1911Forum banner

This is why you don't leave your guns in your vehicle...

6K views 51 replies 38 participants last post by  silvercorvette 
#1 ·
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ime-spree/ar-AA8f4qV?ocid=ansnewsap11#image=2

An 18yo male and 13yo female are on the run in the South, stealing from stores and people and writing bad checks, and evading the police. They stole one vehicle, crashed it, and then stole another one with two handguns kept inside by the owner. Now the teens are ARMED and dangerous. I hope this ends well, but I suspect it won't.

#2 ·
Does not sound as if they intend it to end well anyway, just hope they don't take others with them, not to mention the LEO's now en-danged by a careless gun owner.

#4 ·
These kids homes are 2 counties from mine & this is getting a lot of local news. I'm seeing an increased presence of LEO around here also (KSP is really making their presence known, more than usual).
Sounds like a modern day Bonnie & Clyde. I pray this ends without incident but I find it unlikely.

#7 ·
Yes, sometimes you have no choice but to temporarily leave your weapon in your vehicle. The problem here is with having a "truck gun", meaning a firearm you leave in your vehicle 24/7. Vehicles are little more than mobile thief magnets, and for most people it's not a matter of if but when you get your vehicle broken into or stolen.

According to the article this 18yo male has a real problem with authority, and now that he's armed he'll more than likely end this by doing something really stupid.

#8 ·
-- Unfortunately it seems to work just the opposite. The more coverage rejects like this get in the media, the more other maladjusted social outcasts see of their actions and think, "You mean if I do that I could be famous TOO? Sign me up!" Wasn't it one of the recent spree shooters whom friends had described as "obsessed" with studying the Columbine pair? I'm all for freedom of the press, but I also think the media loves to make instant celebrities out of sensational criminals, and that fame is a magnet for other hairbags (especially young ones) who don't care what they're famous for, as long as they get their name spelled right.

#12 ·
I did once.

They stole an underdash cassette deck and cb radio.

They left a shotgun in the trunk and a 100 toz bar of silver in the glove box.

Stupid Thieves.

#10 ·
Sometimes you have no choice, most government agencies have metal detectors. If I have to go to motor vehicles, social security, post office does not have a detector but everything from guns to knives are banned. If I need to run a few errands and one of them involves the government I have the choice of leaving my gun in the car for one of my stops and carry my gun the rest of the day. Or I can leave my gun home and spend the entire day unarmed

#13 ·
When dropping them off for us to work on my customers occasionally warn me to "be sure and keep an eye on my car/truck", "be sure to keep my car locked", "my glove box is locked" etc. BECAUSE "there's a gun in there". I reassure them that "that's alright, 8 out of 10 vehicles left here for us to work on have guns, drugs, booze, money or any combination thereof in them". "Yours ain't nothing special".

Mine's usually got a gun at the very least.

Bob

#14 ·
I had my car broken into twice (once at home & once at work, both times broke the window), no guns in the car but lost a pair of Oakley sun glasses, $6.00 in change, cd's and a Kershaw Blur.

I don't keep firearms in an unattended vehicle, don't want them to fall into the wrong hands.

#16 ·
This is really easy to fix.

You just make it an automatic death penalty for theft of firearms. with limited or no appeals. This works really well in the middle east. Unfortunately most of the politicians in this country are too busy lining their pockets to raise their children properly. So on the chance that one of their spawn is picked up for this. They are not willing to take the chance.

at some point we just have to ask ourselves as a society. Do we want this kind of thing to end or not? But considering how much money the lawyers all make from protecting goons from real punishment. I do not see this ending any time soon.

#19 ·
You just make it an automatic death penalty for theft of firearms. with limited or no appeals. This works really well in the middle east.

at some point we just have to ask ourselves as a society. Do we want this kind of thing to end or not? But considering how much money the lawyers all make from protecting goons from real punishment. I do not see this ending any time soon.
Ummm...no.

A firearm is merely property and is not worth such extreme measures.

#20 ·
seems to me like anything that happens is more the result of bad teens on a rampage than someone leaving a firearm locked in a truck.
I have to leave mine locked up while i'm at work as my employer bans firearms inside the facility....but our parkinglot is camera covered.
any other time, my sidearm's with me.
lets put the blame where it belongs.......the criminal

#38 ·
They can afford to buy guns, but cannot afford to buy some type of safe to lock them up in? They may not get the best safe on the market, but I find it hard to believe they cannot afford some type of safe or locking steel cabinet made for firearm storage.

#24 ·
I am not adverse to the idea of responsible gun ownership that if you buy a gun you should also buy a safe, however I would be against legislation towards that end. We, as individuals, need to own up to the heavy responsibility that comes with gun ownership. And I'm not necessarily suggesting one needs to buy a 800 lb safe to hold a handgun, but I am saying buying a lockable box that you can secure to a fixed location wouldn't hurt in maintaining a higher level of safety in the home...ditto with "truck guns" like the gun box we all drop our carry guns into when we go to the post office.
I worked in New Orleans for three years about twenty years ago and read the newspaper every day. The police blotter would report that (it seemed like) every night 1 to 3 guns went missing out of cars and every day there was a killing of some young person; I'd read the police blotter and then I would scan the rest of the paper and somebody got shot.
For me, I got this phobia of someone shooting me with my own gun and someone shooting someone else with one of my guns, I feel I would be responsible and I can't live with that comfortably, I figure most of the forum feels the same way.

#51 ·
I wholeheartedly agree with this post. Here we have a very high amount of vehicle break ins. The police will do nearly nothing to catch the thief. It allows one person to commit the same type of crime many times over rather than spending a few months in jail. It would be nice if the police finger printed every car theft and arrested some thieves so the tax paying populace can walk out to our car every morning without holding our breath until we see that none of our windows or locks were broken.

Around here safes do little to deter thieves. They just take the whole thing while the whole neighborhood is at work.

I do not fool myself. I lock up my firearms so my children don't get into them and something tragic happens, not because I think a thief will be unable to steal them.

Hit up some Seattle gun forums and crime blotters to see what I am saying for yourself.

#30 ·
Yes, I guess that it is just better to let all of the lawyers make all the money.

Plea bargaining things down. Maybe we could strike a compromise. Japan allows no plea bargaining. They have a similar penalty scale to ours. This seems to work well for them. As their crime rate is pretty low as well. Unfortunately, them not having plea bargaining ends up with a lot of the King pins walking around when they should not be. It sure would be nice to have a one size fits all solution to all of our problems.

#31 ·
I'll never forget reading a story about a kid who left his car unlocked outside his house one day. He had left some hoodies and pants in the back seat all in a messy pile, and when he came back outside his car door was open. Nothing was missing, and all his clothes were folded neatly in the back seat. It really freaked him out, until he saw his mom laughing at him from inside the living room window.

#29 ·
My F250 has been broken in twice in the last 5 years. Last time they destroyed the ignition cylinder trying to start the engine and they punched out the driver side lock. Each time, the repair is just under the deductible $500.

But stealing trucks in this area is a big thing, especially the Ford F series because the door cylinder locks are poorly designed. They punch right out. They use the big heavy duty trucks to ram through store fronts in the new craze of crash and grab late night burglaries.

But when they fail to get the truck hot wired, they will take anything, usually the glove box is opened and the center console ransacked.

I don't even lock my glove box because that'll be another $150 to fix if I lock it. As far as keeping a gun in the car. Only if I must go into the post office for 2 minutes, otherwise I go home and lock it up at home. Usually on election day since the polling place is a school, and I can't even have a gun in the parking lot.

#33 ·
I can just see while walking up to my car and seeing someone in it and wind up getting shot with my own gun. This would be something that would happen to me.

I see no logical reason to leave a gun in the car. Nor do I leave my wallet in the car either.

Bob

#34 ·
Some of you fine fellas are real quick in making up NEW Gun control ideas for the other side!!!!

NO guns in Car/Trucks ! Really? Are you sure you are pro 2nd A or perhaps not so much...

I have and will continue to store my guns anywhere I chose to do so legally. Under locked conditions. If someone decides to commit a B&E and gain possession of my property, now somehow you want to make it my fault?

Gun control takes many forms. We need not feed the fire ourselves.

#36 ·
some of you fine fellas are real quick in making up new gun control ideas for the other side!!!!

No guns in car/trucks ! Really? Are you sure you are pro 2nd a or perhaps not so much...

I have and will continue to store my guns anywhere i chose to do so legally. Under locked conditions. If someone decides to commit a b&e and gain possession of my property, now somehow you want to make it my fault?

Gun control takes many forms. We need not feed the fire ourselves.
+1

#41 ·
I think that a responsible gun owner has a certain burden that goes with it.

You would certainly take precautions to prevent children from having access to your guns. Additionally I think that there is a certain level of moral obligation to keep Miscreants from having access to them as well. Additionally, I would also surmise that different procedures will be merited by many different factors. This could be defined by where you live as well as any number of other factors.

However, I do not think that this moral responsibility extends to a sense of culpability for any events that may transpire as a result of ones firearm being stolen. This culpability entirely rests upon the perpetrator of any violent or illegal act regardless of where or how they obtained firearms or anything else for that matter, that they utilize in the commission of their crimes.

This dog can chase it's tail forever. Is the vendor of alcoholic beverages responsible for victims of drunk drivers? Is the chemical company that makes the precursors to fabricate meth responsible for the people whose lives are ruined by methamphetamine?

In certain cases like this it would seem to be that the answer to this question is yes. Look at the judgments that were finally made against the tobacco industry. When you want to start pointing fingers at people. It is important to keep things in perspective.

Be careful what you wish for. For you will surely get it!

#42 ·
You would certainly take precautions to prevent children from having access to your guns. Additionally I think that there is a certain level of moral obligation to keep Miscreants from having access to them as well. Additionally, I would also surmise that different procedures will be merited by many different factors. This could be defined by where you live as well as any number of other factors.

However, I do not think that this moral responsibility extends to a sense of culpability for any events that may transpire as a result of ones firearm being stolen. This culpability entirely rests upon the perpetrator of any violent or illegal act regardless of where or how they obtained firearms or anything else for that matter, that they utilize in the commission of their crimes.

This dog can chase it's tail forever. Is the vendor of alcoholic beverages responsible for victims of drunk drivers? Is the chemical company that makes the precursors to fabricate meth responsible for the people whose lives are ruined by methamphetamine?

In certain cases like this it would seem to be that the answer to this question is yes. Look at the judgments that were finally made against the tobacco industry. When you want to start pointing fingers at people. It is important to keep things in perspective.

Be careful what you wish for. For you will surely get it!
I agree with what you are saying and what I want to add is that it is a function of regional crime statistics.

Where I live, car burglaries and car thefts happen late at night between 2 am and 5 am while people are sleeping and on people's driveways or in apartment/housing parking lots. The second most common time/place are the busy mall garages during the holiday season. So the idea of having a permanent car gun, dwelling in the car 100% of the time means the likelihood would be very high that it could be stolen.

On the other hand, occasionally leaving a gun in a car because of necessity, in a place where car burglaries rarely occur, during busy daylight hours and for a short period of time, parked on a busy lot with lots of traffic coming in and out is not necessary an absence of responsibility. Car thieves rarely like to be seen doing their handiwork.

#43 ·
Stolen guns

I can see both sides of the issue. My neighbor continued to keep his 40 Glock in his truck.

I said Billy people know you here and know your truck very well.

I asked him politely several times to stop. He says I've been living here all my life never had any thing stolen out of my truck. Okay

Sure enough a couple years ago, thieves use a piece of porcelain to shatter the pax window. No more Glock. Takes all of 15 / 20 seconds and it's way quieter than you think. I expected them to also use the garage door opener programmed in the truck and go in and shoot him with his own pistol.

I try my best to plan my errands and hate to leave my pistol in my truck.

Here in good old Fla they use a small piece or porcelain to whack a window, 90 % of the time the window shatters totally, within seconds they are in and gone. It's so easy they do this to steal change for toll ways.

Dan :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.