Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 07:24 AM

it can't get much better than this story of self defense

https://www.foxnews.com/us/las-vegas...all-of-my-hits
Old 05-21-2020, 07:55 AM

Just saw that, 10 hits......and Tori Nonaka is the girlfriend. The bad guy is lucky she was not returning fire.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:11 AM

NRA video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVWo9n5eKU
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 08:55 AM

details on this will be interesting... That is some training to be able to apply 10 hits so fast. My question is why did it take 10? What caliber was he using?
Old 05-21-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring1911 View Post
Just saw that, 10 hits......and Tori Nonaka is the girlfriend. The bad guy is lucky she was not returning fire.

I noticed that too. Why didn't she engage and put all her skills to a real world self defense situation?
Old 05-21-2020, 07:14 PM

Like to know the caliber as well, probably not a .45acp or .357sig.....guessing 9mm.

For those who don't know who Tori is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGsd...5PnO&index=115

Old 05-23-2020, 05:41 AM

Impressive shooting under stress!

Got to love those 9mm for stopping power, it only took 10 rounds to the chest ;-).

But fair and balanced assessment, not something I would do especially with a love one in tow, reading Social Media and e-mails in the middle of the night in a parking lot...Parking lots are not a good place to hang out in especially at 2AM in the middle of the night. Get in the car and move on.

Ton's of Kudos for his shooting, Negative-Kudos for putting himself and Girl friend at risk (unnecessarily).

Anyway, he is set for life as a proverbial Shooting-Guru in the genre.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 05-23-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:00 AM

The local coroner has ruled the death of the perpetrator as definitely COVID-19.
(Wait, I got more.)
Apparently the virus is spread with bullets.

Last edited by IGWright; 05-23-2020 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Even funnier.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:41 AM

Nice. I’m going to guess he continued to shoot because thats how he trains. He’s getting off 3-4 rounds in the time most would get off one. Shoot until there’s no more movement.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:14 AM

I just saw his video about this. The robbers really picked the wrong victim this time.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGWright View Post
Apparently the virus is spread with bullets.
Due to close spacing.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:00 PM

The high round count was obviously because it was not a Bang-Then-Check-Pulse situation.

In a fight you would not know IF you had made a hit, or WHERE you had hit, if at all.

So it's wise to apply all you have. And this dude can do that very quickly. So I think that was done correctly.

And Tori likely did not know, as no one could, if the two figures in the distance, in the dark, were for sure an imminent deadly threat yet. She just knew they were sketchy as heck.

But if I drew on every sketchy creep I saw I'd be in jail by now. No, I'm not going to second-guess, after the fact, the actions, or inactions, of these very qualified people.

But there was a related mention I saw about some kind of prior confrontation at a gun shop? Then I couldn't find it again.

So I'm not sure if that's was real or not. However, some back story / history does make sense.

Because otherwise, you have this: Two dudes trying to murder, rather than simply rob or carjack, two random strangers?

That's possible, of course. But it's pretty odd, even for gang druggie-junkies. Usually crime is just a path to scoring more dope.

Assassinating folks from far away is usually not part of that. I think there may be a component that we don't know about.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post

But there was a related mention I saw about some kind of prior confrontation at a gun shop? Then I couldn't find it again.

So I'm not sure if that's was real or not. However, some back story / history does make sense.

Because otherwise, you have this: Two dudes trying to murder, rather than simply rob or carjack, two random strangers?

That's possible, of course. But it's pretty odd, even for gang druggie-junkies. Usually crime is just a path to scoring more dope.

Assassinating folks from far away is usually not part of that. I think there may be a component that we don't know about.

Information on the prior LGS confrontation here:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...fense-2020768/

My wife and I were attacked by three men last year in May 2019. I defended against them and prevailed. I remember the ringleader had a smile on his face as they attacked us. The statement that the deceased shooter had a smile on his face reminds me of what happened to my wife and I. The look on the ringleader's face was like getting ready to feast. Didn't turn out that way for our three attackers. Clear case of self-defense for me. I remember just after my mouth was so parched and dry. Was hypervigilant for a month after, second-guessing, bad dreams. This is what the defender has to look forward too but it will pass. It was essential for me to have two friends one who was in military combat and the other my brother in law enforcement police officer who stopped a bank robbery to talk to. People who have not experienced this sort of thing have trouble relating to the after-effects.

Last edited by Obi-Wan; 05-23-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Nice. I’m going to guess he continued to shoot because thats how he trains. He’s getting off 3-4 rounds in the time most would get off one. Shoot until there’s no more movement.
The perp coulda been dead on his feet after the first shot. Our hero probably just unloaded on him in a second or two. We’d have to see the coroners report to find out which bullet actually ‘stopped’ him. And even then we wouldn’t know what round that was.
Anyway job well done
COTEP#782
Old 05-23-2020, 01:01 PM

Obi-Won, it sounds like your personal story could be very interesting. If it would not cause you problems, either legally or psychologically , could you tell more?
Old 05-23-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedodger View Post
Obi-Won, it sounds like your personal story could be very interesting. If it would not cause you problems, either legally or psychologically , could you tell more?

Maybe on a separate thread. I don't want to hijack the OP. One thing I will say is that during the attack I do not remember my initial successful counter attack, which was caught on surveillance video and reviewed by police, like it was instinctive response. The other thing is that time slowed down for me. It was like I had plenty of time to make decisions although police and my wife said it was over in a matter of seconds. Yet for me it seemed like minutes.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
That is some training to be able to apply 10 hits so fast.
Splits of 0.44. That's not particularly impressive.

Finding the front sight and staying on it in a real gunfight is impressive.

I suspect he could shoot faster if he wanted to, but he was shooting as fast as he could evaluate the situation. If that's the case, it's a very impressive performance.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post
Finding the front sight and staying on it in a real gunfight is impressive.

I think what was going through the defender's head was making sure as possible for each shot that the rounds we're landing on target. Not that he was in anyway looking to see if he got a hit, just that he was focusing on the shot. I doubt if he was thinking too much about what the attacker was doing, just that he shot well.

Last edited by Obi-Wan; 05-23-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:29 PM

He shot so fast the perp didn't have time to fall down.

Fewer than 300 Navy Seals served in Vietnam. I've met all fifty thousand of them.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Ton's of Kudos for his shooting, Negative-Kudos for putting himself and Girl friend at risk (unnecessarily).

It's for certain the defender will be second guessing being someplace and time where this could happen. He will be thinking about this for a very long time. The thing is one thinks that you go somewhere and it's safe to do so. But it's not and you think about it for a long time.

Last edited by Obi-Wan; 05-23-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:21 PM

If he was in the driver's seat and she was in the front passenger seat, then he was shooting right in front of her face all the time. One wrong move from her and she could have been right in the line of fire. Not a criticism, just an observation. I assume that her window was down also, otherwise the sound and concussion would have been terrific. Just a dangerous situation for both of them not only from the bgs but also from his firing. Even more impressive that he succeed in terminating the danger without any injury to himself or his gf.

Neko
Old 05-23-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC shooter View Post
Due to close spacing.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:36 PM

Obi-Wan --------- Could you please post what happened at the gun shop prior to this shooting?

My computer is choking on your link to the story. Thx
Old 05-23-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Obi-Wan --------- Could you please post what happened at the gun shop prior to this shooting?

My computer is choking on your link to the story. Thx

This is copied from the linked article and discusses LGS prior activity. Note that it also says defender exited vehicle and was shooting from trash can concealment and/or cover (i.e. cover protects you, concealment does not).

Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson said Monday that the fatal shooting of a man last month by the head of a Las Vegas motorsports company was “a clear case of self-defense.”

BJ Baldwin, president of Baldwin Motorsports in Las Vegas and the son of a gaming executive, was having a fast-food dinner with a woman in a shopping complex parking lot at 9640 W. Tropicana Ave., near Fort Apache Road, early on April 22 when two men approached. An altercation broke out “and gunfire was exchanged,” Metropolitan Police Department Lt. Ray Spencer said previously.
Baldwin shot Joseph Smith, 43, during the exchange.

A Las Vegas police report indicates Smith was accompanied by his brother, Kevin Smith, 40. Kevin Smith told police his brother was upset that morning because of a failed attempt to buy firearms from a gun store in the complex.
Prior to the shooting, Kevin Smith said, his brother threw rocks at the gun store’s front window. The siblings left the shopping complex on Tropicana, then later returned on foot, police wrote in the report.

“Kevin had a feeling Joseph was going to do something stupid, but denied knowing what,” the report said.

Kevin Smith said the siblings saw Baldwin and his acquaintance in the parking lot upon their return.

“(Kevin) Smith said Joseph walked up to them, pulled his gun out, pointed it at the female and smiled as he began shooting at the male,” the report said. “Kevin stated Joseph was the first to fire his weapon.”

Kevin Smith told police they did not know the couple.

“Kevin told detectives the white male shot in self-defense and should not be charged,” police said.

Baldwin told police he feared for his life as Joseph Smith approached.

“As Joseph Smith got closer, he turned his firearm toward Baldwin,” the report said. “When Joseph Smith turned his pistol toward Baldwin, Baldwin drew his 9 mm semiautomatic pistol from a holster on his waist and stepped north, taking cover behind a trash can.”

Police said Joseph Smith fired seven times at Baldwin, and Baldwin fired 11 times at Smith. Baldwin said he didn’t know who shot first. Baldwin also said he did not shoot at Kevin Smith, who was unharmed.

Baldwin, who has a concealed weapon permit, then took off with the woman. The woman, while crying, attempted to call 911 and said “we were just in a” and hung up, police said. The pair then drove to the house of Baldwin’s father, Bobby Baldwin, chairman and CEO of Drew Las Vegas, a Strip resort set to open in 2022.

There they contacted an attorney, who called 911.

Police said Joseph Smith’s girlfriend showed up at the scene and found her boyfriend dead. The woman reportedly placed his firearm in her vehicle but later pointed police to it. There was no indication in the police report that she was arrested or charged.

Kevin Smith was eventually arrested on a warrant. Las Vegas Justice Court records show he is charged with conspiracy to commit robbery, attempted robbery and assault with a deadly weapon.

Last edited by Obi-Wan; 05-23-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan View Post
It's for certain the defender will be second guessing being someplace and time where this could happen. He will be thinking about this for a very long time. The thing is one thinks that you go somewhere and it's safe to do so. But it's not and you think about it for a long time.
Yes very likely...

I am not trying to be "picky" of the Gentleman, but I would guess any SD instructor worth their salt would have the same comment.

I din't have to take any SD classes to learn this, I was "lucky" enough to grow up in a really crap-hole neighborhood. But it could happen in any neighborhood really as I am sure everyone knows.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper