Would you recommend a 9mm Range Officer Target for a bullseye pistol? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-27-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I can just tell you that a close in 9 with the 9mm you are thinking about would be a 10 with the .45 you already have and shoot. You are basically handicapping yourself by dropping down to the 9mm.
For the overwhelming majority of us mere mortals that holds true, but at the top level 9 mm is king in CMP service pistol and has been for a long time in the M9. Now that 9mm 1911s are legal some folks are building those. The faster cycling and greater accuracy negate the scoring ring benefit of 45 ACP for an elite shooter. Non-professional shooters don’t practice enough typically to work around the cartridge downsides (recoil, flash, noise, etc.). The top guys each year at Perry are still using 9mm for service pistol. Now that 185 gr JHP are allowed for 45 and you can load your own the gap in accuracy has closed significantly and IMO serves the majority better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaJoe View Post
I like my 9mm. Mild shooting and accurate. This is a good model to use to train a beginner on a 1911.
For beginners I start them on a Nelson Custom 22 conversion. If they can’t post Expert scores with a 22 then 9mm or 45 ACP isn’t going to get better. Easier to master fundamentals although you can get away with bad habits in 22 that you can’t with 45 ACP.
Distinguished Pistol #388

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 11-27-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
Up to 6x the price at $4,000

Not required to earn leg points. Win a National Championship...maybe. Not required to even make the P100 IMO. For a Tyro shooter an accurized RO will take you to distinguished easily. If your goal is to win the CMP or P100 match things change. Again, since they advertise hand fit, IMO this isnít really a production pistol IMO.

Sounds like you already have a terrific 1911. If I may, I would recommend using some starting loads that are known performers....see test target from my ball gun below. There is an error, it should be Federal Gold Medal Match vice LR Primer. Iíve also posted the link to the Bullseye forum loads of High Master shooters. See how that "feels" and download until you are comfortable. I'm around 3.9 - 4.0 on the short line, some pistols can get lower charges than below and still do well at 50 yards, but that requires a rest of some type to validate. The only downside to the powder pufff loads is the slide is a little slow to cycle and you need good follow through. The 9mm guys next to me at the P100 match were still in the air when I was already settling in for the next shot. Unfortunately for me, USAMU is downloading their 9mm now at 25 so the advantage is evaporating and I'm going to try a 9mm 1911 before I have another built to how I like it.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t1209-...-from-the-past

https://youtu.be/gHffBQ82eC0

That's pretty much the same load I use, and I find it softer than 9mm.
I really like Zeros, but, a few of my .45s are a little more accurate with Nosler, but, they cost twice as much
Old 12-01-2019, 02:36 PM

I bought a RO in 45ACP in the fall of 2014 for about $740 on a special sale that included 3 extra mags and a plastic mag pouch. Then in Jan of 2015 I saw one in 9mm for $719 at the same store. I thought they had mismarked it and bought it. That LGS had them at that price for over a month. Anyway it is interesting to have them to shoot along side each other. It was also nice that I could look at several before selecting the one I wanted to buy although with a new pistol the LGS in question will not let you field strip them.

Both these have ILS which I think has thankfully gone the way of the Dodo. They also have the last three digits of the serial number on the bottom of the slide which makes me think SA may keep them together and fit one to the other.

The other stamped number does not relate to the serial number and my guess is a number stamped into the slide by whoever makes it for SA these days. Of interest the ejector is not pinned in but the front sight is. Just mention that as that might make the front sight harder to change and some people have reported problems with the glued in ejector.

I shot bullseye in prep school and college but that was years ago. Still I would think the price is nice on the RO so some extra money could be used to tighten up the groups at distance. So far I can make smaller groups with the 45ACP but I have lots of 45ACP target ammo. Friends tell me I need to get 9mm target ammo and I have been buying varieties of that. Would be further down the road with this but got distracted by 38 Super and 10mm, not to mention shooting rifles at 1000 yards.

I will hopefully get back to them in the future as I have noticed the same situation with a Colt GCNM in 9mm I bought in 2017 when shooting it next to the one in 45ACP I bought new in 2015.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I cannot imagine a stock SA being competitive in Bullseye.
I have won a BE match a couple of times with my stock full size RO, using my handloads. A very accurate pistol.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...5-acp/#PI9124L