red dot sight - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-15-2019, 05:45 PM

red dot sight

Im looking to put a red dot type sight on a 16 in. carbine with FSB. will be using a rear buis. trying to keep it at or under $500.00..... was looking at the aimpoint pro....any opinions on this?.... I also seen the eotech 512, like the view on that sight...Suggestions welcomed....thanks. Both of the above optics are about the same price range.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:00 PM

The pro is good. But it is big and heavy for my tastes. I like the Trijicon MRO. Much better. Check that one out.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:14 PM

If you want the best/most durable dot sight, you have to go with the Trijicon MRO which is selling now for $100 less than when I bought mine. However, you need to know one thing - all reflex dot sights work the same way regardless of price. I recently paid $23 for one on Amazon that I put on a .22 rifle. Red, blue or green 5 MOA dot with adjustable brightness, takes a C2032, cast aluminum housing, hermetically sealed, smooth-working adjusters and it holds zero. When you pay big bucks for one you are buying quality of materials and manufacture, not one that is clearer or that works better.
I have an MRO on my carbine and I'm certain unless there's a terrible accident I will never have to replace it. It also takes a C2032 and the sight is supposed to run for 5 years in the #3 brightness position. So there are benefits to paying $300 - $500 for a dot sight but one of them is not basic function.
Tip; if you get one that takes a C2032, get the Eveready Lithium. I'm using those in my sights, garage remotes and car fobs - the difference is real.

Don't let the front sight base trick you into using a tall mount (lower one third co-witness). The shorter 'full co-witness' set-up still leaves plenty of room over the front sight for the dot. With a reflex sight, it doesn't matter where the dot appears in the lens, the dot is still sighted in (assuming you have sighted it in). If you sight in the reflex sight and then the irons at the same distance, then have the sight on while you look through the sights, the dot will sit on the front sight post. This is 'co-witness', a cute feature that amounts to nothing. You would never use both sights at the same time because it would defeat the purpose of having the dot sight, which when used alone is twice as fast as irons.
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remanaz View Post
The pro is good. But it is big and heavy for my tastes. I like the Trijicon MRO. Much better. Check that one out.
This. Unless you want the higher end Aimpoint I have to admit the MRO is kick ass right now, I really like it and am now buying them as standard over the PRO and ACO since its so light and a great price to just throw on everything. I use LWRC backup irons or SCAR backup irons folded down on all my serious use RDS guns since I do believe in backups but also don't want them in my way at all. On those guns though I run Aimpoint COMP M4s and COMP M5s for the best in battery and durability, other non-serious guns I don't bother with irons since they just add weight.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 03-15-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by remanaz View Post
The pro is good. But it is big and heavy for my tastes.

You guys gotta hit a gym sometime!

The Pro is just fine, and there are numerous mounting options for it. Battery life is tremendous, especially compared to the Comp M/ML 2 & 3.

Like all Aimpoint products, it's rugged and damn near indestructible. Aimpoint CS stands behind their products, too. For a red dot, they don't come much better. Unless your 9lb rifle is too heavy as it is.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post

The Pro is just fine, and there are numerous mounting options for it. Battery life is tremendous, especially compared to the Comp M/ML 2 & 3.

Like all Aimpoint products, it's rugged and damn near indestructible. Aimpoint CS stands behind their products, too. For a red dot, they don't come much better. Unless your 9lb rifle is too heavy as it is.
Okay.....now add on a PEQ-15, sling mounts, light, and a hand stop of some sort and you are well over 10lb. 10lb is kinda the most that is practical for more people. If you never use the rifle tactically who cares, go ham and attach everything up to and including a bipod.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 03-15-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Okay.....now add on a PEQ-15, sling mounts, light, and a hand stop of some sort and you are well over 10lb. 10lb is kinda the most that is practical for more people. If you never use the rifle tactically who cares, go ham and attach everything up to and including a bipod.
You forgot the suppressor. Was doing some work tonight with NVG's and a couple hours in I was starting to notice the added weight from the MAWL.

Back to the topic at hand I like the MRO but the PRO is an excellent pick as well.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:56 PM

The Pro was awesome but has been eclipsed by the MRO. It’s half the weight, just as durable and the battery lasts 2 years longer. Plus I don’t get the tube effect looking through the MRO. I have both BTW.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post

I have both. I still rather save weight and size.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:45 AM

I have 5 Trijicon MROs, and thought it couldn't get any better....until I saw the new MRO with a green dot.

The green dot version doesn't have that very slight blue tint to the lenses that the red dot version has. And, is supposed to be easier to pick up on any background, as it is a color of green not found in nature.

I need to pick one of these up, and will, for my next build.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye fan View Post
You forgot the suppressor. Was doing some work tonight with NVG's and a couple hours in I was starting to notice the added weight from the MAWL.

Back to the topic at hand I like the MRO but the PRO is an excellent pick as well.

Doh, yeah you are right. I totally skipped over the can! For some reason my mind was like ďcan is already on gunĒ when I was typing that. Probably because mine is.......
Old 03-16-2019, 12:50 PM

Iíve yet to demo an MRO, but they sure look like a winner, especially the green dot.

On the other hand, the PRO is a keeper. As mentioned, you wonít feel the additional weight during a HD situation, and itís hardly noticeable at the range, especially if you shoot supported or if youíre a bench shooter.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Went to store this morning and looked at mro and pro....I really wanted to like the trijicon mro but looking through it the dot looked fine but everything else looked kinda blurry/wavy.....like it was moving alittle... maybe a slight magnification, or maybe my old eyes. The aimpoint pro ...everything looked fine. So I ordered the aimpoint from brownells....10% off and free shipping today.......will it cowitness with iron sights? Size and weight didnt seem to bother me.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zito1553 View Post
Went to store this morning and looked at mro and pro....I really wanted to like the trijicon mro but looking through it the dot looked fine but everything else looked kinda blurry/wavy.....like it was moving alittle... maybe a slight magnification, or maybe my old eyes. The aimpoint pro ...everything looked fine. So I ordered the aimpoint from brownells....10% off and free shipping today.......will it cowitness with iron sights? Size and weight didnt seem to bother me.
You donít need a cowitness. Use fold down irons that you zero separately from the RDS. Zero the RDS on its own with you naturally on the rifle when you bring it up since that is the stance you will use it in during a fight.

There is no reason to have the irons flipped up with a RDS, all they would do is ruin part of the speed advantage of the RDS.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
You donít need a cowitness. Use fold down irons that you zero separately from the RDS. Zero the RDS on its own with you naturally on the rifle when you bring it up since that is the stance you will use it in during a fight.

There is no reason to have the irons flipped up with a RDS, all they would do is ruin part of the speed advantage of the RDS.
Rifle has fixed front sight, flipup rear
Old 03-17-2019, 03:36 PM

According to Aimpoint's website,

"Height of optical axis - sight, mount and low spacer: 39 mm (1.5 in) over top surface of Picatinny/Weaver Rail

This will put it at absolute co-witness height with the irons. You made a solid choice. If I'm ever in the market for another RDS, I will check out the MRO.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I don't even see my front sight when using my Aimpoint Comp M3 or MRO unless I deliberately look for it.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Good choice! I have an M2 and a PRO, my buddy has the MRO. I like my Aimpoints.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Cut the front off, I would keep the actual gas glock part since the way A2s are pinned on is excellent. Also will allow you to mount a longer, free floating rail.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:19 PM

I have three, an Aimpoint PRO, a Vortex Spark II and a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot.

For $400.00 I have been very happy with the Aimpoint PRO. My rifle is setup with just the Aimpoint and a sling. I do not see the 5.56 being a good round out past 400 yards and even that is stretching it, in my opinion. As a result, I do not see the need for a magnifier and have never been a fan of gun mounted lights so there really isn't anything else I want to put on it. This still leaves me with about a 7lb rifle, with an empty magazine.

For the other two, I prefer the Spark II. The PA Advanced Micro Dot does have much better battery life, but it also has a red glare that shows up across the left side of the lens. The Spark II just has much clearer glass and since it has an auto shut off, I can live with the battery life.

I prefer the Aimpoint over the other two and it lives on my AR while the Spark II bounces back and forth between my 10/22 and my M1A, although it is soon to take up permanent residence on the M1A. The PA Advanced Micro Dot on the other hand, pretty much lives in its box and will probably end up being replaced by something else.

Maybe I'll try the Trijicon MRO if I can dig up the cash. If so, then the MRO will probably end up on either the AR or the M1A, with the Aimpoint PRO residing on the other, while the Spark II moves back to the 10/22
Old 03-17-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
It will cowitness. Pro is still an excellent optic, you couldn’t go wrong either way. You will b happy. I do like that aimpoint has the clear back lens cover so if you have to bring the rifle up quickly with both eyes open you can still use the dot if both lens covers are closed.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Cut the front off, I would keep the actual gas glock part since the way A2s are pinned on is excellent. Also will allow you to mount a longer, free floating rail.
Good lord. Or use a lower 1/3 mount and leave everything alone. You'll have zero issues. You'll never even notice the iron sights with the red dot, but when you want them, look, and they're there.
L.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
Good lord. Or use a lower 1/3 mount and leave everything alone. You'll have zero issues. You'll never even notice the iron sights with the red dot, but when you want them, look, and they're there.
L.
You absolutely will. There is an entire section that you would otherwise be able to see things in that will be obscured by the FSB, again if you want to use an RDS then use one properly. Don't have an unneeded afterimage of the sight post blocking a 1/6 of the window or more and FAR more importantly fighting for attention in your brain.

Sure it becomes mostly transparent if using both eyes, but it is one more thing to process and will fight you for attention vs not having it there when it is not needed at all.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:08 PM

I went to the range on Friday to function test some handloads and perform a rough zero on a lower 1/3 co-witnessed Crossfire. With the Troys deployed, I adjusted the dot onto the top of the front post, then was going to complete the zero process.

I folded the rear (then apparently got distracted) and zeroed the RDS. After it was zeroed and I had shot it for a while, I sat the carbine down....and realized that the front sight was up. Yep, not only did it not bother me....I didn't even notice it.

The larger window of the PRO will make the front post even less noticeable, and I've run the PRO on a LE6920 a few times without the front post causing an issue.

I am sometimes annoyed when using an RDS with a DD 1.5 fixed rear in front of it, so I moved the fixed set to an HD carbine I don't use for typical range visits.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
You absolutely will. There is an entire section that you would otherwise be able to see things in that will be obscured by the FSB, again if you want to use an RDS then use one properly. Don't have an unneeded afterimage of the sight post blocking a 1/6 of the window or more and FAR more importantly fighting for attention in your brain.

Sure it becomes mostly transparent if using both eyes, but it is one more thing to process and will fight you for attention vs not having it there when it is not needed at all.
You're entitled to your opinion. But I don't agree with much of what you've said. Your statement of the sight post blocking 1/6 of the optic is ridiculous. Obviously, you should do what works best for you.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=381752

Last edited by L.E.; 03-18-2019 at 12:43 AM.