Are you a member of the NRA? - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a member of the NRA?
Yes 177 85.92%
No 29 14.08%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2019, 08:02 AM

Just joined GOA and RMGO (Rocky Mnt Gun Owners).

The NRA's conditional support for any Red Flag bills concerns me.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ith-conditions

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=990562

Last edited by 1911GTF; 05-17-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 AM

I signed up for a 5 year membership about a year ago. We'll see about life membership at the end of that membership.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Whatever is right above life member. Wife is Life, 1st son is life.
Won't donate until La Pierre and the Fl cat lady are gone.
Va is about to get raped (again) this Nov and the Dems will control the whole state, therefore the VCDL will get all funds related to the 2A.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:36 AM

member and NRA instructor

I also donate to NRA-ILA
Old 05-17-2019, 03:25 PM

I’m one of the “no” votes.

First off, I’m glad the NRA exists and I don’t go around bad mouthing them. I don’t think there is anyone else capable of doing what they do. I’ve spent some time supporting them but I don’t believe I’ve ever directly donated to the NRA.

My reason for never getting excited about a membership is petty. I just plain don’t like their marketing/mailings. That’s the 30,000 ft view. I won’t say any more on the open forum but if anyone is interested I’d elaborate in PM.

In my defense, when I’m reflecting on this admittedly elitist prickish behavior emanating from my otherwise hillbilly like persona, I look up the number for the office of a state or federal politician who needs a talking to and try to educate them. But I know my voice doesn’t compare to professional lobbying.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_ Max View Post
Not trying to stir the pot but I have an honest question for the loyal NRA members of this thread. With the NRA supporting "red flag" laws,
https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...s-due-process/
And the recent news about Wayne LaPierre, what would it take for the NRA to loose your support?
The NRA is supporting ERPO laws because they seem to be getting more popular by the day. There really isn't any advantage in fighting those because just about every state will pass them in the near future. The NRA is opposed to any federal ERPO legislation. When you have states passing ERPO laws every year and president Trump supporting state ERPO laws it's kind of stupid to be on the outside looking in don't you think? The org. is trying to stay relevant.

I think it has a lot to do with the way these laws are written and the NRA has made it clear what those conditions should be. If there is any element of those state laws that is unconstitutional (and there will be) the federal courts will have a say in that.

As far as WLP goes, I guess they need to address that sooner rather than later. I think they will if they survive all of the 501 investigations.

I don't think right now is the time to cut them loose. Wait a year and see what happens.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheOzone View Post
The NRA is supporting ERPO laws because they seem to be getting more popular by the day. There really isn't any advantage in fighting those because just about every state will pass them in the near future. The NRA is opposed to any federal ERPO legislation. When you have states passing ERPO laws every year and president Trump supporting state ERPO laws it's kind of stupid to be on the outside looking in don't you think? The org. is trying to stay relevant.

I think it has a lot to do with the way these laws are written and the NRA has made it clear what those conditions should be. If there is any element of those state laws that is unconstitutional (and there will be) the federal courts will have a say in that.

As far as WLP goes, I guess they need to address that sooner rather than later. I think they will if they survive all of the 501 investigations.

I don't think right now is the time to cut them loose. Wait a year and see what happens.
I see your point but you could use that argument to justify almost anything. You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.
At the end of the day these laws are backdoor gun confiscation. I can't wrap my head around a gun rights organization supporting them, no matter how popular or inevitable they may be.
It would be like an enthusiast group for lifted diesel trucks supporting legislation for strong regulations on greenhouse gas emissions.

Last edited by Mad_ Max; 05-18-2019 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I see your point but you could use that argument to justify almost anything. You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.
At the end of the day these laws are backdoor gun confiscation. I can't wrap my head around a gun rights organization supporting them, no matter how popular or inevitable they may be.
It would be like an enthusiast group for lifted diesel trucks supporting legislation for strong regulations on greenhouse gas emissions.
yep. and its perfectly ok for an org to disagree with whatever anti gun laws come to be. the NRA needs to have a clear enough-is-enough line that it will not cross.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:20 AM

25 year member, re-up every year. I have never been 'happy' with the NRA but I will continue my membership in it and at least the GOA as long as they are viable and effective in the legislative/legal arena. The NRA is on the cusp of change, and change is going to come. They have felt the heat and they know why we are PO'd. Personally I never want to see another envelope in my mailbox from them with some 'offer' or plea for more money disguised as a membership renewal. These 'scams' are very condescending and are better suited to mail-order merchants than a dignified organization with the primary purpose of protecting the basic human right of self-defense and the Constitutionally-protected 'keeping and bearing' of firearms.
WLP and others have 'drank the Kool-Aid' of the executive lifestyle in Northern VA. The 'new' NRA will be slimmer and harder-hitting, with no excuses and no back-sliding.
On the 'red-flag' laws, they should not support any legislation which infringes on gun rights, period. It is not the business of a gun-rights organization to do so - it is their business to fight any such legislation that carries with it the possibility of misuse resulting in gun confiscations from those who should not be affected. From what I know of these laws, all it takes is a phone call from a disgruntled spouse or neighbor and you will be descended upon by a SWAT team without any investigation or conversation whatever. This kind of over-reaction can only serve to raise tension and make violent incidents more prevalent. Any gun owner in America could be victimized under these laws on any given day - there has to be more of a history there before the authorities go crazy and SWAT you - like serious threats in public, for example, not some retaliatory 'he said' gossip.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
One thing's for sure. Things are going to change for the NRA.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:01 AM

I can’t believe that there are more no votes for this poll than there are for the “380 being crappy” poll. What is wrong with you guys. It is the single largest group that we have working for our interests. Is it perfect? Obviously not, but ya gotta support the cause. Just throw away the crap mail if you don’t want it and unsubscribe from newsletters. I personally feel that I have done my part in this fight. If we begin to lose traction, you “no voters” can partially blame yourselves!
Old 05-18-2019, 10:32 AM

NRA Life Benefactor
SAF Yearly re-up
OK2A Yearly re-up
Old 05-18-2019, 12:30 PM

I've been a member since '86 or '87, and a Life Member since shortly thereafter ('91, I believe). So has my wife (Life Member).

Very early on, I got tired of all the mailings. I called them once, and told them I wanted MY donation money spent on fighting for my 2A rights, NOT funding junk mail. Other than magazines and emails, they have NEVER sent me another piece of "promotional" mail since. I also told them I would pay attention to when I needed/wanted to contact them to donate more money, not the other way around. They have so far respected that.

Still the biggest and best game in town for their purpose. They haven't lost my support.

Having said that, they need to (and will) get their house back in order. Nothing like the sunlight shining in an open window to expose their housekeeping flaws.

(Edit...I also called recently and told them I wasn't interested in funding Wayne's wardrobe, either. I buy my own damn clothes, appropriate for my profession and income--so can he!)
Old 05-18-2019, 12:31 PM
Adminstrator

Well said Ag.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:56 PM

Not joining the NRA because of calls and emails that are easily stopped is an exercise in mental masturbation. 🤯
Old 05-18-2019, 03:09 PM

Imagine the NRA’s power if it had 10 million confirmed members. The Brady Bunch and assocoated idjits would be squashed. Now imagine if the NRA had 20 million members.

Join the NRA even if you do not agree with everything they do!
Old 05-18-2019, 03:17 PM

I've been in the NRA for more than 30 years and hope I can make another 30.
GOA member for at least half that long and recently joined the SAF.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
The 'new' NRA will be slimmer and harder-hitting, with no excuses and no back-sliding.
I really really hope so. If they right the ship, I'll rejoin. I want to support the NRA, I understand how important they are and the influence they have. But I can't just follow blindly.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:16 PM

Applied for Life Membership the day Bill Clinton was elected.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:37 PM

Benefactor Life for myself. Life memberships for my three children and my three grandchildren. That’s seven lifers, so far.

The NRA has been through “management changes” before. It always came out stronger because good people held them accountable while not dropping their support for the organization.

Those who don’t wish to participate, no problem. But we all might want to say “thank you” to members who have had our six for the last 40, 50, some for 60 and 70+ years.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:57 PM

I have been a NRA member for over 50 years now. They haven't changed that much in 50 years which is probably a testament to their longevity.

The NRA has never been into public firefights nor do they react publicly when someone nips at their ankle. They have reacted publicly in the past (decades ago) and it backfired. This was perceived as a weakness. The press preys on everything the NRA does and distorts this. And the press is not the only one guilty of doing this.

The NRA, for over 50 years, has aggravated the crap out of me asking me for money and I highly doubt they are going to change this either. Ask my wife about NRA solicitation calls. Gets ugly.

And during this whole 50+ year process I became a Life Member about 18 months ago.

Last edited by frogfurr; 05-18-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I really really hope so. If they right the ship, I'll rejoin. I want to support the NRA, I understand how important they are and the influence they have. But I can't just follow blindly.
So, what have you been doing to support the cause?
You see, this is part of the problem. Like the other post, what if there were 20 million members? Hey, maybe we could take over the media! Perhaps just push legislation for journalistic integrity. Build more ranges, push education of firearms safety, put Eddy Eagle back on TV...........
We can’t do any of it without members. We sure as hell cant continue to fight off the commie attacks from the left.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:18 AM

Two common aversions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Absolutely, unapologetically, "YES".

I know which team I'm on, and I'm not interested in losing.

Nor am I interested in engaging in small, petty squabbles when there is a huge war needing to be won.
^^^ this ^^^

Plus, again, those who disagree with -something- NRA had done: changing it comes only from inside, only from voting members in fact. And with this current kerfluffle, *now* is the time voting members have an unusual opportunity to address the structural flaws. Among those flaws: at least one permanent position of high power, with very narrow means of removing an occupant - in a fraternal-style organization.

The solicitations are very nearly a non-issue: as others have written, NRA will stop the solicitations on request. Each year I get one from NRA and one from NRA-ILA: that level of importuning, I can handle. And that’s apparently just due to telling a few callers “Once per year I’ll donate to NRA-ILA”. A handful of ILA “alerts” about news I already know ... circular file. The only phone number given out is a land-line ~never answered by a human. A dedicated phone robot takes messages ... few msgs are left: scammers and solicitors rarely leave a message ... except the robot-scammers.
;- }

Last edited by tgt_usa; 05-19-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:21 AM

Got in on a Life Membership about 5-7yrs ago when they offered it for $300. Haven't seen it that low again but did see it for $500 which would still be a great deal.
WC TSG 9/45 Vickers Elite 9mm EDC X9/Nighthawk Classic Bob Marvel SS 9mm/EB PATRIOT 3 EB KC/KC LW/SACS TGO-1 PC9111 Nowlin PC9111R PC9102 Nowlin PC9104/Colt SCGRG SCGRGC M45/Anvi III /MEUSOC 1911/1943 Ithaca/Les Baer 1.5 TR NRA Life Member
Old 05-19-2019, 12:49 PM

Life Benefactor member. Can't remember how far back I joined. The NRA is the most effective pro-Second Amendment organization in the country, despite the recent dust up at the Board level. That said, for those who have their reasons for not joining, I encourage support of the Second Amendment Foundation.