Grip Making How-To....Pics - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 PM

i just decided i would give it a go. ill show you guys how its turns out in a couple days
Old 02-20-2011, 09:40 PM

How light are everyones grips getting during the sanding process. I laid up some out of a burgandy duck cloth and some red as well. They both got pretty dark under the resin, which I expected, but they got a lot lighter than I expected while I was finishing them. Under hot water thay go back to a darker shade, which looks pretty good. I guess the biggest question I have is how much on average is everyone seeing the color change from the original fabric colors.

edit: Wow, apparently that was my first post ever, I guess I have the lurking box checked
Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 PM

i used red and black canvas cloth, and they are pretty light but i havent finished them yet. i think i might have to a fresh light sanding before i polyurathane them . i am finding the hardest part right now for me is trying to dremmel in the design i want on them lol. so i have stalled on the ones i was making for a couple days. but i will finish them and hopefully they come out as i am imagining them to be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imq707s View Post
Awesome info here!!

I also gave my try at doing this.....what do you think??

I went with more of a matte finish instead of a super glossy finish. There are just the first three pairs I made, I'm going to try to make some more when I get time!

Man u nailed it. Im trying to decide which set...... is the coolest. REALLY look good on your guns. A++++ Just cant say enough.
wow
Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 PM

Has anyone yet explored the use of different texture material and combinations of material? Burlap, silk, twill, etc.?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 PM

Just picked up my first 1911 and joined here.....holy crap these are some good looking grips!!! My wife is already cringing cause she knows I'm gonna be making grips in the basement now!!!!

Thanks for all the tips!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 PM

Here is my USMC grips, this is how I do it

GeorgiaCarry.Org Life Member
Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
How light are everyones grips getting during the sanding process. I laid up some out of a burgandy duck cloth and some red as well. They both got pretty dark under the resin, which I expected, but they got a lot lighter than I expected while I was finishing them. Under hot water thay go back to a darker shade, which looks pretty good. I guess the biggest question I have is how much on average is everyone seeing the color change from the original fabric colors.

edit: Wow, apparently that was my first post ever, I guess I have the lurking box checked
welcome!
I have made a few grips from cloth and resin,and yes when you sand them they get real light.And when you wash the dust off they turn dark again!
But I found out when you apply the clear coat they trun dark again,almost like they were wet! Hope that makes sense
Here a couple pics of my grips

Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Has anyone yet explored the use of different texture material and combinations of material? Burlap, silk, twill, etc.?
I've tried satin,from an old sheet that my wife gave me to try. Didnt turn out very well,I think the satin soaked up the resin and took on the color of the resin.So they were very plain looking,not to mention it took a lot more resin!
I would think silk would be somewhat the same,but don't know for sure!!
Good luck
Old 03-17-2011, 04:29 AM

Really, really, cool custom grips! I might have to try this some day!

Objectivist Blogger @ Erosophia

COTEP #CBOB0470
Old 03-18-2011, 05:39 PM

Technical question... How do you make the little tabs that cover the holes in the frame on a double stack Para? I totally have all the tools to do this and really want to make them but that little tab seems like it might screw with the works though.
Para Ordnance P13x2
Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusP13 View Post
Technical question... How do you make the little tabs that cover the holes in the frame on a double stack Para? I totally have all the tools to do this and really want to make them but that little tab seems like it might screw with the works though.
I have never made a set for a double stack! But Ive read on another thread that they are very hard to make,I dont think anybody has made any as of yet! You may have to be the pioneer and make the first pair Good luck !!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Wow very informative learned a lot, but, i don't think i can make my own.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 AM

This thread got me so excited it's embarrassing.

I just purchased my first 1911 yesterday, and sent it off for some changes. Had time to do a tracing of the grips first, so I have my first set curing in the basement right now. It's a double stack, so that's what I'm attempting. Wish me luck!

Notes on the first batch? Next time, I'll be doing them in the garage, with the window open, and a box fan in the window. Whew.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frinko View Post
This thread got me so excited it's embarrassing.

I just purchased my first 1911 yesterday, and sent it off for some changes. Had time to do a tracing of the grips first, so I have my first set curing in the basement right now. It's a double stack, so that's what I'm attempting. Wish me luck!

Notes on the first batch? Next time, I'll be doing them in the garage, with the window open, and a box fan in the window. Whew.
Yea I guess someone should have told you,A lot of fumes
Hope they turn out well for you
Old 03-26-2011, 07:58 AM

COOL...looks like another potential "project" on the list!! Great thread!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned

Awesome!

Wish I had the time to do this!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzman5369 View Post
Beautiful craftmanship!! You have a really gifted talent. Not everyone can be that good for sure.
I tried to PM you, but you need to adjust your settings I believe.

Reid Pistolsmithing, LLC.

www.reidpistolsmithing.com
Old 04-02-2011, 05:29 PM

here is my first grip that i've made the past week. i know i need to improve & my photography skills absolutely stink so dont be too hard on me haha.

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/x...0402011554.jpg
Old 04-03-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebsd View Post
here is my first grip that i've made the past week. i know i need to improve & my photography skills absolutely stink so dont be too hard on me haha.

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/x...0402011554.jpg
I think they turned out really nice.especially for your first set. Keep up the good work!!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsparkie View Post
I think they turned out really nice.especially for your first set. Keep up the good work!!
thanks for the kind words, ill post more pics up when i have time later so you can see the detail on it better
Old 04-04-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebsd View Post
thanks for the kind words, ill post more pics up when i have time later so you can see the detail on it better
I look forward to seeing them!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 PM

wow bravo !!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 PM

i have added a simple little mod/upgrade whatever you want to call it. i replaced the factory black grip screws with Wilson Combat stainless screws. very simple & easy to do & adds a little bit to it

sorry for the crappy picture, it was taken from my cell phone. if you want to see the before pic look in post #119 to see it with the black grip screws. anyways here it is.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/x...0407011752.jpg

Last edited by unclebsd; 04-07-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:38 PM

Very cool!

I've been wondering what to do as my son is left handed and I'd like to have him start on a High Standard Victor that I have. Thing is that is has distinctly Right-handed grips with a large thumb rest on the left grip that gets in his way. They are quite similar to 1911 grips and you've given me some ideas...