1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-08-2019, 08:31 PM

Hot-glue bullets

You old-timers will remember these.

A younger friend of mine does security-work and is always wanting to improve his shooting, but he doesn't make a lot of money to pay for range-fees and ammo. I've decided to assist by introducing him to hot-glue bullets - that way he can shoot inside his apartment and incur very little expense (basically just primers).

Now, I used to cast wax bullets when I worked for an armed response company in Cape Town so we could easily, cheaply and safely practice room-clearance and the like inside our company HQ - and they were pretty accurate and fed well when cycled by hand from the magazine of our CZ75s. Problem was, they took a long time to cool and they bent after a few firings, so I decided this would likely be more efficient. I've never made the hot-glue version, so I had some fun experimenting yesterday with a new glue-gun and a 2nd-hand 9mm Lee mold.

The simplest way I found is to spray Pam inside the mold-block faces and cavities as well as on top of the sprue-plate - you can cast 10-12 glue bullets before they start to stick a little and it needs more Pam. It also makes removing the glue-sprue easier if you drag glue between the cavity-holes on top of the sprue-plate too (as in the photo below) - that way the sprue just peels off in one go.

It takes a minute or two for the glue to solidify enough to remove the bullets, so it's kinda slow going - I found it best to do some chores and throw bullets in between.

With that said, these are not people-safe - they WILL welt severely (don't ask how I know this), so don't shoot them at anyone. They're reusable and are easily-stopped by a few layers of towel etc behind a cardboard target - I don't know how long these glue versions will last, but they seem to be pretty solid yet slightly rubbery.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Last edited by AndyC; 12-08-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:49 PM

powered by just a primer ? or do u adda very few grains of powder ?

it's a teen,tiny town in Texas.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Pretty neat, it's a lot like the plastic and rubber bullets CCI used to sell along the same lines. Personally however I prefer to use realistic Airsoft guns instead for indoor or backyard training. That way I get a semi-auto weapon instead of having to hand-cycle for each shot. Back when revolvers were king however training bullets like these were very popular.

BTW when shooting stuff like this indoors like in a small apartment, be aware that the primers are throwing small amounts of lead into the atmosphere (unless you use lead-free). It's probably a good idea to have a fan running or windows open (assuming it's not loud enough for other tenants to hear it). Also wipe down the kitchen counters before handling food.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyShooter View Post
powered by just a primer ? or do u adda very few grains of powder ?
Primer only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
BTW when shooting stuff like this indoors like in a small apartment, be aware that the primers are throwing small amounts of lead into the atmosphere (unless you use lead-free). It's probably a good idea to have a fan running or windows open (assuming it's not loud enough for other tenants to hear it). Also wipe down the kitchen counters before handling food.
Ah, yes - good reminder, thanks.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 12-08-2019, 11:01 PM

Sounds like fun. I use to use the Speer plastic bullets and cowboy wax bullets in my wheel guns. I found that drilling and countersinking cases to use shotgun primers worked a lot better. But I couldn't believe how dirty you guns got after shooting those. I don't think I'd use them indoors though for the contamination mentioned.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:57 AM

What type of buildup do you get in the barrel, if any?
How many times can they be used? Do the grooves tear them up?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:26 AM

I've done that for some .38 revolvers. I think about the only thing I did differently is that I smeared some case lube around the glue bullets before I hand pressed them into the .38 cases.

I don't recall any residue left in the revolver barrels at all. The rifling didn't seem to harm them at all, but the bases were very sooty and got tore up after a couple firings.

Penetration is surprisingly good with these considering how light they are. With my .38 loads they'd penetrate about 3 layers of cardboard from about 5 ft.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyShooter View Post