1911Forum banner

Got The Old X9 Out To The Range

2K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Grandpas50AE 
#1 ·
After reading many posts about people getting new X9’s this year I decided that mine has been too neglected as it has been almost two years since I shot it. I was shooting and carrying primarily 9mm’s for a couple years until I had surgery on both hands and luckily am back to primarily .45’s. My X9 has become my bedroom gun and is there waiting with a TLR8 on it in case of nighttime emergencies.

My X9 is a low 200’s serial number and has been flawless through 5,400 rounds. My only complaint and it is not about the ambi-safety but how the right side ambi got hung up on my trigger finger when attempting to take it off safety on numerous occasions. This does not happen with any of my 1911’s but apparently my hands and grip on the X9 allow this to happen. Was lucky enough to get get a single sided safety and installed it.

I took it out to the range this week and fired another 300 rounds through it and as always it was flawless. The single sided safety is wonderful and not any issues with taking the gun off safe which really increases my confidence in carrying the gun.

I shot multiple drills on IDPA targets at aprox 13 yards with the targets about 4’ apart. As the X9 does feels a little different than a standard 1911 with the grip and wide trigger it took a few rounds to get reacquainted with it.

These are just great guns. I still feel more comfortable carrying a .45 but I realize that the primary difference between the two is mainly in my head. SD shootings are much more about where you hit and not what you hit with.

In any case it was a good day and I really need to take this gun out to the range more often.

Took a quick photo of the targets after I carried them back to the line.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good job David! And good to see that X9 get some exercise again...I've been a bit remiss lately with mine as well, and as soon as the weather cools down I will be getting mine out and doing some range work with it too.

#5 ·
So, I have an issue that's creeped up with mine.
Really just something to be aware of and I wonder if it has happened to others..( it happens with my Wife's also).

Sometimes when I set it down in holster or out, it will release the magazine.
Doesn't take much for this to happen.
It has become habit to double check it.

#7 ·
I agree with David - check the amount of force it takes to press the mag release; if it is less than what you're used to on the 1911, then the spring sounds like it is possibly weak. If same amount of force, contact Wilson and see if the magazine catch is a little off in engagement. Just my own observation.

#18 ·
I really like the black over gray. Mighty sharp. You have my wheels turning on future guns. :)

That's a problem many of us are having to deal with...:biglaugh::biglaugh:
Yep. It surely is.

I did have some success locally this past Monday. Buffered the .45scp & .223 fodder a small bit.

Attachments

#14 ·
Great job.

I really enjoy the EDC X9. Super design.

My only complaint with mine is that it ate most of the 9mm I had on hand......and small pistol primers are scarce.....
That's a problem many of us are having to deal with...:biglaugh::biglaugh:

#17 ·
Very nice shooting...Glad you hands have both recovered...

Yea, same here, I just feel more comfortable with a 45...Yes, shot placement is critical, but ballistics matter also. In real SD, movement, etc., no guarantee one will get that perfect head-shot, or heart shot, so fatter bullets matter, and fatter bullets with more momentum matter. It is anywhere btwn 1.5X or 2X fatter in 45 depending on what 2 rounds one compares.

At any rate, for me it is a no-brainier with a 10 Round limit. Would be nuts to trade my 10R poly's in 45 for 10 r 9mm...Would be nutz to trade my 8r 1911's for 10R 9mm...I do love my one 9mm though, a PPQ Q5 match. Lot of fun to shoot.

I have to get out again, soon as the miserable heat/humidity subsides. Running daily dew points in the 70's.

#26 ·
I sent back 650 rounds of 230 gr AE to Federal due to some rounds not being seated properly. After a month or so I emailed Federal to find out where my replacement ammo was. Federal replied they didn't have any and would send the replacement ammo when it was available. Pretty sad when Federal doesn't have any ammunition.

#27 ·
#28 ·
Took the X9 back out today and shot another 200 rounds running drills on three IDPA targets. 90 degrees and ridiculous humidity. My ammo got condensation on it when I took it out of my shooting bag, but that got burned off pretty quick. Glad I had an AT’d gun and not one of my blued guns due to the weather. A quick rain storm had just passed through and I had the range to myself.

So 500 rounds in the last week and a total of 5,600 since I got it. My opinion still is that it is a fantastic gun for what it was designed for. I still prefer the feel of a standard 1911 and also in .45.

Would never have an issue carrying it and would not feel undergunned at all and I’ve carried it quite a bit in the last week.

For those that want the 15 round capacity it could be your answer. I’m satisfied with 9 .45’s in the gun and an extra 8 round magazine in a pouch on my side. No matter what I carry I always carry a spare magazine or two.

#29 ·
I know what you mean about the heat; 100 yesterday afternoon on my back porch with high humidity, and expected to be the same for the next several days.

I would have no problems carrying my X9 in certain conditions either (and younger brother does carry his 100% of the time), but like you I prefer the .45 with at least one extra magazine on my opposing hip. Our 90 degree (or less) days will probably not return until the end of September. [sad face]

#30 ·
Regarding your mag release issue, I carry my X9 in the Lo Profile Elite holster made by Palmetto and sold by WC. I am having the same issue with my mag release. It appears to press against the sweat guard on the holster and releases. I’m thinking about ordering the MS 55BN for it.

#31 ·
It is doubtful (although not impossible) the LP Elite from Palmetto is causing the issue. Read posts 6, 7, and 8 for possible diagnosis. If it releases to easily, I would call Wilson and talk to them about it. JMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.