1911Forum banner

Defensive Hollowpoints With Aluminum Frame

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  KCJeep 
#1 ·
For those who carry an aluminum frame 1911 in 45 ACP what type/brand of hollowpoint do you use that doesn't chew up the feedramp on the frame?

#2 ·
Never had that issue with any of my alloy framed 1911's.

The nose profile on Critical Defense 185gr HP is almost idential to the ball load. Some have issues with the poly tip causing hangups, but in 8 of my guns, no problem. You might want to give that load a try.

The 3" Kimber Ultra's all have ramped barrels, so no problem with alloy feed ramps there.

#4 ·
I have a 3 inch Ultra and I ended up running Golden Sabers for PD and no issues. I tried many others but these are consistent and cause no ftf. Eats ball all day no issues. I do have some marks on the frame below the barrel ramp where some I tried took a nose dive.

#5 ·
Kimbers - 2 full size,1 compact, D.W.-1 PM9, all 4 feed anything you give them. The compact is the only one with an aluminum frame, I prefer gold dots for it and have never had a problem with them. I had an Ultra [that I probably should have kept] that would shoot anything and was more accurate than it had any right to be. I also had a Springfield EMP that wouldn't shoot anything very well, even after a trip back to them. Get me once, shame on you etc., Haven't been anymore S.A.s around here.

#9 ·
If you are seeing dings in your feed ramp check the followers in your magazines.

First are you using non-tilting followers? These will have a sort of "skirt" that prevents tilt.

"Folded" followers generally may tilt allowing the follower to engage the feed ramp on the last round and may leave a ding!

Smiles,

#10 ·
I tinker with ammo a lot, my Pro Carry will shoot most but I still experiment with and favor rounds that want to feed easier. There is a reason Golden Sabers have been mentioned so many times here. Also had very positive test results with PPU Defense Line, Winchester Silvertips and Federals SynTech Defense.

Only thing I have tried so far that truly hung up on me were Federal 230 Hydra Shoks. Those were bought by accident I meant to grab HST's which have a better feed profile I believe.

#11 ·
When I have actually carried my Commander, it was loaded with hardball.
I have, since, bought the 185 Critical Defense, but doubt I'll shoot much of it.

#13 ·
I also did some un-scientific water jug tests using 9mm CD 115gr out of my Kimber Ultra CDP; one of my rotational carries, as the stuff functions 100% in the six guns I use it in. (Sig P938 loves it also)

From 7 yards, bullet was recovered in jug #5 perfectly expanded.

Same exact results with 185gr CD in my .45's with even better expansion to .75". I'd say it qualifies as a good CC choice.

#14 ·
Hornady makes very high quality ammo for sure. Lucky Gunner did not have good luck with the Hornady's in .45 however. A few on YT had the same problem.

Yet it is my carry ammo at work in 9mm and I also have Critical Defense loaded in my .40 vehicle gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.