.

Dan Wesson Valor (both 9 and 45)
STI Trojan (9 and 45)
STI Lawman (if you can find any anymore)
Dan Wesson Silverback (9 and 45)
Springfield RO (i have one and love it)
Colt Competition (9 and 45)

Good luck! Hope you find something you enjoy!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:06 AM

Thank you everyone for the response!!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:43 AM

If looking at the Springfield guns, the Loaded Target is about the same gun. Springfield has so many model names for the same gun in either a different finish or sights or some other option. I bought a SS Loaded Target 9mm for my wife as the basis for an ESP gun. One of the other members here has at least two of them and has a lot of rounds thru them.