Concealed carry pistol - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-31-2019, 05:12 PM

Concealed carry pistol

I carry a full size 1911 on a daily basis. I have received a lot of negative comments about my choice of weapon to carry. How many here also carry a full size 1911? I tell others carry what you want and it should not matter to you what I carry. Comments?
Old 07-31-2019, 05:26 PM

It’s your business, tell them so.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:52 PM

Opinions are like.....

I carried a full size 1911 for years until I switched method of carry and went to a 4Ē 1911.

The three best shooters in the group of degenerates I hang out with are all very good: several hundreds of hours of training with some of the best in the country. 1 is ex military, one is a 25 year LEO with a lot of SWAT experience and the other is a civilian IDPA shooter.

One carries a Glock, one carries a 1911 and the other carries a Beretta. The one constant is they all give each other crap about their gun choice

Use what you can shoot quickly and accurately and train, train and train some more.

I personally donít ďrotateĒ carry guns as that seems counterproductive to me, but that is, also, just an opinion of some random guy on the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 07:23 PM

Yes, that's a terrible choice. You should carry a tiny polymer 9mm. I might be willing to take that old 1911 off your hands for cheap.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:33 PM

I say baloney! As long as you feel comfortable and safe with it, don't worry about the dingbats. I haven't carried a full size one only because of my build which means I can't effectively conceal it. However, I do from time to time carry my Colt Defender 45 and my Kimber Ultra Carry 45. Most of the time, though, I carry a Kimber Solo in 9mm.

There are idiots and there are really stupid idiots. Let them carry their feeble chunks of plastic!

Last edited by hub1home; 07-31-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-31-2019, 08:50 PM

The realities of age and back pain moved me from a 5" 1911 to a Commander sized pistol. What other people think of my carry pistol doesn't matter to me one bit.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:02 PM

Govít length CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyvalleyman View Post
I carry a full size 1911 on a daily basis. I have received a lot of negative comments about my choice of weapon to carry. How many here also carry a full size 1911? I tell others carry what you want and it should not matter to you what I carry. Comments?
*Most* days itís a commander-sized. That particular pistol has all the features I wanted for a CCW and I had next-to-no concern over length. So there are government-length 1911s in the CCW stable.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:18 PM

No one knows that I'm armed much less what I'm armed with.

I've found this approach reduces other's input drastically.

It's almost like if I gave a damn what someone else thought I'd have to ask them. But I don't, so I won't.

But, since you asked?
A Commander most days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190728_194331_1564629294050.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	561170Click image for larger version

Name:	20190729_202137_1564629349614.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	561172
Old 07-31-2019, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The next time someone belittles your choice of a 1911 ask them what they have on them at that given moment. Chances are they aren't even armed.

I can carry a full-sized 1911 for short periods but my back will no longer permit all-day carry. The last time I did so I couldn't wait to get home and take the thing off. But if I were still 30 years old I would do so and not give it a second thought.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:45 PM

People who are truly informed about firearms can critique any ccw choice.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:45 PM

Ribbing your buddies is part of male camaraderie. I always give my friends crap about their guns, cars, bikes etc.

Me: "I see you managed to get that heap running today. Did ya get jump-started AAA?"

Buddy: "And I see that your pile hasn't been towed by the City yet, have you been hiding it under a tarp?"

Never mind that both cars are flawless.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:02 PM

The 5" 1911 is a fine choice.
Tell no one.
Let it be a surprise.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:17 PM

Primary carry

I carried a Commander for almost twenty years. Great gun, always felt a little big but was able to carry without problems. Used a fanny pack at times. I switched to a 3 inch SW 1911 Pro Series several years ago. It is the perfect size for me for carry, shoots well. I do miss the larger size pistol at times. My alternate carry is a snubby. They are sure handy for a carry gun but I shoot a lot more accurately with the 1911.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:50 AM

I got 99 problems...but caring about what other people think of me and my carry choice ain't one of them.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:32 AM

A full size 1911 (especially in 45) has a 100+ year track record of performance as a fantastic combat pistol and great carry choice. Anyone telling you otherwise is full of crap.

(That said, there are also other good choices, but a 1911 is up their among the best, especially if you have a tuned trigger and the other modern option's like good sight's, etc. etc., on the gun).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 08-01-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:15 AM

Guys that carry like to tell each other what they carry.
Next time you're asked tell them, when they tell you about their Tupperware gun, bust out laughing and don't say anything else.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:14 AM

I read a quote some time ago and cannot remember exactly what it said but it went something like this:

When looking for a pistol to carry every day no gun can be small enough. When you need a carry pistol no gun can be large enough.

Life is a trade off. I carry commander sized pistols or larger almost always, as I have a large frame. I also unfortunately have needed a pistol to solve some life changing events. I put up with some discomfort at times to have a pistol that I want to be able to fight with, on me, and not in a safe somewhere.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:25 AM

Cynical response number 1: Asking 1911 enthusiasts who belong to the 1911 Forum if it's okay to carry a 1911 is like the NRA sending questionnaires to NRA members asking whether they support the 2nd amendment and resent the gun-grabbers. But if it gives you a warm and fuzzy, then yes it's okay to carry a 1911.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:26 AM

Plastic is for leftovers. I carry a government model 1911 from the time I get dressed until it goes on the nightstand when I go to bed.

YOUR CALIBER SUCKS TOO!!!

9mm Luger:

European popgun round that’s only popular because the ammo is cheap for a centerfire cartridge. Cheap ammo is a good thing for 9mm aficionados, because anything bigger and more dangerous than a cranky raccoon will likely require multiple well-placed hits. Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.

.45ACP:

Chunky low-pressure cartridge that hogs magazine space and requires a low-capacity design (if the gun needs to fit human hands) or a grip with the circumference of a two-liter soda bottle (if the gun needs to hold more than seven rounds). Disturbingly prone to bullet setback, expensive to reload, fits only into big and clunky guns, and a recoil that has an inversely proportionate relationship with muzzle energy.

.40S&W:

Neutered compromise version of a compromise cartridge. Even more setback-happy than the .45ACP, and setbacks are much more dangerous because of higher pressure and smaller case volume. Manages to sacrifice both the capacity of the 9mm and the bullet diameter of the .45. Twice the recoil of the 9mm for 10% more muzzle energy.

.357SIG:

Highly overpriced boutique round that does the .40S&W one worse: it manages to share the capacity penalty of the .40 while retaining the small bullet diameter of the 9mm. Noisy, sharp recoil, and 100% cost penalty for ballistics that can be matched by a good 9mm +P+ load. Penetrates like the dickens, which means that the Air Marshals just had to adopt it…only to load their guns with frangible bullets to make sure they don’t penetrate like the dickens.

.38 Special:

Legacy design with a case length that’s 75% longer than necessary for the mediocre ballistics of the round due to its black powder heritage. On the plus side, the case length makes it easy to handle when reloading the gun. This is a good thing because anyone using their .38 in self-defense against a 250-pound attacker hopped up on crack will need to empty the gun multiple times.

.32ACP:

Inadequate for anything more thick-skinned than Northeastern squirrels or inbred Austrian archdukes. Semi-rimmed cartridge that is rimlock-happy in modern lightweight autoloaders. Doesn’t go fast enough to expand a hollow point bullet, and it wouldn’t matter even if it did, because the bullet would only expand from tiny to small-ish.

.44 Magnum:

Overpowered round that generates manageable recoil and muzzle blast…if you’re a 300-pound linebacker with wrists like steel girders. Often loaded to "Lite" levels that turn it into a noisy .44 Special while retaining the ego-preserving Magnum head stamp. Considered the "most powerful handgun cartridge in the world" by people whose gun knowledge is either stuck in 1960, or who get their expertise in ballistics from Dirty Harry movies.

.50 Desert Eagle:

The Magnum of the new century. Realizing Hollywood couldn’t escape their Magnum fetishes, they had a handgun that fits the same stopping power quota of .44 Magnum and all of its filthy drawbacks. Popular amongst steroid filled movie actors who needs big guns to compensate for the steroid struck testicles. Comes in a baby variant for junior.

10mm Auto:

Super-high pressure cartridge that beats up gun and shooter alike. Very brisk recoil in anything other than all-steel S&W boat anchors, with a shot recovery that’s measured in geological epochs for most handgun platforms. Often under loaded to wimpy levels (see ".40 S&W"), which then gives it 9mm ballistics while requiring .45ACP magazine real estate.

.380ACP/9mm Kurz:

Designed by people who thought the 9mm Luger was a bit too brisk and snappy, which is pretty much all that needs to be said here. Great round if you expect to only ever be attacked by people less than seven inches thick from front to back.

.357 Magnum:

Lots of recoil, muzzle blast, and noise to drive a 9mm bullet to reckless speeds in an attempt to make up for its low mass and diameter. Explosive fragmentation and insufficient penetration with light bullets; excessive penetration and insufficient expansion with heavy ones. Still makes only 9mm holes in the target.

US Army, Retired
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 08-01-2019, 01:05 PM

Just ask them.

What they want to have in their hands when facing down a bad guy.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:09 PM

Caliber wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Plastic is for leftovers. I carry a government model 1911 from the time I get dressed until it goes on the nightstand when I go to bed.

Really enjoyed reading that ... it only missed one caliber Iíve used for carry: .22WMR; but Iíll endeavor not to conclude .22WMR to be the caliber of perfection.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Whoís busting your chops about what you carry? Iíve been caring for 25 years and never had a negative comment on my choice of carry.

To each his own, I wouldnít even respond to their comments. Itís no ones business to know what youíre carrying.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post

Can this be made a sticky? On the entire internet?

The 1911 requires more end-user intervention than any other pistol in modern service in terms of setup, maintenance, and selection of magazines/replacement parts. It requires a more educated shooter to keep the gun happy and running
Tim Lau
Old 08-08-2019, 03:42 PM

I've made the Small Gun choice. It works for me.

That said, of course I could shoot a full size 1911 far better than my tiny pocket gun.

So would I carry a full size, steel frame 1911? Yes. If I KNEW I'd be in a shootout that day, AND for some reason, still left my house.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:56 PM

I'm getting older and I started to notice the weight of my 1911 Govt so I bought a couple good Milt Sparks holsters, started watching my food intake alittle and lost a few pounds ... have not noticed the old full size colt since ....

I'm prob in trouble come Christmas cookie season though ...