AR Pistol Sights? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-05-2020, 06:21 PM

AR Pistol Sights?

I am getting a 10.5 AR pistol without sights. The use is for home defense mainly and plinking. Any recommendation on sights that work well in low light conditions? I am thinking mainly the front sight for getting on target. For example, I prefer just a front night sight on my 1911. I am not target shooting so all I need is a decent first round hit. Any guidance on a small rail mounted light would be appreciated as well.

Thanx
Old 05-05-2020, 07:26 PM

Honestly I'd forgo the iron sights and get yourself a good quality RDS like the Trijicon MRO or RMR and just ran that on the gun. Reason being you'll be able to keep both eyes focused on the threat and properly identify if they're armed or not. Then superimpose that dot on the threat and do what you gotta do.

For lights I'm a Surefire guy so I'll always recommend checking out their Scout lights or X series lights. However, the Cloud Defensive OWL is a very impressive light and highly recommend checking it out as well.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye fan View Post
Honestly I'd forgo the iron sights and get yourself a good quality RDS like the Trijicon MRO or RMR and just ran that on the gun. Reason being you'll be able to keep both eyes focused on the threat and properly identify if they're armed or not. Then superimpose that dot on the threat and do what you gotta do.

For lights I'm a Surefire guy so I'll always recommend checking out their Scout lights or X series lights. However, the Cloud Defensive OWL is a very impressive light and highly recommend checking it out as well.
This is by far the best way to do it and the OWL is insane and I love mine. Not good if you have an IR setup though, you should use a SFSL as recommended above if you need to save rail space for other stuff.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2020, 06:32 PM

Thanx for the replies. Is the Aimpoint Pro in the same league as the Trijicon? I definitely not opposed to not having iron sights. I will check out the light.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod View Post
Thanx for the replies. Is the Aimpoint Pro in the same league as the Trijicon? I definitely not opposed to not having iron sights. I will check out the light.
It is a good optic. I'm not a fan of it's size but that's my only dislike of it.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye fan View Post
Quote:
It is a good optic. I'm not a fan of it's size but that's my only dislike of it.
This, just a little heavy but I own three of them so I can't say anything negative
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 05-06-2020, 10:02 PM

Check out Olight's weapon lights. A good variety of sizes and prices are pretty reasonable compared to several others.

Last edited by BHP; 05-06-2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:14 PM

I have an Aimpoint Micro on mine, big fan of Aimpoint.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 05-09-2020, 09:01 PM

I went with a red dot sight on mine. Works even in low light conditions too. I looked for a open sight setup for a AR pistol, but I never came across any. But it seems that most people are using the arm/writs hold stocks on them and using them like a carbine. So maybe just using regular AR sights would work Ok then. But I sort of cringe when I see people putting them up to their shoulder like a rifle or carbine, I suspect that BATF one of these days is going to stomp on everyone about the stocks. So I just use the buffer tube with a foam pad on it.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:59 AM

I have a Trijicon RX reflex sight with the triangle reticle on my PK47 pistol. No batteries required and the triangle reticle self adjust with the light like the big brother ACOGS do. It's just 1X and much smaller than the ACOGS. The amber triangle makes for a simpler sighting system at AR/AK/Tactical pistol ranges.

I figure if I manage to mangle or trash the RX then my gun is probably trashed too.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 05-10-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
-snip- But I sort of cringe when I see people putting them up to their shoulder like a rifle or carbine, I suspect that BATF one of these days is going to stomp on everyone about the stocks. So I just use the buffer tube with a foam pad on it.
I can see that happening. I guess at that point I would SBR the pistol.

I am still looking at all the options and I want to pay off my credit card balance before moving ahead.

I was wondering if any of you people are right handed and left eye dominate. If so, how is the red dot working for you with both eyes open?
Old 05-10-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:

I am still looking at all the options and I want to pay off my credit card balance before moving ahead.

I was wondering if any of you people are right handed and left eye dominate. If so, how is the red dot working for you with both eyes open?
Perfectly fine, much easier than iron sights
Old 05-10-2020, 06:06 PM

Thanks Striker2237. Something I have been dwelling hard on.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
No problem. I quit doing the squint eye thing a very long time ago. I don't seem to have any problem even though I have a bad astigmatism in my right eye.

I think it's less about having shoulder contact and a lot more about people not blatantly talking about it on social media and making loophole claims etc. It's kind of like if things are working for you, don't publicly flaunt it and piss off the people who said it was okay in the first place.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 05-11-2020, 09:53 AM

I have a 7.5 Saint pistol with a laser on the front.
Because threads really suck without pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0434.JPG   IMG_0424.JPG  
Old 05-11-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray burge View Post
I have a 7.5 Saint pistol with a laser on the front.
Because threads really suck without pictures:
Very nice! I was dealing with a guy for a never fired Saint Edge 10.5 pistol before this COVID came up. That did not work out unfortunately.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:26 AM

Regular iron sights work fine on an AR pistol even without "shouldering the buffer tube/brace. Just hold out close enough to get a check weld on the buffer tube. I like using a 2 point sling and pushing out with the pistol. I have one 9mm pistol setup like the Colt 9mm SMG that is iron sights only.

For my other AR pistols, they have a RDS and BUIS on them just like my carbines do. I like having back up sights just in case.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Just imagine if and when the ATF says they have had enough of the pistol braces and everyone then decides to SBR their pistol. You will be waiting 6 years instead of six months!
Old 05-12-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Both eyes open!! Same as a RDS on a handgun.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:15 AM

I like BUIS sights on any size AR. Magpul flip-up sights are super light and super cheap on Amazon. If you use a red-dot optic, then you can fold down the rear sight, keep the front sight up, and if the optic dot goes away for some reason, you can sight through the optic body using the front sight. You'll always have sights.

As far as red-dot optics go, I like the Aimpoint T2 the best. Yes, it's expensive, but they are worth it. My experience with the Aimpoint Pro is that the dot wasn't bright enough in very bright sunlight to see. I also like the MROs or even the new SROs or RMRs for a small AR/pistol. However, the T2 dot lasts literally for years on one battery. And the T2s are indestructible. They cost the most for a reason.

I have lights on all my ARs. Surefire Mini-Scouts are the best, IMHO. You can set it up with a railed touchpad on the offside of the gun, like most of mine have, or just use the push-cap on the rear of the light. Unless you're going to train with it enough to ingrain the railed touchpad into your muscle memory, I'd skip the extra expense of the touchpad and just use the push-cap. The stick-on pad that comes with the light is also an option, but I've found that the soft pad spreads out and weakens over time and level of use ultimately resulting in the pad not working unless you fumble around to find the sweet spot and then have to squeeze the crap out of it to get it to light up.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:02 AM

Look at the vortex Sparc AR sight. I have a couple of Aimpoints and several Vortex Sparc's. I see no difference except price. I put the Sparcs through hell with positive results.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
Look at the vortex Sparc AR sight. I have a couple of Aimpoints and several Vortex Sparc's. I see no difference except price. I put the Sparcs through hell with positive results.
Those are good but drop them and you will see the difference, subject them to massive recoil, and also try to get the zero perfect at 200 yards. I have several for my more casual guns but they are not in the same league as aimpoint
Old 05-12-2020, 06:14 PM

Today I ordered a Aimpoint Micro H-2 AR ready. I am going to put some sights on eventually. Still looking at the light situation and then a one point sling. I really should have just took up knitting .
Old 05-12-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Today I ordered a Aimpoint Micro H-2 AR ready. I am going to put some sights on eventually. Still looking at the light situation and then a one point sling. I really should have just took up knitting .
Outstanding choice! Put a fresh battery in, turn it on to the setting that works for you, sight it in, and forget about it, for the next 2 years. It is indestructible, completely reliable, and an outstanding, reliable, clear, toughest of all, AR optic.

If the gun is a quick reaction, home defense gun, then I'd skip the sling. I love slings and have them on every AR I own, except my home defense gun. Try picking it up at night, racking the bolt, thumbing off the thumb safety if selected, with a sling on the gun. The sling will get in the way in a ship-hitting-the-fan situation. Bugging out? Yes, you absolutely need a sling. Home defense? My vote is "no sling."

I'd put a light on it. A Surefire Mini-Scout (500 lumens) is the best of the best. Stick it offside so that you don't accidentally activate it, but so you can easily reach it in the heat of battle.

Last edited by bradsvette; 05-12-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
Outstanding choice! Put a fresh battery in, turn it on to the setting that works for you, sight it in, and forget about it, for the next 2 years. It is indestructible, completely reliable, and an outstanding, reliable, clear, toughest of all, AR optic.

If the gun is a quick reaction, home defense gun, then I'd skip the sling. I love slings and have them on every AR I own, except my home defense gun. Try picking it up at night, racking the bolt, thumbing off the thumb safety if selected, with a sling on the gun. The sling will get in the way in a ship-hitting-the-fan situation. Bugging out? Yes, you absolutely need a sling. Home defense? My vote is "no sling."

I'd put a light on it. A Surefire Mini-Scout (500 lumens) is the best of the best. Stick it offside so that you don't accidentally activate it, but so you can easily reach it in the heat of battle.
Love how well mini scouts work for the space and weight, I use those or OWLs