I screwed up reassembling my PM-9 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-16-2020, 06:55 PM

I screwed up reassembling my PM-9

So here I was playing around with my PM-9. Putting on a Dawson magwell and some new VZ grips and I decided to take it apart a little further. Next thing I know I launch my plunger tube spring and detents across my garage into the abyss. After hours, I can't find them. So here I am with my PM-9 in pieces and no way to put it back together again. DW is closed down and everywhere is out of stock of stainless plunger tube parts. Sometimes I just need to leave things alone!
Old 05-16-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ1911 View Post
So here I was playing around with my PM-9. Putting on a Dawson magwell and some new VZ grips and I decided to take it apart a little further. Next thing I know I launch my plunger tube spring and detents across my garage into the abyss. After hours, I can't find them. So here I am with my PM-9 in pieces and no way to put it back together again. DW is closed down and everywhere is out of stock of stainless plunger tube parts. Sometimes I just need to leave things alone!

Best to have spare various pins and bits for just such an occasion

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/ssea...ssembly&page=2

Wilson Combat ones are stainless and they have the spring too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2020, 07:10 PM

I have seen some people put a bend in the middle of the spring to keep that from happening. Honestly, I should try that. My PM-45 really launches the detents across the basement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Along View Post
I have seen some people put a bend in the middle of the spring to keep that from happening. Honestly, I should try that. My PM-45 really launches the detents across the basement.

Yes, I also put a little kink in it, though depending on how you do it can make the spring feel a bit stronger, which might make the safety a bit harder to move...

Old 05-16-2020, 08:54 PM

While more than you need at present, this kit gives you all the pins.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...%7cMake_3=1911
Old 05-17-2020, 04:22 PM

If you are married, just mention to your wife that you can't find it, and would appreciate some help if she has time. She will either laugh at you, or go through hell and high water to find it, to show you how much better she is. Mine would make it her lifes mission to have one up on me.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:31 PM

We all fall into two groups:

Group 1: been through the same thing....arrgggghhh

Group 2: will someday soon experience such....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloader View Post
While more than you need at present, this kit gives you all the pins.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...%7cMake_3=1911
That will be mighty handy. I think I'll be getting these and putting in the gun safe. I'll need to get full & officer, blue & stainless.

Thanks for that post.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ1911 View Post
It happens.

https://youtu.be/gSlQ--gSCt8?t=665
Old 05-21-2020, 09:11 PM

Crisis averted. I ordered the parts after I had made this thread. I ordered from Midway as well as MGW. The order from MGW arrived today and the pistol is back together. The parts from Midway still haven't even shipped. Don't think I will use Midway again. Now I have extra parts as well as more somewhere in my garage haha!
Old 05-21-2020, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Along View Post
That kink was actually included in the original 1911 design drawings. Unfortunately like so many aspects of its design a lot of manufacturers no longer follow the original protocols. That's also why grip screw bushings are no longer staked in with some brands and the ejector is sometimes glued in rather than pinned. And then when these parts inevitably come loose people complain about how problematic the 1911 design is. If companies would build these guns more like they did 100 years ago a lot of these problems wouldn't even happen.

BTW don't take this as a rant against DW quality. This was against modern 1911 manufacturers in general, because nearly all of them are guilty... even Colt nowadays.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:28 AM

Get a cat! Mine seems to always find that missing part. Funny as all get out too.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:24 AM

DSK You are totally correct; anything to save a few pennies. SA glues their ejectors in on their RO pistols (and maybe other models) and then spends the money pin them, under warranty, when they come loose; who thought that was a good idea? And don't get me started on the plunger tube springs with no kinks in them or the Series 70 collet bushing or the plastic mainspring housing.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

EGW have what you need.

https://www.egwguns.com/1911-parts/frame-parts/?p=2

https://www.egwguns.com/plunger-tube-spring

Last edited by Ricky T; 05-23-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:56 AM

This happened to me as well. I bought 5 sets since they are fairly cheap from EGW. I pretty much have extras of everything. I usually take the thumb safety out with the plunger tube facing my belly. When it shoots out it just hits my shirt and drops on the table in front of me. The one I launched into outer space was found in the laundry room on a different floor. I'm guessing it was on me the whole time and got washed with my clothes!
Old 05-23-2020, 11:39 AM

Wife v Magnet

"If you are married, just mention to your wife that you can't find it, and would appreciate some help if she has time. She will either laugh at you, or go through hell and high water to find it, to show you how much better she is. Mine would make it her lifes mission to have one up on me."

The above is so true AZ1911, my wife has done exactly that.

I have a large speaker magnet that works for finding all sorts of dropped/lost parts, it is my go to before calling on she who must be obeyed.