I may be getting a vintage Winchester high Wall. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-30-2020, 02:17 PM

I may be getting a vintage Winchester high Wall.

Trying to figure if I can letter it or not. Does Winchester do this anymore? I also seem to remember hearing that the Cody firearms museum in Wyoming will do it. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 04-30-2020, 02:33 PM

Found this on google.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/...earms-records/
Old 04-30-2020, 04:01 PM

That might be a place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG78 View Post
Thanks for the come back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 05:12 PM

Now for the important questions: Caliber? Condition? Tang sight? Number of buffalo kills?

Those are lovely rifles!!
Old 04-30-2020, 07:33 PM

And pictures
Old 04-30-2020, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Good to hear the Cody Firearms Museum still has records. I highly doubt the current trademark holders of the Winchester name has any copies, let alone a desire to help out owners of real Winchesters.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:11 PM

Will post pictures after I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
Now for the important questions: Caliber? Condition? Tang sight? Number of buffalo kills?

Those are lovely rifles!!
If I get it. Three buffalo kills. Or at least three small notches in the underside of the barrel, not the stock. 40-70 SS, no tang sight yet.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:22 PM

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Good to hear the Cody Firearms Museum still has records. I highly doubt the current trademark holders of the Winchester name has any copies, let alone a desire to help out owners of real Winchesters.
But I figured that asking around would not hurt. Even Cody from what I can get from their web site. They can not give me much more than the serial number assignment date for this particular gun. They have no info on original, as shipped configuration. Nothing on who it went to. It is a pretty early gun which jives with what I see in George Madis's book.

We will see if I get it or not. It is going to be a week or so before I have the scratch to get it anyway. I like to pay cash up front for guns and they are not giving this one away. But the price I think is reasonable. And I am a bit surprised that it has not sold already. I am not going to sweat it either way.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:57 PM

Some records still exist, some do not, all boils down to that. Keep us posted. Looks like you'll be needing some supplies to make yourself some ammo.
L.

P.S. I'll gladly see what I can find in both Campbell books, just ask.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:08 PM

L.E. do they have any production dates in those books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
Some records still exist, some do not, all boils down to that. Keep us posted. Looks like you'll be needing some supplies to make yourself some ammo.
L.

P.S. I'll gladly see what I can find in both Campbell books, just ask.
Disregard L.E., I found what I was looking for, rifle was made in 1887. The third year of production

Last edited by USMM guy; 05-01-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: I found the date that I was looking for.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:09 PM

If I recall correctly, that 40/70 Sharps cartridge is not too common of a chambering, I'll take a look later this evening and see what I can find.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:09 PM

OOO ... I just want to see it. Love 19th century Winchesters. Good for you!
Old 05-01-2020, 07:54 PM

The Winchester Single Shot is my favorite rifle. So historically important, in numerous ways. Unfortunately, so many came to a sad end during a time when they were considered obsolete and of little value. Couple that with low production numbers, and any survivor should be truly appreciated.
L.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:32 PM

You have that right!

Quote:
The Winchester Single Shot is my favorite rifle. So historically important, in numerous ways. Unfortunately, so many came to a sad end during a time when they were considered obsolete and of little value. Couple that with low production numbers, and any survivor should be truly appreciated.
L.
I have seen way to many of them that ended up as poaching rifles chambered in .38 Special. As well as Carp fishing rifles chambered in .32 Colt long.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I have seen way to many of them that ended up as poaching rifles chambered in .38 Special. As well as Carp fishing rifles chambered in .32 Colt long.
Not as many as were butchered up for wildcat custom varmint rifles in the 50's & 60's.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Not as many as were butchered up for wildcat custom varmint rifles in the 50's & 60's.
Butchered???? Oh, come now, those guys were just making those rifles "their own"!!!!

Boy, do I dislike that phrase!!! It typically does end up translating one way or another into 'butchered'.

Last edited by havanajim; 05-01-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:41 AM

Butcher; verb - to cut apart, or into pieces...

And I understand. It's just with hindsight and the passage of time that some of these acts seem ill-advised, while others are (at least for now) inconsequential.

Last edited by L.E.; 05-02-2020 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:11 AM

Some of the stuff that you see.

It is hard not to gag over. Saw what had once been a really fine Drilling at a gun show not too long ago. Some rocket scientist had chopped out a section of the rib, that likely had a nice leaf site or something similar. And they glued on an Eotech with some kind of epoxy or something.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:20 AM

My favorites are always the nice old piece that some numbskull has engraved their social security onto. You know, as if it didn't already have a unique number of it's own.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Butcher; verb - to cut apart, or into pieces...

And I understand. It's just with hindsight and the passage of time that some of these acts seem ill-advised, while others are (at least for now) inconsequential.
Sometimes it's very difficult to make sarcasm come across effectively in a short post. I was referring to my dislike for the phrase: 'make it your own'!!!

My point was that the 'make it your own' silliness, as so many people are wont to do, has destroyed countless fine firearms. I'll never forget the idiot who took one of the original 15k, Colt-assembled Thompsons, and turned it into a modern-day, 'tactical' fright-show with welded-on rails, Cerakote, and all!!! I also once came across an M15 General Officers pistol upon whom some 'enlightened' individual took it upon themselves to mill the slide for some absurd looking, glow-in-the-dark sights, tactical sights. Oh!, the horror!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2020, 02:57 PM

Should have read more carefully, the fault was mine. I think we're on the same page here, it's only 'original' once.
I had to think long and hard before I had the barrel lined in my beater low wall.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:16 PM

Han Solo had a 'real' modified broom handled Mauser can't be to many of them around!?

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 05-16-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Trying to figure if I can letter it or not. Does Winchester do this anymore? I also seem to remember hearing that the Cody firearms museum in Wyoming will do it. Anyone know anything about this?
Here you go...Winchester High Wall

Copy the UPC number and paste into the search bar at Buds or anyone else that sells to see if they have it in stock.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:09 PM

I have two of those already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPS1911A1 View Post
Here you go...Winchester High Wall

Copy the UPC number and paste into the search bar at Buds or anyone else that sells to see if they have it in stock.
I was looking at an original 1887 produced model. Unfortunately that is not going to happen for a couple of reasons. But thank you for posting.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I was looking at an original 1887 produced model. Unfortunately that is not going to happen for a couple of reasons. But thank you for posting.
A vintage high wall is going to cost you.

I found a website that shows the original calibers the high wall came.

After looking at the original calibers I'd say buy a current production rifle. Its likely all of the vintage rifles are black powder. Buffalo Bore that makes smokeless black powder equivalent ammo for those vintage rifles but it'll cost you.

The current production high wall comes in standard calibers and one magnum and the ammo is easier to find and less expensive.