Just signed up for my second class - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2017, 09:21 AM

Just signed up for my second class

A vickers class in South Dakota, advanced pistol. Pretty stoked about it. I took his 1911 operators class last year, and an looking forward to what I can gain from this class. Taking my trp operator and Wilson cqb. Other than spare tuned extractor and replacing recoil and firing pin springs before I go, anything else you guys can recommend?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 04:05 PM

Just....

Lots of ammo.

I have taken several Hackathorn classes, and a few Wilson classes as well, and Vickers was on my agenda for this year - I will take my first Vickers class in September of this year, and am looking forward to it.
Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Dillon RL550B
Old 02-15-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
Lots of ammo.
And plenty of mags (and pouches) if you're shooting a 1911. Safe to say the vast majority of your fellow students will be shooting with much higher capacities and many drills geared to that. You'll be doing a lot of mag changes.
It's a great class, we took it a few years back and affectionately called it the "woodchipper"!! You'll have fun and learn lots.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Lots of ammo.

I had to ship about 40% of my ammo [volume stated in a class description] back home after my first class with him. It was carbine and rifle class so it was quite a bit of ammo to ship, not inexpensive. His classes are not very volume intensive. Unless one is driving, I'd be conservative with this and I'd research local opportunities to replenish the ammo after day 1 should it become necessary.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:40 PM

I figured on doing mag changes, and lots of them. I'll go with 10 mags. I'll be driving, so extra ammo is not a problem getting home with. I know it'll be geared to the non 1911 crowd, but I'm OK with that. I'll just get to do more mag changes than they do! Insert smiley face thing.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVK View Post
I had to ship about 40% of my ammo [volume stated in a class description] back home after my first class with him. It was carbine and rifle class so it was quite a bit of ammo to ship, not inexpensive. His classes are not very volume intensive. Unless one is driving, I'd be conservative with this and I'd research local opportunities to replenish the ammo after day 1 should it become necessary.
Very good point. I have noticed that class size often affects number of drills done, so affects number of rounds fired as well. The Hackathorn and Wilson classes I've taken have varied based on class level - beginner classes are often a bit slower per drill due to lower proficiency of students, while advanced moves along nicely and more ammo is used; and the size of classes too - the larger the number in the class, the fewer drills (and rounds downrange) that can be fit into a single day. The smaller size classes, particularly intermediate and advanced usually get closer to that number they told each person to bring.
Example - my first Hackathorn class was 18 people, intermediate level, and we went through 350 rounds per day for two days - not far off from the 800 round advice; the next one was a refresher that was a beginner level, 18 people, and the round count was down to just under 250 per day; quite a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubet View Post
I figured on doing mag changes, and lots of them. I'll go with 10 mags. I'll be driving, so extra ammo is not a problem getting home with. I know it'll be geared to the non 1911 crowd, but I'm OK with that. I'll just get to do more mag changes than they do! Insert smiley face thing.

just make sure your mags are in good condition with good springs; and 8 to 10 mags should do, although I always have an 8-mag carrier filled with extra spares (WC 500-HD +P mags with FW springs). The class I'm attending in September is a 1911 class, so I won't be too out-of-place, but I've been to a few that were not 1911 oriented and yeah, a little friendly teasing from the crowd - no big deal. Have fun, it'll be great.
Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Dillon RL550B
Old 02-16-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Very good point. I have noticed that class size often affects number of drills done, so affects number of rounds fired as well.
Very true. On the opposite side of a spectrum of your examples, I've taken several private and semi-private classes and shot about 700-800 rounds a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubet View Post
I know it'll be geared to the non 1911 crowd, but I'm OK with that.
He is still more accuracy than volume oriented. You took his class, you know what's coming. I'd be drilling those B8 targets at 18-25 yards before his class if I were to attend one again.