Red or Green Fiber Rod - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-12-2020, 08:37 AM

Red or Green Fiber Rod

Which do you prefer for indoor/outdoor range shooting during the daytime? If it matters, it will be on a 4.25" barrel gun.

Thx
Old 03-12-2020, 08:46 AM

I like green & apparently it's the same reason safety vests are this color:
"The green color was created by analyzing the way the rods and cones in our eyes are stimulated by different wavelengths of light. The company found that the human eye is most sensitive to light at a wavelength of 555 nanometers—a bright green."
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...le-color-world
Same goes for green lasers
Old 03-12-2020, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

I started with red and over time have gone to green on my most used pistols & revolvers. IMO, green is slightly quicker to pick up.

NRA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz 45 View Post
"The green color was created by analyzing the way the rods and cones in our eyes are stimulated by different wavelengths of light. The company found that the human eye is most sensitive to light at a wavelength of 555 nanometers—a bright green."
Interesting
Old 03-12-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz 45 View Post
For most people, this is probably the way to go, whenever there's a choice. The opthalmology science behind green is fairly solid.

There are doubtless some other people who prefer going in the other direction (red), so personal preference also needs to be considered. In a heavily forested or jungle environment (which would need to be considered for many hunting or military applications), I think a case could be made in favor of red optics.

You (OP) might want to try both until you develop a clear preference.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-12-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
For most people, this is probably the way to go, whenever there's a choice. The opthalmology science behind green is fairly solid.

There are doubtless some other people who prefer going in the other direction (red), so personal preference also needs to be considered. In a heavily forested or jungle environment (which would need to be considered for many hunting or military applications), I think a case could be made in favor of red optics.

You (OP) might want to try both until you develop a clear preference.
My gun came with green. I've just ordered red so I can compare. I've put a bit over 2,000 rounds in about two months worth of time before the rod came out. This is my first FO front sight so I have no context as to how many rounds you should expect to get out of a rod using a 9mm gun before you need a new rod.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:37 AM

I like green in back and red out front.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
Just the opposite for me.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:03 PM

Try both. easy to change. I personally prefer red in front, plain black rear.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:08 PM

I bought a Marlin lever gun a few years ago.

It is set up with a rear site that makes a red fiber optic horseshoe around a green fiber optic front bead. It is an excellent set up.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:44 PM

To me it all depends on what color the target is.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:23 PM

I prefer green but it is very much a personal preference and particularly if you have any type of color blind issues. YMMV.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:28 PM

For work, we have EOTech sights on the rifle. I want to train one way and to always look for the same thing, so I've opted for red on all of my personal guns so that whether I'm at work or on personal time, my brain knows it's always looking for red.

I've never tried green. It might be better, but I won't know.
My 1911 resume: somewhat modified Kimber Stainless Target II, STI Marauder
Old 03-12-2020, 10:07 PM

I prefer green. It works against more varied backgrounds and doesn't fade as quickly as lighting dims.

Having said that, I have gone back to white/yellow dot tritium fronts on my guns as they work better in a wider variety of scenarios than fiber optic. I only have one gun with a fiber optic front now.

Last edited by Bradd D; 03-12-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:43 AM

Fiber optic front sights and color choice.....

I have made Fiber Optic front sights by starting with an oversized dovetailed front sight blank. I then shape the front sight so that it is the proper width to allow a Fiber Optic light rod. It is oversized in height, so I will fit the sight to the dovetail to make a snug fit, then test fire the gun at the range using my preferred load for that gun. I like and use adjustable rear Bo-Mar style sights from Kensight, and will place the elevation of the rear sight about midway, so I have plenty of up and down adjustment if ever needed when changing bullet weights and bullet styles.

With the rear sight in the mid-elevation position, I then determine the POA vs. POI, and using a small portable machinist vise, I will place the slide in the vise and file the top of the sight lower until I have a shot group that is well centered to the proper POA vs. POI. I will then take the gun home, and will then take a small Dremel carbide ball cutting point, and make a shallow dimple in the correct position on the sight, so the top of the light rod will sit very close to the top of the sight. I then remove metal from the middle of the sight so the light rod can gather light, then use the proper drill bit to drill holes for the light rod to pass through the front and back of the sight. I will then carefully melt the ends of the light rod that are protruding through the sight, to make the appropriate size dot that will hold the light rod securely. My color choice for a light rod is green, but some people prefer orange/red. It just depends on the shooter......I like and use .060" diameter fiber optic rod diameters...…

If a person wants to order a F/O front sight, it is best to measure the height of the existing sight, then order a F/O sight of the same height, with the same style dovetail if a person has a dovetail front sight. Some mfg's make tenon style F/O front sights, but once the tenon is properly staked, a pin has to be used on the sight base to prevent movement, or the tenon in the slide has to be a rectangular fit in a rectangular cut in the slide..... I like and prefer a dovetail front sight cut on a slide.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 03-14-2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:01 AM

Ive got both but seem to pick up the green a bit better.

Since we’re on the subject of sight color.

Why Arent RMRs more popular with green dots? The only one I found is a Trijicons, but its a 9 MOA.

Last edited by Plantar5; 03-14-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:32 PM

I'm trying green currently but I'm not sure I like FO at all due to the variability in different lighting. But it seems to be all the rage as a lot of my recent ones have had them. Another thing that bothers me is they look really bright when they are out but not so much installed. I got some two color (red/green) that look fantastic out but when you melt them down they loose that good look. All in all I might just be a white/tritium guy in the end.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
I'm trying green currently but I'm not sure I like FO at all due to the variability in different lighting. But it seems to be all the rage as a lot of my recent ones have had them. Another thing that bothers me is they look really bright when they are out but not so much installed. I got some two color (red/green) that look fantastic out but when you melt them down they loose that good look. All in all I might just be a white/tritium guy in the end.
What brand sight are you trying? And with what rear sight? Not all are created equal. One of the details that make the Dawson precision (that I favor) so good for me is that they back bore the hole that faces the shooter. This results in the tip you view thru your sights to always be shaded, if you will, and is always a bright crisp dot. In almost any light it is apreciably brighter and clearer than a white dot, and except in very dark conditions brighter than tritium as well. Paired with a plane black rear it is a very quick and accurate sight picture to acquire.

The variability of light is actually a good thing if you think about it. When its real bright outside the brighter the better for the dot, when its a subdued light a little less brightness is good. They are in a sense, self adjusting. I have used them in competition from dawn till dusk, and even in caves (with lights), and have never found the brightness (or lack of it) to be an issue.

Last edited by M-Peltier; 03-14-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
What brand sight are you trying? And with what rear sight?
I'm using Dawson and Tru-Glow on my SF Q5 and a few of my STI's, all have black rears. I switched sights on some of my STI's so I would have more choices of fiber as most of the STi's except Staccato have .040 fibers but if you go to .060 there are more choices.
It took me a while to get them to melt well, I'm not sure if it was brand, but keeping them from crystallizing or getting black specks on them is a trick.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:19 PM

It depends on your own eyes! I suffered a detached retina some years back which damaged my ability to see yellow. I see the red front quite well, but not green.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:22 PM

I've only got FO sights for the front for several handguns. They are all green, however...

Bayou52
Old 03-17-2020, 05:32 PM

Our eyes are sensitive to white light, which is actually a mix of prism or rainbow colors. Green is right in the middle of those seven fundamental band widths:
red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. That is why the eye tends to pick it up so readily.

Red dots were originally used in optics simply because the laser and led technology could more readily produce efficient red dots. That carried over in FO sights. I prefer irons with black sights and blades because that is what I used so much. But I will never debate the speed one can shoot using FO or optics with a dot/circle, chevron, etc.. I have experienced that and I still try them from time to time.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If it’s not a Kimber, it’s a copy.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
that’s how my Kimber came from factory