Flat Wire Recoil Question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2020, 06:30 PM
Plaidad Plaidad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,023
Flat Wire Recoil Question

Does anyone know where I can find an 18 lb. flat wire spring for a Commander? Everything I see is 22 lbs. Per Wolff, 18 lbs. is the standard spring for a .45 Commander, and that's what I have been using. I could probably go a little lighter, since I have a flat bottom firing pin stop plate. I thought I would give the flat wire a try, since they're supposed to last longer. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-20-2020, 11:26 PM
x39 x39 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
Does anyone know where I can find an 18 lb. flat wire spring for a Commander? Everything I see is 22 lbs. Per Wolff, 18 lbs. is the standard spring for a .45 Commander, and that's what I have been using. I could probably go a little lighter, since I have a flat bottom firing pin stop plate. I thought I would give the flat wire a try, since they're supposed to last longer. Thanks

The spring weights are not literally equal when comparing music wire (round, like Wolff’s) and flat wire (like ISMI). You can find ISMI springs at EGW, but I suspect you already have. You can also find a full complement of ISMI springs at Deep River Customs.

However, I would suggest buying an 18#, 20# and 22# and testing all three. I have a commander that runs really well on a 22# recoil spring with a 23# Wolff mainspring.

X


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2020, 06:47 AM
Rwehavinfunyet Rwehavinfunyet is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,019
1911 and springs.....

Any 1911, regardless of caliber, has to have the proper springs set up for the power of the load they most often use/shoot...… The reason is there are many types of ammo with lighter or heavier bullet weights with different powder charges that will affect the optimal "slide velocity" when the gun is fired. A standard GI 1911 .45acp, was designed to use a 16lb. recoil spring with a 23lb. hammer spring for shooting 230gr. FMJ (hardball ammo).

Having the proper recoil and main spring (hammer spring) for the power of the load will help with proper sight tracking, and allow faster recovery when shooting controlled pairs.

With any 1911, the way the gun locks up in the slide, the amount of friction on the rails and slide, and the shape of the firing pin stop plate all make a difference on the springs used for optimal reliability and sight tracking.

When I shot NRA Bullseye with my Clark accurized mil-spec style 1911 .45, I used a very light load that still produced optimal accuracy and functioning. I used the same gun for the "service match" event, and the match gave the competitors 230 grain FMJ (hardball) ammo. I used a slightly heavier mainspring (25 lbs.) than the standard 23 lb. mainspring, and a 16lb. recoil spring, and my gun shot very well with the hard ball loads...…

When using the lighter .45acp loads for the 2700 match, I used a 14lb. recoil spring and a 19lb. main spring....

Every 1911 gun may need a different combination of the recoil spring and the mainspring based on the power of the load, and how the gun was built..... testing is essential to determine what may be the best combination for the power of the load used.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 05-21-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-21-2020, 07:38 AM
Hopknockious Hopknockious is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by x39 View Post
The spring weights are not literally equal when comparing music wire (round, like Wolff’s) and flat wire (like ISMI). You can find ISMI springs at EGW, but I suspect you already have. You can also find a full complement of ISMI springs at Deep River Customs.

However, I would suggest buying an 18#, 20# and 22# and testing all three. I have a commander that runs really well on a 22# recoil spring with a 23# Wolff mainspring.

X


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is very sound advice.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2020, 08:48 AM
Magnumite Magnumite is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Belcamp, Maryland, USA
Posts: 8,086
^^^ I have one pistol from its birth will choke (short strokes) eventually on a 16 pound or heavier recoil spring using 830 fps 230 grain ball ammo. Ammo brand matters not.
Give it a 15 pounder and issues go away and it is highly reliable and accurate.
__________________
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If it’s not a Kimber, it’s a copy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2020, 09:21 AM
x39 x39 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
^^^ I have one pistol from its birth will choke (short strokes) eventually on a 16 pound or heavier recoil spring using 830 fps 230 grain ball ammo. Ammo brand matters not.
Give it a 15 pounder and issues go away and it is highly reliable and accurate.

For a commander or government?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2020, 09:33 AM
Plaidad Plaidad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by x39 View Post
The spring weights are not literally equal when comparing music wire (round, like Wolff’s) and flat wire (like ISMI). You can find ISMI springs at EGW, but I suspect you already have. You can also find a full complement of ISMI springs at Deep River Customs.

However, I would suggest buying an 18#, 20# and 22# and testing all three. I have a commander that runs really well on a 22# recoil spring with a 23# Wolff mainspring.

X


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
X39 -
I appreciate the advise, but I still haven't been able to find an 18# flat wire to try.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-2020, 10:07 AM
x39 x39 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
X39 -
I appreciate the advise, but I still haven't been able to find an 18# flat wire to try.

deeprivercustoms.com


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2020, 11:51 AM
Magnumite Magnumite is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Belcamp, Maryland, USA
Posts: 8,086
Government length pistol. It is 100% with a 15 pound spring. I have learned more since then so I'll look at the extractor one of these days.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, it was a base over rim short stroke malfunction so it isn't he extractor. I'll check and, if needed, try a new mag spring in that puppy.
__________________
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If it’s not a Kimber, it’s a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 05-21-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2020, 01:08 PM
Plaidad Plaidad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,023
x39 - Thanks! I have a couple inbound.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-21-2020, 02:07 PM
x39 x39 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Flat Wire Recoil Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
x39 - Thanks! I have a couple inbound.

You’re very welcome. Hugh at Deep River is awesome. Looking forward to your report of the spring test!

Something else I thought of... each time I tried flat wire springs with standard, short spring guides it was an utter failure. They’ve always worked best for me with full length quarter-inch guide rods.

X


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-21-2020, 03:35 PM
Pedro 1 Pedro 1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Age: 63
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by x39 View Post
deeprivercustoms.com


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had given up on finding a 20 lb. flat wire recoil spring for my Colt Officer's ACP, but Deep River Customs has it.
Thanks for that link, x39!
Pedro.
__________________
NRA
GOA
NAGR
VCDL
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Plaidad Plaidad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by x39 View Post
You’re very welcome. Hugh at Deep River is awesome. Looking forward to your report of the spring test!

Something else I thought of... each time I tried flat wire springs with standard, short spring guides it was an utter failure. They’ve always worked best for me with full length quarter-inch guide rods.

X


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boy, I hope not - I ordered a couple of Wilson commander length rods. I'll keep you posted.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-22-2020, 02:52 PM
x39 x39 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
Boy, I hope not - I ordered a couple of Wilson commander length rods. I'll keep you posted.

Point noted. A relatively inexpensive solution if yours doesn’t do well would be an EGW .250-inch commander FLGR and plug with .257-inch hole for $30.

Carbon plug link...
https://www.egwguns.com/1-pc-ss-comm...ue-spring-plug

SS plug link...
https://www.egwguns.com/1-pc-ss-comm...ss-spring-plug

This is what I’ve got in mine and it’s a great system.

X


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:59 PM
Plaidad Plaidad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,023
Thanks - I'll keep those in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-05-2020, 12:15 PM
x39 x39 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
Boy, I hope not - I ordered a couple of Wilson commander length rods. I'll keep you posted.

Hey, Plaidad, how’d it go? You get a chance to test things?

X


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved