Colt officers Lightweight Enhanced Model 80 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Colt officers Lightweight Enhanced Model 80

I literally just picked this up off law-a-way from my LGS, please excuse the filth. It's a Lightweight Officers "Enhanced" model 45acp. I know a little about the Officers already and know the LW Enhanced model wasn't the most produced version, so I'm looking for a production number on these little gems. Considering I only gave $675, I think I did pretty good. I've seen them go for as much as $1000.
Please pardon the filthy beast, she'll get some TLC over the weekend and I'll put some after photos up. The grips have to go and be replaced with something deserving of such a nice pistol. Thoughts, how many made like this and possible value?
The obligatory pictures.
Thanks,
Tray
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0842.JPG   IMG_0843.JPG  
Old 05-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Once you sell the grips on it you might have an OK deal. There is no way to find out how many of those were made. That one was produced from 92-97 I think. Nice guns, yours is a little beat up, but who cares, just go blasting!! They were around $500/$550 retail back then.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:40 AM

Smart purchase! Great little guns and the LW frame makes it even better. The one weak spot according to many is the barrel bushing. Order a reverse bushing set up from Wilson Combat or similar and your good to go. Keep in mind that you have no MIM parts in it that I am aware of plus selling those lazer grips will really have you in that gun cheap!
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
Smart purchase! Great little guns and the LW frame makes it even better. The one weak spot according to many is the barrel bushing. Order a reverse bushing set up from Wilson Combat or similar and your good to go. Keep in mind that you have no MIM parts in it that I am aware of plus selling those lazer grips will really have you in that gun cheap!
No MIM parts, great to hear that! She's in "tear down" mode right now. Thinking about having all the carbon steel parts high polished blue and the frame re-anodized, but I'm going to wait and find out about the production number first.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0844.JPG  
Old 05-13-2019, 08:14 AM

I think I have the same gun. How do you know its the enhanced version?

Love the gun. My barrel is throated and it feeds anything. I replaced the dual recoil spring with a flat wire from Wilson. I had it many years and this is the only thing I have done to it. I BOUGHT and installed the CT grips. I love them.
David
Old 05-13-2019, 08:29 AM

"E" last digit in serial number. Flat top slide, undercut trigger guard,etc makes it an "enhanced". The OP's gun has a aftermarket trigger. Everything else looks stock.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:55 AM

Did a serial number search, mine is a stock model 1988. Dependable as can be and accurate.

David
Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM

Nice LW Officer's Model, congrats on a great find.

I have two that I've had for many years...bought both new on the same day. One was sent immediately to Novak's for customization, the other is still in the box in case the first gets worn out, or I decide I want something different made.

They make nice carry pieces, I carried my custom OACP for years, but have been carrying a 5" Gov't for the past many years; I only occasionally go back to the Officer's now.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck View Post
Once you sell the grips on it you might have an OK deal. There is no way to find out how many of those were made. That one was produced from 92-97 I think. Nice guns, yours is a little beat up, but who cares, just go blasting!! They were around $500/$550 retail back then.
No, not really, just really dirty when this was taken. It does have a couple of scuffs but no dings are gouges. I think I'm going to have it re-finished anyways.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:24 PM

What finish and grips do think you will choose?

Oh, I went right by where you said polished blue and anodize. Be careful the rollmarks are not over polished, they can be affected quickly as they have been polished once already at Colt.

I went with the EGW recoil system with Clark plug. I also dislike the enhanced Commander hammer and duckbill, so put in a rat tail and ring hammer. A long trigger and a checkered MSH also.

Last edited by pyunker45; 05-14-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:45 PM

A lightweight is nice. I have two steel ones. The blued 1985 I have left alone and even managed to find dual recoil springs off Ebay. I got it with the box and papers for $650. The SS Compact is from 2000. It had an aftermarket trigger in it that bothered my finger so I fit a new trigger from Cylinder and Slide in it. It has the Wolff recoil spring with one end larger than the other although I did get a new recoil system from EGW which I have not put in it yet. I also put on new stocks from Altamont. It was a little under $600 in a LGS when I got it.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:11 AM

Awesome , this is exactly what I would like to pickup , character marks and all built in .
Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck View Post
"E" last digit in serial number. Flat top slide, undercut trigger guard,etc makes it an "enhanced". The OP's gun has a aftermarket trigger. Everything else looks stock.
Hey Joe, what was the original trigger, I never have liked the 3 hole aluminum trigger anyways?
Ordered some grips and will be upgrading some parts to Wilson. Hopefully they'll "just" refinish it for me, they advertise they don't work on anything shorter than 4" on their web site. I'll do all the upgrades myself.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray burge View Post
Hey Joe, what was the original trigger, I never have liked the 3 hole aluminum trigger anyways?
Ordered some grips and will be upgrading some parts to Wilson. Hopefully they'll "just" refinish it for me, they advertise they don't work on anything shorter than 4" on their web site. I'll do all the upgrades myself.
Good question on the trigger. I use to have that gun but I don't remember if it was plastic or alloy. Is was solid black and medium length if I remember correctly. Maybe somebody else here knows. I would just get an long alloy solid black one for it. No plastic.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 PM

On my last one I went completely BLACK with it...
but recently sold it.

The original trigger would have been a LONG plastic one, being an Enhanced model made PRIOR to the XS 'upgraded' models. Colt's plastic trigger only came in a long version.
Attached Thumbnails
LwtOffACP 002.JPG   LwtOffACP 007.JPG   LwtOffACP 008.JPG   LwtOffACP 012.JPG  
'99 Colt CCO, Colt Officer's ACP Enhncd, Colt Clapp Commander 9mm/.38super, Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Kimber Super Carry Pro, Kimber Ultra .40, Kimber Combat Carry .40, Kimber Pro Carry 9mm/.38super, Dan Wesson Valkyrie CCO 9mm/.38super, Beretta 92C, M&P PC ported .40 CORE, M&P 2.0 Compact .40, S&W 4040PD, S&W 296 44spl, S&W 625-6 & 629-2 Mtn Guns.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:48 AM

While Iím not into CT grips (and youíre replacing them anyway) I donít see a thing Iíd change about that pistol. Iím not that picky about my pistols anyway, anything free of rust that shoots reliably and accurately is good enough for me. A little honest wear just gives it character.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:24 AM

The owner of my LGS told me when he bought the gun from the previous owner that guy tried doing a "bubba-izing" trigger job on it and ruined it. My friend (LGS owner) took it to a well known gunsmith in our area who's well known for his trigger jobs and had him work on it. He replaced the original trigger with the 3-hole aluminum one you see. By the way, the trigger is amazing now, barely any creep, breaks like glass at around 3-4lbs with zero over travel. I won't be touching the trigger.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:42 AM

Tray - they made at least 1205 in 1993 alone by comparing your serial number to mine. I did a serial number search and found that the model changed to a Conceal Carry Officer at LF07307E. This tells me that they made 6305 of the Light weight Enhanced officers between 1992 and 1997. I purchased Joe's gun on GB and it does have a plastic trigger. The non-enhanced models had a serial number that started out with LFA.
Attached Thumbnails
3.jpg   1.jpg  

Last edited by JCByers; 05-17-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCByers View Post
Tray - they made at least 1205 in 1993 alone by comparing your serial number to mine. I did a serial number search and found that the model changed to a Conceal Carry Officer at LF07307E. This tells me that they made 6305 of the Light weight Enhanced officers between 1992 and 1997. I purchased Joe's gun on GB and it does have a plastic trigger. The non-enhanced models had a serial number that started out with LFA.
Thanks' JCByers, good to hear. Now I'm not sure about "Wisonizing" it. The plan was to replace the sights, double springs and plug, slide stop/release, and grips with Wilson components. Maybe the duck tail too, but I kinda like it for now. I'd like to have them refinish it, but they advertise they don't work on anything shorter than 4", but seeing this is just refinishing it maybe they will, I need to call them. My grips will be in todays mail and I'll be shooting it on Sunday. Do y'all think I should leave it alone for future vale or do the "Wilson" plan?

Last edited by tray burge; 05-17-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:59 AM

Another option to insider would be Accurate Plating and Weapory- AP&W is a fabulous place to get your gun refinished plus they can do anything else to your pistol that you could possibly desire.

https://www.apwcogan.com/
Old 05-24-2019, 02:01 PM

Amazing what a little oil and very light scotch padding will do.
May just leave the finish alone as the patina is starting to grow on me.
before and after pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0848.JPG   IMG_0850.JPG   IMG_0847.JPG   IMG_0852.JPG  
Old 05-24-2019, 04:10 PM

they are very nice little pistols. Mine is a '93 vintage, but as considerable work done by Wilson. It is one of my favorite carry guns.

We should be thankful to both
Old 05-28-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjinaz85308 View Post
they are very nice little pistols. Mine is a '93 vintage, but as considerable work done by Wilson. It is one of my favorite carry guns.

Okay now I'm pissed, lol. Their sites says they don't work on anything shorter than 4" now (unless it's a Wilson). Was this done before this policy or did you get a special request through? I really want to send them my gun.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:11 PM

Would you post a shot of the other side? Please!
Old 05-28-2019, 04:58 PM

As I stated in our PM this work was done in the late 90's as far as I can tell. This was the predecessor to the Stealth that they still build.

We should be thankful to both