Colt needs to buy the rights to the Hudson H9. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-08-2020, 07:48 AM

Colt needs to buy the rights to the Hudson H9.

I've been thinking this for a while now and just wanted to put it out there. I don't know if it's been discussed before but now, with all this bailout money that's going to be flowing around I think it's a no brainer.

We all know Colt can't design a semi auto to save their lives so why wouldn't you go with the closest thing to the design your known for that's already been proven to be popular and functional?

And plus if they would bring on the original owner it would amplify the goodwill reactions from the public and take away attention from the New Python debacle.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:59 AM

Would make a lot more sense of Taurus were to do it. Taurus could afford it and the gun would be made a lot better than if Colt were making it.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:39 AM

Why???

The H9 has been a flop. We had 2 of em in the case and they sat for a year and a half. We couldn't get a buyer even at cost.

Colt already has trouble filling orders on existing product.

Why should they then struggle to build a plastic pistol that no one will buy???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 09:31 AM

Who said Colt can't design a semi-auto to save its life?!!!

They've done well with John Browning's help and have been selling automatics for years as long as their management is awake and paying attention.

How is the new Python such a debacle?

And who in the world wants yet another crummy black plastic pistol in sniveling 9mm?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:06 AM

The OP has a post count of three, the third of which couples an allegation that Colt, one of the most renown firearm manufactures in the world, cannot design a semi-auto pistol, with a recommendation that said company purchase the rights to manufacture the sole offering of now bankrupt enterprise.

Sometimes one can be so far outside the box that he can't see even see the box.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:41 AM

I'm dumb. I meant striker fired lol. But yeah they can't design a striker fired gun to save their lives. Plenty of people want 9mm pistols and if I had to guess I'd say the ones that sat in the case were either due to people waiting for the aluminum frame or not wanting to risk buying after the company went bankrupt. That's the only reason I didn't buy one and I'd like to have one with a pony.

I forgot this was the grumpy old men 1911 forum. That's why I only have 3 posts.

Taurus would be good too. I forgot about them. Thanks for the only decent response.

Last edited by PKYINK; 04-08-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Colt should hopefully be smart enough not to take on yet another failed handgun design. They already got burned badly on the All-American 2000, and at this point the market for polymer service pistols is so saturated that they would have to knock it out of the park for any new gun they make to succeed. The H9 was a neat gun for people who are interested in novel firearms designs, but there simply aren't enough Ian Mccollums out there to justify such a weapon.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:45 AM

I agree with DSK. I think Colt is better off as a large, but niche, manufacturer.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:38 PM

I just wish ol' Colt was larger and more of a presence in the market for what they do, or could do best which is building classic 1911-guns and V-spring revolvers.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:22 PM

I am kind of a Colt fanboy, so I'm not knocking Colt, and don't consider myself an expert, but I can't think of any successful semi-auto pistol that Colt itself designed. Yeah, they've been making 1911's forever, by Colt didn't design them. I love my Mustang, but that wasn't originally a Colt design either. Maybe the Pony (which pinched my finger, but otherwise seemed solid)? I'm happy to be proven wrong. They seem better with design improvements, than with original designs.

Having said all of that, the H9 is kind of neat, but seems like a terrible investment.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKYINK View Post
I forgot this was the grumpy old men 1911 forum. That's why I only have 3 posts.

Did you really expect us all to jump up and down and exclaim "what an awesome idea that is", or to scream "now why didn't I think of that!!!???"

C'mon now.....is that REALLY what you thought would happen???
Old 04-08-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Why???

The H9 has been a flop. We had 2 of em in the case and they sat for a year and a half. We couldn't get a buyer even at cost.

Colt already has trouble filling orders on existing product.

More likely, a gun that no one wants.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Did you really expect us all to jump up and down and exclaim "what an awesome idea that is", or to scream "now why didn't I think of that!!!???"

C'mon now.....is that REALLY what you thought would happen???
Old men forum? Maybe he needs to take his toys and have his diaper changed before he leaves? And he chooses a lousy pistol that no one wants as his grand idea for an established gun maker like Colt to lower their standards and buy, to what end? To add to their bankruptcy justifications?
Old 04-08-2020, 03:10 PM

My two cents....

First off, we all are entitled to our opinions. We do not have to agree with other's opinions, but we should understand they have a right to express them.

The H9,, when it was introduced, got pretty good reviews for a new gun from a new manufacturer. It was a semi-radical design with a decent price tag. Problem was, it was introduced into a flooded 9mm market at a time when overall gun sales were on the decline. Next, before they had hardly got the original H9 to the shelves, they told everyone they had a new and improved model that was lighter and cheaper coming out. Lotta folks interested in the H9 held out waiting for the new version. I know I woulda. I wonder how many folks woulda held off buying a new King Cobra if they had known before hand, that Colt was really bringing out the Python? Good design, just poor business planning at a time when the market was thin. Only took two years to go bankrupt.
Had they come out right now, with the huge demand for firearms again, things may have been different. After this rush, I see no one really being interested in the gun, other than maybe taking the design and modifying it for their own, and putting a new name on it.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:14 PM
Administrator

The Hudson H9 was a cool design, but for $1100 retail it did nothing that guns half its price couldn't get done. As a competition pistol in categories where compensators weren't allowed it had merit, but aside from that it was a gun in search of a market. It was also quite heavy, weighing as much as a 5" 1911 did. Definitely not the sort of design a struggling company like Colt could run with and sell a boatload of.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
And who in the world wants yet another crummy black plastic pistol in sniveling 9mm?
The H9 is metal.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:33 PM

But is it forged steel?
Old 04-08-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
But is it forged steel?
Yes.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/hu...ol-gun-review/
Old 04-08-2020, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Like buck460XVR said Hudson's fatal mistake was announcing a lighter alloy-framed version at the 2018 SHOT Show, then not releasing it. Everybody decided to hold out for the alloy version instead which caused sales of the existing steel guns to flatline. Had it not been for that the pistol probably would've survived on the market with a small but dedicated following. But it was too expensive for what it was otherwise.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:53 PM

The H9 had a niche as a reasonably affordable double stack SAO with a 1911 like trigger and flat slide in a world where the STI was about the only other real choice (if you wanted a straight pull back 1911 style trigger and a proper safety).

Now there's lots of options, STI Staccato C2, the upcoming DWX, Wilson EDC X9 and Sig Legion SAOs to a lesser degree.

I just don't see it being worth the effort at this point. Sure, you could come in a. It cheaper than the competition, but it's a pretty small subset of shooters who are even interested in that feature set.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:29 PM

I don't know if Colt should do it, but some company should pick up this interesting pistol. It got good reviews, and the glitches could have been worked out if the company hadn't gone bankrupt for reasons having nothing to do with the design of the pistol.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:30 PM

If some other manufacturer is going to 'take-over' someone else's FLOP...
it better dang-well-be... the BREN TEN!!!
'99 Colt CCO, Colt Officer's ACP Enhncd, Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Springfield LWT Compact Night.45, Kimber Super Carry Pro, Kimber Ultra .40, Kimber Combat Carry .40, Kimber Pro Carry 9mm/.38super, Beretta 92C, M&P PC ported .40 CORE, M&P 2.0 Compact .40, S&W 4040PD, S&W 296 44spl, S&W 65-5 3", S&W 625-6 & 629-2 Mtn Guns.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Who said Colt can't design a semi-auto to save its life?!!!

They've done well with John Browning's help and have been selling automatics for years as long as their management is awake and paying attention.

How is the new Python such a debacle?

Colt can't design a semi auto to save their life. John Browning was the brains behind most of the pistols Colt ever sold well, and Colt never could come up with a workable pistol idea on their own.

The Python? When you reintroduce your flagship gun, you really should make sure you dot all the i's and cross all the t's. Colt stepped on their dongs with the release of the Python, but they are making it right.

Sometimes soulless black pistols are the guns that are needed, but I would be happy with an all steel full sized American made pistol. I would buy the **** out of a Colt made Hi Power clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEF View Post
The OP has a post count of three, the third of which couples an allegation that Colt, one of the most renown firearm manufactures in the world, cannot design a semi-auto pistol, with a recommendation that said company purchase the rights to manufacture the sole offering of now bankrupt enterprise.

Sometimes one can be so far outside the box that he can't see even see the box.
There is no innovation in firearms anymore, and as said above. Colt can't design one to save their life, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try.

The last great leap forward was when HK dropped the VP70, but most all your guns on the market today owe their being to Browning. No one has ever topped Browning for his tilting barrel, but even most all things incorporated into modern pistol design, is over 100 years old.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 04-08-2020, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
There is no innovation in firearms anymore...
Let's face reality. The overwhelming majority of semi-auto handgun designs copy either the 1911, the P.38, or the Glock to some degree. In fact most polymer pistols these days are simply Glock clones internally. I'll give the Hudson's designers credit for at least trying to think outside the box a little.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Let's face reality. The overwhelming majority of semi-auto handgun designs copy either the 1911, the P.38, or the Glock to some degree. In fact most polymer pistols these days are simply Glock clones internally. I'll give the Hudson's designers credit for at least trying to think outside the box a little.
Agreed.

I'm pretty sure firearms and the metallic cartridge has went about as far as it can.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944