Anyone else hate cleaning their guns? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-06-2020, 03:49 PM

Anyone else hate cleaning their guns?

Or is it just me? Took my two EB’s out today for a much needed range session. I love shooting, but there are a lot of things I’d rather do than clean up after. Just part of owning fine 1911’s, I guess 😂
Old 05-06-2020, 04:42 PM
1911 Aficionado

What bothers me more than cleaning, is understating of the time requirement to make it seem less onerous.
I'll read, "Oh, it's no big deal, five minutes and you're done!"
Even a minor, field-strip cleaning takes 20 minutes, and a full strip and deep clean is close to an hour.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:08 PM

In the words of my Drill Sgt. - "don't worry - you'll get used to it". Free tip - buy a small air compressor. Every man needs one in their garage anyway....... Just soak the gun down, brush it and blow it. Lube.

Last edited by drail; 05-06-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
In the words of my Drill Sgt. - "don't worry - you'll get used to it". Free tip - buy a small air compressor. Every man needs one in their garage anyway....... Just soak the gun down, brush it and blow it. Lube.
He was right, you know.

Today, I live by "you don't have to like it, you just have to do it".

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:26 PM
Administrator

It takes a long time if you're a clean-freak. If you simply get the worst of the gunk out, wipe it off and swab the bore it isn't so bad. The trick is to not wait until the inside of your pistol looks like a 20 year-old sewer pipe to finally get around to cleaning it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:47 PM

Air compressor trick is a good idea. I already have one in the garage.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:07 PM

Never, never, never do I hate cleaning my guns. A great time to turn on some music and enjoy an adult beverage.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:12 PM

In fact, during this hunker down crap, I have time to clean them more than once and have more than one cold one.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:49 PM

Nope. I like cleaning my guns. I find it therapeutic. I clean my guns after every range session. I expect maximum performance and therefore take the time to clean and inspect after each use. Same as my tools and car. Not so much my condo though. Pretty much performs the same whether I clean the bathroom every week or every few weeks..
Old 05-06-2020, 07:08 PM

Other than getting to clean and inspect the parts after a range trip, you can see the attention to detail that went into the manufacturing of an Ed Brown pistol. From what I've seen with my Ed Browns, they are definitely as nice inside as they are on the outside.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:20 PM

You can see the quality inside and out on an Ed Brown, for sure.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:21 PM

I like to go along the mantra of grab a drink, put on something good whether music or movie, usually Lonesome Dove, and begin. At some point the drinking and Gus and Call grab the attention but that's why it's fun to rotate which guns get cleaned first each time.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:32 PM

It's not something I look forward to, but it's not too bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It takes a long time if you're a clean-freak. If you simply get the worst of the gunk out, wipe it off and swab the bore it isn't so bad.
If I was using a handful of different products to clean (and I felt the need to degrease the gun every time I cleaned it) and lube the gun, or if I detail stripped the gun every time, I'd like it a whole lot less.

Using a quality CLP product for cleaning and lubrication, one that allows me to wipe most of the gunk off with a paper towel, makes it a more pleasurable experience.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodester View Post
In fact, during this hunker down crap, I have time to clean them more than once and have more than one cold one.
This hunker down crap has actually given me a chance to go through my entire gun collection and clean every single one of them. Never before in human history have all my guns been clean and freshly-oiled at the same time.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:07 PM

I use a DIY dunk tank made from a 5-gallon plastic paint bucket with lid. Inside is a smaller bucket with plenty of holes in the sides. 1 gallon low odor mineral spirits & 1 quart of DEXRON ATF. The tank works great for barrels, springs, mag tubes, etc.

Some FP-10, Kroil & a Bore-Snake or two for quick & easy cleanings is real convenient.

Be careful with Duty Treat type finishes like Dan Wesson uses. Breakfree & other CLP products will stain the Duty Treat. FP-10 is the recommended oil.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcindaswamp View Post
Or is it just me? Took my two EBís out today for a much needed range session. I love shooting, but there are a lot of things Iíd rather do than clean up after. Just part of owning fine 1911ís, I guess 😂

I donít mind cleaning my 1911s, but revolvers are another story, especially stainless ones. Itís a pain getting the powder rings off the cylinder!
Old 05-07-2020, 09:04 AM

I enjoy cleaning my higher end 1911s because while doing it reminds me of just how well everything is fitted, the quality parts used and the attention to detail that goes in to the build. The end result, at least for me, keeps my confidence level high and compounds my level of owner satisfaction.

As far as my other guns, I really don't mind because I was taught years ago, to take care of my sh*t.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:17 AM

Most of the time I really enjoy cleaning my guns, I want them clean and confident in how they will perform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2020, 11:45 AM

This works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
We clean our guns once in a while. But we do not get carried away.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:06 PM

I don't like the disassembly because that is physically difficult. I do like to oil them and reassemble them, though.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:16 PM

What holds me back from cleaning is that I am still paranoid of putting "the idiot mark" on the gun. I've tried credit card or business card under the slide stop catch and I still manage to get the mark.

I cleaned my Colt Competition 9mm about a week ago and used a business card and I still got a very feint mark. I would think that after 50+ years I would have figured how to do it. Nope, it's pure dread for me.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl954 View Post
I donít mind cleaning my 1911s, but revolvers are another story, especially stainless ones. Itís a pain getting the powder rings off the cylinder!
I agree. I now just dry brush the cylinder holes with a plastic circular brush and traditionally clean (CLP, swab, brass brush, patches, etc.) the bore. 1911s are easy, as long as I can get the slide stop in and out without issues. I clean after every range session, no matter how tired, hungry, or whatever I am.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:14 PM

I don't enjoy it.

I put on nitrile gloves, and usually do it on my deck so the fumes don't stink up a room.

I don't try to get every bit of carbon off, as the next shot it will be there again.

Some people like it, that's great. I used to like it as well. But imagine taking 8 or 10 guns our for a range session when you have family visitors. After your nephews and brothers have shot your guns, you have a bag full of guns to clean. Might as well clean them all at once.

Try cleaning three or four revolvers, three or four 1911's, a Hi Power, a Ruger Mk III, and a few long guns. That will break most people of the fondness of cleaning a gun.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:56 PM

PEF, yep, that would break my fondness in hurry!
Old 05-07-2020, 04:11 PM

Pistols no matter the type not so much. Ten to twenty mins and I’m fine.
But I do dread cleaning AR type rifles as it seems no matter how long you spend on one you’ll still find gunk somewhere.
COTEP#782