Colt Defender flush fit mags. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 02-14-2017, 05:14 PM

Colt Defender flush fit mags.

Hello all,

Sorry in advance for redundancy but I cannot seem to find all the answers in past threads. I am looking for replacement mags for my 9mm Colt Defender. I have read and been told numerous times that the factory issued ones are bad news because of the metal followers in them. I see everyone states Wilson makes some of the best ones but I want to find replacements that are flush fit. All of the Wilson Combat mags seem to protrude from the grip bottom.
It also appears that some of the Wilson, CM and tripp mags have metal followers as well...

Any recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Wadely; 02-15-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Where did you hear that the metal followers are bad news? I'm not so sure I believe that, but anyway, Midway has some. Brownells was out of stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/208...-7-round-steel

The only person a Gun Free Zone protects is the person doing the shooting.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 AM

If you are avoiding any follower, it would be the Devel follower Chip McCormick uses. They have a reputation for tipping out of the mag tube and dinging aluminum feed ramps, assuming your Defender has a non-ramped barrel and an aluminum frame. This is a non-issue for steel framed guns or guns with a ramped barrel.

There are no other followers known for dinging feed ramps, even Chip McCormick offers their Power+ follower that is advertised as aluminum frame safe.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 AM

As an aside, while I understand the desire for the utmost in concealment, I think the desire for flush fit mags is overdone. Does your Glock have a flush baseplate? Your Beretta 92? Your M&P? Your XD? Your HK?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:44 AM

GI followers would be fine. Wilson's polymer follower won't tip out. Tripp's hybrid follower won't tip out. CheckMate offer's their patented follower (CMF) that is similar to McCormick's, but adds a front leg or bullnose, that keeps the follower in the tube. MetalForm has a round top follower that isn't going to tip out. There are lots and lots of options. As I said above, anything but the Devel follower, and you're fine.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:31 PM

I have had no problems with my Colt 9 mm magazines for my Defender. Incidentally, they don't look at all like the magazine shown in the Midway ad.
Well, yes, I have a few guns...