Sights question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 01:02 PM

Sights question

I want to order new sights for my TRP and my Range Officer. See the picture below for the front sights on both guns. Is the TRP (on the left) pinned in place? Note the small hole in the sight. If so do I need to drive this pin downward through the bottom of the sight and through the top of the slide to remove it or will that not work?

On the Range Officer (on the right) is there a pin under the fiber optic tube or can I just remove it by using an MGW Armory SP1000 Sight Pro?

Or how would you do it? The rear sight will come off easily. I am just concerned about how to remove the front sights.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:06 PM

I believe the hole you are referencing has to do with the tritium insert. That sight is not pinned in place. Both sights can be removed via the dovetail in the same fashion.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:13 PM

What sights ya gettin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardballHammer View Post
I believe the hole you are referencing has to do with the tritium insert. That sight is not pinned in place. Both sights can be removed via the dovetail in the same fashion.
TRP sights are pinned. 1/16” roll pin. The RO may be pinned but I have no personal experience with the installed FO sight.
Easy to tell by field stripping and inspecting the slide bore emptied. If there is a hole in the bore in line with the sight hole it should have the pin securing the sight. And punching from the sight down will remove the pin. Most builders through drill the pin hole. There is one builder, last name starts with a B, that doesn’t. Reason unknown and servicing those sights is difficult to say the least.
Joe
Old 11-08-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
TRP sights are pinned. 1/16” roll pin. The RO may be pinned but I have no personal experience with the installed FO sight.
Easy to tell by field stripping and inspecting the slide bore emptied. If there is a hole in the bore in line with the sight hole it should have the pin securing the sight. And punching from the sight down will remove the pin. Most builders through drill the pin hole. There is one builder, last name starts with a B, that doesn’t. Reason unknown and servicing those sights is difficult to say the least.
Joe
Interesting, did not realize they were pinned. Thanks for the correction!
Old 11-08-2019, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will check the inside of the slide for the pin hole. I will probably go with John Harrison's night sights on the Range Officer and I don't know yet about the TRP. I may put his sights on the TRP or I may still just send it back to Trijicon to replace the now dim tritium vials. The TRP is 6 years old and the factory sights have gotten much dimmer especially the front sight.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:06 PM

just making you aware (unless you know already)

these dovetail sights are not drop in (you might get lucky) but the majority have to be fitted.

Another area you need to confirm is sight height.

good luck
Old 11-08-2019, 09:37 PM

Oh yeah, I learned about that. I cut my sight fitting teeth on a Ruger 1911 with its proprietary size dovetail that no one makes a night sight to fit exactly. All I could do was order the closest fit and then file a little, check it, file a little check it, for several hours. Finally got it in and it fit nice and tight and stayed put.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:37 PM

good deal!!!!!
Old 11-09-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will check the inside of the slide for the pin hole. I will probably go with John Harrison's night sights on the Range Officer and I don't know yet about the TRP. I may put his sights on the TRP or I may still just send it back to Trijicon to replace the now dim tritium vials. The TRP is 6 years old and the factory sights have gotten much dimmer especially the front sight.
Check out Dawson sights for trp. I had the exact same circumstance. Sent sights to trijicon, while waiting, got dawson fiber optics for my trp. ........great sights ........ and the trijicons ended up on another build.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 06:50 AM

I've got some Dawson front fiber optic sights that I am going to try to get installed today on a pair of 1911's.

One of them is a Range Officer. It's a 9mm that I've shot various brands of 115gr ball through but will now be getting dialed in on custom made load for it that I'll be sticking with. One of the benefits of handloading.

Once that's done....I would like to go to a fixed Dawson rear and get rid of the adjustable monster that has been the source of cuts when I rack the slide overhanded....and in a hurry.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:53 AM

Have you checked with Dawson for the application? I only know of one source for the LPA adjustable SA sight to fixed sight exchange. John Harrison.
Joe

Last edited by Jolly Rogers; 11-10-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Let me come back and answer my own question for anyone else who is interested.

I ordered a set of adjustable night sights for the range officer from Kensight. I found out that they are the OEM sight manufacturer for several brands of 1911's including Springfield Armory. They have a set that will fit the LPA cut of the rear sight and Springfield's cut for the front sight.

When I went to remove the original sights I found that the range officer's original fiber optic front sight was not pinned. I was able to remove it with an MGW Armory Sight Pro sight pusher. Some models of adjustable rear sight have one or sometimes two set screws. You have to back out the height adjustment screw all the way and flip up the middle part of the rear sight that moves up and down as you adjust and when you flip it up you see the set screws. This one did not have those set screws but was very tightly press fit in place. The sight pusher was not enough to remove it. I had to clamp down the slide in a vise and use a steel punch and hammer to remove the original sight. The new rear night sight was very tight going in after I got it more than 1/4 of the way in. So I backed it out and used a small jeweler's file to remove a little material from the front and back of the sight base then I tried it again. I had to remove and file a little one more time before I was able to get the rear sight in all the way with the sight pusher. Not too bad. I have installed other sights that took a whole lot more tries than this to get the filing just right. This set was much easier than others I have done.

As far as front sight height the original front sight blade is 0.180 inches tall above the slide. The set in the link below comes with a 0.200 high front sight but there are various heights available so I specified a 0.180 inch tall since this worked well on the original sight. With this height I was able to set the height of the rear sight just a few clicks from being all the way down that it will go so that the gun will shoot point of aim. With a 0.200 high front sight you will have to raise the height adjustment of the rear sight a bit to make it shoot point of aim. I liked the cleaner look of the rear almost all the way down so I got the 0.180 high rear sight.

Below is a link to the set I got, but again, I specified a 0.180 high front sight instead of the 0.200 it comes with.

https://stores.kensight.com/copy-of-...l-front-sight/