Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-23-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpepper Cattle Co. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafluff View Post
Thank you also sir for confirmation that I don’t think my gun is as it should be. I appreciate you all that have taken the time to actually help answer my questions
Your "question" hasn't really been answered because you were never really asking one. You decided from the get-go that -- while admitting you know nothing about 1911 specs -- you got a "lemon" because you think the slide has more play than you presume it should, and the only replies you're acknowledging are the ones that weakly might support the conclusion you began with.

It's noteworthy that in the two threads you have running on this issue you've received overwhelming responses -- including from the manufacturer, master-level 1911 gunsmiths, and several highly knowledgeable members, as well as your own shooting experience with the firearm -- that all is well with your pistol.

But you insist it isn't.

A more honest approach here is to simply acknowledge that although the pistol's fine by all reasonable measures -- literal and otherwise -- you prefer an exceptionally tight fit for its own sake and should go in search of it...

...rather than ginning up "poor quality" claims for which there's no merit.
Would you be so kind as to point out where the manufacturer responded to my post and who are the master level 1911 gunsmiths?
Old 02-23-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Would you be so kind as to point out where the manufacturer responded to my post and who are the master level 1911 gunsmiths?
You said the manufacturer told you your pistol was within spec and my post referenced that. EvolutionArmory is a master level 1911 gunsmith, and in your gunsmithing section thread he gave you the best reply you've gotten thus far; I re-posted it in this thread .

You don't know what you don't know.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:17 PM

Wait until you discover the barrel bump.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:21 PM

Want nothing but tight? Buy a Baer. You can barely rack the slide.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
And that that's the only contact the slide stop makes with the barrel legs...
Old 02-23-2020, 03:45 PM

I have been following both threads and commented in the first one. I have Jerry Kuhnhausen book. Its the bible. I read a lot of it and cannot find a spec for normal gun slide to frame clearance or play. I did find in the accuracy section .0005 to .001" is the goal for slide to frame fit on a NATIONAL MATCH FRAME AND SLIDE.

I suggest you check out a few other guns. Some are loose, some are REAL loose. A few are tight, as in like yours. A LOT of new 1911 do not even function. They will not go through a magazine with out failure of some kind. Hang around this forum for a while and see the complaints of almost all brands not functioning right out of the box. Failure to feed, failure to extract, failure to eject, slide not locking back on an empty magazine. Chips and debris left in the gun from manufacturing. Sights that are off, Safeties that do not work or stick. Sucky Triggers and battered slides where the release notch is. Some have slides that hang off the back, some don't make it to the back.

Page 45 Average M1911 bushing to slide clearance .006" .001" suggested for service.

Everything about your gun is good.

David
Old 02-23-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_root2000 View Post
battered slides where the release notch is.
Yep, I'd recommend that the OP not look at the slide stop and takedown notches. Just about every Dan Wesson I have owned peened there.

And barrel bump on the same gun.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Yep, I'd recommend that the OP not look at the slide stop and takedown notches. Just about every Dan Wesson I have owned peened there.

And barrel bump on the same gun.

Any idea the round count on that gun prior to the pic being taken ?
Old 02-23-2020, 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=david_root2000;13076034]I have been following both threads and commented in the first one. I have Jerry Kuhnhausen book. Its the bible. I read a lot of it and cannot find a spec for normal gun slide to frame clearance or play. I did find in the accuracy section .0005 to .001" is the goal for slide to frame fit on a NATIONAL MATCH FRAME AND SLIDE

Is this the book you speak of? If so I own it read it study it
Attached Thumbnails
8C3853FC-6021-4C1F-9F35-19ACFFE416B9_1582501253859.jpeg  
Old 02-23-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
Any idea the round count on that gun prior to the pic being taken ?
The pics were taken 6 months ago and the gun had about 7000 rounds on it then. It's at 8200 now.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
The pics were taken 6 months ago and the gun had about 7000 rounds on it then. It's at 8200 now.
Wow.

That's ugly.

Hoping if I have results like this it'll show within the warranty period...providing I'm shooting as much as I hope to.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
Wow.

That's ugly.

Hoping if I have results like this it'll show within the warranty period...providing I'm shooting as much as I hope to.
The ding at the slide stop notch will start almost immediately and get to a certain size then stop. The only Dan Wessons I've had that didn't do it are a couple of Duty Treat guns. My stainless 9mm Valor has it, but not nearly as bad. The gun above is a 45 ACP Valor with a carbon steel slide and a stainless frame. The ding was the typical size until I tried to use a shock buff in the gun. For some reason, that exaggerated the ding. Interestingly, I had a Springfield Pro that did the same thing. None of my Wilsons have done it.

Dan Wesson will tell you it's normal if you ask about it. I've not asked them about the barrel bump as it isn't causing me any issues.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
My biggest concern is the slide to frame fit. In my opinion itís quite sloppy. Iím really looking for numbers from other DW owners to see if this is normal or did I get one that slipped through QC. I really appreciate any insight you other DW owners or 1911 owners in general can give me
You're OCD'ing that gun to death. I've been there. If you can't detect *some* movement between a 1911's slide and frame, someone placed form over function. I don't trust a 1911 that doesn't have a little slop. It has nothing to do with accuracy.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:

My DW have not done this, I did have a Colt that peened somewhat at the slide stop notch. Yours looks worse, does your grip make you ride the slide stop at all?
Old 02-24-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyjune View Post
Quote:

My DW have not done this, I did have a Colt that peened somewhat at the slide stop notch. Yours looks worse, does your grip make you ride the slide stop at all? [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
No riding of the slide stop. Is your gun Duty Treat?
Old 02-24-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
^^^^^^^^THIS

Hysterical. You shouldn't have said that, because he will never be able to sleep again!

You should see my Wilson's!

Last edited by Harrish; 02-24-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:03 AM

Oh, now that I read further, I see you DID go there!

If it is any consolation, I have many thousands of rounds through my DW 9mm pistols, and none of them have that much wear at the slide stop. Barrel bump is not bad at all on my DWs either. I have a few guns that cost 4x as much where it is worse!
Old 02-24-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Is your gun Duty Treat?
I have a DT and had one of the unfinished all stainless, they looked the same, but neither were near the 7k round count. Interesting what you had said about the shock buff. What kind of mags do you run?
Old 02-24-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyjune View Post
Quote:
Is your gun Duty Treat?
I have a DT and had one of the unfinished all stainless, they looked the same, but neither were near the 7k round count. Interesting what you had said about the shock buff. What kind of mags do you run?
I used to use CMC Powermags with Tripp Super 7 kits and now I use Wilson ETM's.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:22 PM

Isn’t there an age restriction on this site?????
Old 02-24-2020, 12:29 PM

I’m dealing with a bunch of children. Actually most children have more intelligence than a lot of the responses here
Old 02-24-2020, 12:35 PM

Feel free to hijack my thread. I completely understand why you haven’t figured out how to start your own
Old 02-24-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Isnít there an age restriction on this site?????
Quote:
Iím dealing with a bunch of children. Actually most children have more intelligence than a lot of the responses here
Sounds like you spend a lot of time with children and a micrometer...

Quote:
Feel free to hijack my thread. I completely understand why you havenít figured out how to start your own
Kidding aside, responses in this thread so far are germane to your original post -- what's the problem? You've gotten direct answers to your main question and the dial tilts heavily toward "all good", but you don't seem to want to acknowledge or accept that answer.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:37 PM

Sounds like you spend a lot of time with children and a micrometer

Really???? 😂
Old 02-24-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Really???? 😂
Note how you ignored the smiley and the "kidding aside"? Much like you're ignoring the overwhelming consensus of replies in both of your threads?