1911Forum banner

Question about hammer strut & pin.

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jonbondave 
#1 ·
So, I ordered a Harrison ignition set for my EMP. I've pulled apart several 1911's in the past. But my question is, how well does SA stake their hammer pins? And I'll accept any useful tips for un-staking them also, thanks guys. OH, and if it proves to be too bothersome to get undone, are there different size hammer struts for officer vs goverment frames?

#4 ·
Officer's sized guns use a standard 1911 strut.
I would assume the EMP is not altered in the grip safety area (just uses a shorter trigger bow), and uses a standard strut.

When using the Springfield (and Ed Brown?) style of hammer strut, 'listen' and watch for contact with the grip safety, and/or rubbing on the middle leaf of the sear spring. I have run into this when changing/tuning ignition parts and other related components.

#7 ·
well I gave it a go today.but I mushroomed the hammer strut pin when I was putting it on the new hammer.... In otherwords I couldn't get it quite flush =(. I could get it enough that it all fit back together, but I wouldn't trust it in that condition... So I'll order a new hammer strut/pin and drop it off at the gunsmith up the road. the thumb safety needs some adjusting as well, it's very difficult to put in the on position. but the trigger feels more crisp, that's the upside I suppose! Might as well get a solid trigger fitted as well since it's going in anyhow. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.