Flat Wire Recoil Question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 06:30 PM

Flat Wire Recoil Question

Does anyone know where I can find an 18 lb. flat wire spring for a Commander? Everything I see is 22 lbs. Per Wolff, 18 lbs. is the standard spring for a .45 Commander, and that's what I have been using. I could probably go a little lighter, since I have a flat bottom firing pin stop plate. I thought I would give the flat wire a try, since they're supposed to last longer. Thanks
Old 05-20-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
Does anyone know where I can find an 18 lb. flat wire spring for a Commander? Everything I see is 22 lbs. Per Wolff, 18 lbs. is the standard spring for a .45 Commander, and that's what I have been using. I could probably go a little lighter, since I have a flat bottom firing pin stop plate. I thought I would give the flat wire a try, since they're supposed to last longer. Thanks

The spring weights are not literally equal when comparing music wire (round, like Wolff’s) and flat wire (like ISMI). You can find ISMI springs at EGW, but I suspect you already have. You can also find a full complement of ISMI springs at Deep River Customs.

However, I would suggest buying an 18#, 20# and 22# and testing all three. I have a commander that runs really well on a 22# recoil spring with a 23# Wolff mainspring.

X

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 06:47 AM

1911 and springs.....

Any 1911, regardless of caliber, has to have the proper springs set up for the power of the load they most often use/shoot...… The reason is there are many types of ammo with lighter or heavier bullet weights with different powder charges that will affect the optimal "slide velocity" when the gun is fired. A standard GI 1911 .45acp, was designed to use a 16lb. recoil spring with a 23lb. hammer spring for shooting 230gr. FMJ (hardball ammo).

Having the proper recoil and main spring (hammer spring) for the power of the load will help with proper sight tracking, and allow faster recovery when shooting controlled pairs.

With any 1911, the way the gun locks up in the slide, the amount of friction on the rails and slide, and the shape of the firing pin stop plate all make a difference on the springs used for optimal reliability and sight tracking.

When I shot NRA Bullseye with my Clark accurized mil-spec style 1911 .45, I used a very light load that still produced optimal accuracy and functioning. I used the same gun for the "service match" event, and the match gave the competitors 230 grain FMJ (hardball) ammo. I used a slightly heavier mainspring (25 lbs.) than the standard 23 lb. mainspring, and a 16lb. recoil spring, and my gun shot very well with the hard ball loads...…

When using the lighter .45acp loads for the 2700 match, I used a 14lb. recoil spring and a 19lb. main spring....

Every 1911 gun may need a different combination of the recoil spring and the mainspring based on the power of the load, and how the gun was built..... testing is essential to determine what may be the best combination for the power of the load used.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 05-21-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x39 View Post
The spring weights are not literally equal when comparing music wire (round, like Wolff’s) and flat wire (like ISMI). You can find ISMI springs at EGW, but I suspect you already have. You can also find a full complement of ISMI springs at Deep River Customs.

However, I would suggest buying an 18#, 20# and 22# and testing all three. I have a commander that runs really well on a 22# recoil spring with a 23# Wolff mainspring.

X

This is very sound advice.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:48 AM

^^^ I have one pistol from its birth will choke (short strokes) eventually on a 16 pound or heavier recoil spring using 830 fps 230 grain ball ammo. Ammo brand matters not.
Give it a 15 pounder and issues go away and it is highly reliable and accurate.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If it’s not a Kimber, it’s a copy.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
^^^ I have one pistol from its birth will choke (short strokes) eventually on a 16 pound or heavier recoil spring using 830 fps 230 grain ball ammo. Ammo brand matters not.
Give it a 15 pounder and issues go away and it is highly reliable and accurate.

For a commander or government?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:

X

X39 -
I appreciate the advise, but I still haven't been able to find an 18# flat wire to try.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
X39 -
I appreciate the advise, but I still haven't been able to find an 18# flat wire to try.

deeprivercustoms.com

Old 05-21-2020, 11:51 AM

Government length pistol. It is 100% with a 15 pound spring. I have learned more since then so I'll look at the extractor one of these days.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, it was a base over rim short stroke malfunction so it isn't he extractor. I'll check and, if needed, try a new mag spring in that puppy.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If it’s not a Kimber, it’s a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 05-21-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:08 PM

x39 - Thanks! I have a couple inbound.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:07 PM

Flat Wire Recoil Question

Quote:
x39 - Thanks! I have a couple inbound.

You’re very welcome. Hugh at Deep River is awesome. Looking forward to your report of the spring test!

Something else I thought of... each time I tried flat wire springs with standard, short spring guides it was an utter failure. They’ve always worked best for me with full length quarter-inch guide rods.

X

Old 05-21-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
deeprivercustoms.com

I had given up on finding a 20 lb. flat wire recoil spring for my Colt Officer's ACP, but Deep River Customs has it.
Thanks for that link, x39!
Pedro.
VCDL
Old 05-22-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
You’re very welcome. Hugh at Deep River is awesome. Looking forward to your report of the spring test!

Something else I thought of... each time I tried flat wire springs with standard, short spring guides it was an utter failure. They’ve always worked best for me with full length quarter-inch guide rods.

X

Boy, I hope not - I ordered a couple of Wilson commander length rods. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Boy, I hope not - I ordered a couple of Wilson commander length rods. I'll keep you posted.

Point noted. A relatively inexpensive solution if yours doesn’t do well would be an EGW .250-inch commander FLGR and plug with .257-inch hole for $30.

Carbon plug link...
https://www.egwguns.com/1-pc-ss-comm...ue-spring-plug

SS plug link...
https://www.egwguns.com/1-pc-ss-comm...ss-spring-plug

This is what I’ve got in mine and it’s a great system.

X

Old 05-22-2020, 06:59 PM

Thanks - I'll keep those in mind.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Hey, Plaidad, how’d it go? You get a chance to test things?

X