1911Forum banner

10mm SR1911

12K views 41 replies 32 participants last post by  100plusyears 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Another entry!

#8 ·
That is great. I have been looking at 10mm's but don't want to spend a lot of money on my first one. I had been looking at Rock Island but a Ruger would be nice too.

Springfield is also going to introduce a 10mm XDM sometime in 2017 according to their You Tube channel.

#16 ·
This video sold me. I have always liked Gublast's videos and I trust his opinion. He tells it like it is. If he likes a gun he will say so and if he doesn't like a gun he will say so. I didn't know until watching this video that the SR1911 has a bushingless barrel which is something I like. My favorite feature on my Ultra model Kimbers is they both have the bushingless bull barrel.

Going to be a little while before I buy another gun after dropping $1,799 on my Les Baer but a 10mm is next on my list. I have been holding off due to lack of ammo and component supplies available but both seem to be making their way to stores and on line shopping.

#11 ·
The gun Jeff tested had a clean 4.2 lb trigger pull. I just KNOW if I gamble and order one mine is going to be 6 lbs + with a lot of creep. Sure would be nice to find one in stock and handle it first because I'm going to need one of these.

#13 ·
No ambi safety option, no front strap checkering. I can get both on a Sig TacOps for not much more money. Not sure why Ruger continues to cater to right handed shooters only with their 1911s. Obviously their guns sell, but I think they'd sell more if they offered an ambi safety. Hell, make it an option, at least.

#23 ·
I can install the ambi safety myself, but I shouldn't have to spend the extra money to buy a part that should be on the gun already. Their target 1911 in .45 has an ambi safety - it's the only 1911 they offer that does - for the same price as the 10mm version. The Sig TacOps comes with both an ambi safety and front strap checkering for about $100 more than the Ruger 1911.

I own many great Rugers, but I can't get behind their 1911's. Too many better options on the market.

#20 ·
I'm surprised it's selling so cheap.
It's a little over 700 from Bud's. 300 less than my Delta and it has target sights.
I'd order one on the spot if it had a 6" barrel.

#24 ·
Many more righties than lefties... I don't like ambi safeties but put up with them on my RIA. The Sig's that I looked at were closer to $1k so there is a bit of a real world price difference. If you don't like them, don't buy one.

I will say that Ruger makes a nice 1911 and if the street price is around $700; an excellent deal. My RIA 10mm 5" was $600 new and the safety is clunky but its a good shooter. My new 6" RIA long slide 52000 has a nicer safety and is definitely a step up quality wise in fit/finish. It is also over a grand new...

#27 ·
The bull barrel is not due to high pressure. A standard diameter barrel handles 10MM pressures just fine. I strongly suspect the engineers at Ruger specified a bull barrel to add recoiling mass. The slightly heavier bull barrel slows the cycling speed of the slide, desireable in a 10MM 1911 believe me. It is recoil impulse, not pressure, that beats up semi auto pistols. If you can add some mass, and slow the slide, this beats up the gun and shooter's wrist less. Having owned a number of 10MMs, including a Colt Delta and Kimber, I view the bull barrel as very desirable in a 1911 in this caliber. The integrally ramped barrel is a plus too. When Colt started building Delta Elites again, the early information I saw indicated the new Deltas would have a bull barrel. When the new Deltas actually appeared, they had the same unramped bushing type barrel. I don't mind the bushing type barrel so much, but an ramped barrel would have sure been nice. My Delta had so much unsupported brass hanging out over the feed ramp that I sent the gun to BarSto and had a ramped barrel fitted. Glad to see the BoMar type sights too due to the wide range of ammo, from .40S&W level loads to the "real" 10mm, Buffalo Bore,etc. type loads. Anyway, with the Ruger 10MM's features and price point, I suspect they may sell quite a few. Heck, they even have me interested;)

#30 ·
I saw and handled one the other day. I liked it. Great price and it appears to be very well made. I do not like the warning underneath the dustcover.

#31 ·
Just picked one up at Cabelas. Got a coupon for 5% plus 5% veterans discount. I also had 45.00 in Cabelas bucks on my card.
Went to the range Thursday. First 1911 size firearm. Usually carry pocket pistol.
Love the way it handles. Shoots better than my S&W Shield 40.
Only ran a little over 100 rounds so far. Will put at least 150-200 next week.
It's a fun gun to shoot.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

#33 ·
I can install the ambi safety myself, but I shouldn't have to spend the extra money to buy a part that should be on the gun already.
That statement is highly debatable as others have mentioned especially in view of the fact that only around 9% of the general population is left handed.

The 10mm SR1911 I saw tested only provided very pedestrian levels of mechanical accuracy-something like 3 inches at 25 yards. Your results may vary.

Bruce

#34 ·
The 10mm SR1911 I saw tested only provided very pedestrian levels of mechanical accuracy-something like 3 inches at 25 yards. Your results may vary.

Bruce
I believe out of the box it is better than 3" at 25 yards by a competent shooter. Hickok45 tests of the SR1911 10mm were pretty impressive. I suppose if one were to choose to hunt hogs or deer at 50 plus yards some accuracy tuning might be in order but for me, I'll be happy with 3" or less at 25 yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.