1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 07:33 PM

Which AR Scope?

I narrowed down to two scopes for my 16" 300blk

If I get the Burris combo I can perhaps take the FF3 over to the 300blk SBR I am working on.

But, for 16" 300blk which item would you choose, and why? Note that they have different features.

https://www.natchezss.com/burris-mta...sandstorm.html
https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/mtac-riflescopes

or

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-a...r-300-aac.html
https://www.bushnell.com/products/ri...escope-1-4x24/

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 05-12-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 PM

A 1-4 is my pick for a 300 BO, but i would chose another brand
Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 PM

Which AR Scope?

Pick a better scope! Nikon or Vortex eg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Texas Guy; 05-13-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 09:56 PM
More Cowbell...

Whats your total budget for scope and mount?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:51 PM

Burris is not a good brand, not as good as Vortex? Me baffled.

Around $400 is my budget for this 16" rifle. I just a avg joe civilian, so its not like i'll be tacti-cool or anything. This more of recreation rifle. My SBR will be more for SD, etc.

Vortex StrikeEagle 1-6x24??

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 05-12-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:20 AM

Burris is an ok brand.
There are scopes with much better glass than Burris.
Japanese and Chinese glass is much better than Philippine
Old 05-13-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faawrenchbender View Post
Burris is an ok brand.
There are scopes with much better glass than Burris.
Japanese and Chinese glass is much better than Philippine
So what Vortex item would be suggested? Strike Eagle 1-6x24 ?

But in the context of a recreational rifle, would the glass diff really be that much of a diff to worry about. Bushnell makes some expensive pieces too, is their glass inferior to others?

Interestingly enough, I am looking into exactly why Vortex (and some others) uses argon to purge their optics. Argon will leak slower than N2 in any given rubber sealed envelope. I read a few articles about purging equipment and from those articles the argon purging equip needs less maintenance, which means more work time for the equip, but I dont care so much about the purging equip. Purging has two main things to worry about after purging, leaking and light refraction.

Via Graham's Law, Argon is heavier than N2 thus the Argon will effuse more slowly.

Argon will also refract light slightly less than N2, but this diff may be of no significance because one can play around with interface coatings and tube/glass geometry to correct any refraction issues.

Argon and N2 are fairly close in refraction index:

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 05-13-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:53 AM

What you could do is go to Bass Pro, Academy Sports, or some other retailer and physically look through the scopes in your price range you're considering. Then you'll have a good idea as to the clarity, the reticle, whether the turrets lock, first or second focal plane, size, weight, etc. A variable power scope is kind of a personal choice. People on the Internet will give you their honest opinion, but what you consider important might be slightly different than what they consider important.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
What you could do is go to Bass Pro, Academy Sports, or some other retailer and physically look through the scopes in your price range you're considering. Then you'll have a good idea as to the clarity, the reticle, whether the turrets lock, first or second focal plane, size, weight, etc. A variable power scope is kind of a personal choice. People on the Internet will give you their honest opinion, but what you consider important might be slightly different than what they consider important.
Oh, I get it. Was just wondering what others recommend, and why.

I sometime shy away from products with that crazy-best warranty, as many times the product will need to go back for fixing at no cost to me, but to me that says I have less time with a working product. So, for me, warranty is not always the highest decision making metric on my list, etc.

To be honest, a cheapo $200 Bushnell will likely be fine for my needs, but I still looking at various factors.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Well, I didn't mention warranty of any kind, but good luck with your search.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Well, I didn't mention warranty of any kind, but good luck with your search.
There are several good u toob vids about this and that item vs the Vortex. Many of them simply came down to the warranty from Vortex because the features were basically even-steven. But Burris also gives a lifetime warranty.

The Vortex Strike Eagle is N2 purged.

I'll keep looking at the countless numerous brands within the price-point this 16" deserves.

But let me ask, in a basic 1-4 do you prefer FFP or SFP ?
Old 05-13-2019, 05:16 PM

First off, I think a 1x4 is perfect. Secondly, there are advantages and disadvantages of FFP versus SFP variable power scopes. SFP are typically cheaper and I think they are faster to acquire a sight picture at 1 power. So I'd go with a SFP. I can't remember if the Vortex Viper is FFP or SFP, but it's fairly reasonably priced and has great glass, I think.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:25 PM

I've got a Burris scope and I think it's just fine. I've also got Nightforce, Kayles, Vertex, and others. Don't worry about labels. That's why I said to go to a retailer and physically look through a few. Plus, other stuff is important, like size, weight, do the turrets lock, the reticle design, is the scope reticle lighted when needed? LOOK THROUGH THEM AND YOU WILL BE INFORMED.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 PM

Leupold mark ar 1-4 scope with their spr fire dot g green dot reticle is what I run on my 300blk. It can be had between $350 and $450. It is also very light weight. Buds has it right now and will take at least as low as $350.

Last edited by remanaz; 05-13-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Stupid auto fuuk up feature
Old 05-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I've got a Burris scope and I think it's just fine. I've also got Nightforce, Kayles, Vertex, and others. Don't worry about labels. That's why I said to go to a retailer and physically look through a few. Plus, other stuff is important, like size, weight, do the turrets lock, the reticle design, is the scope reticle lighted when needed? LOOK THROUGH THEM AND YOU WILL BE INFORMED.
Other than the Nikon I have on my 3006, any of these items we are talking about will be way better than the other junk I already have, although the junk I have works ok.

That said, my thoughts on the Burris mtac kit item is that 1) it's a 3pc kit, comes with the pepr mount, scope, and FF3, 2) I thought I might take the FF3 over to the SBR build I am working on. So for a fairly low price I get to cover two rifles with one buy, AND, the Burris brand isnt all that bad, certainly not the "best", but not bad.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:24 PM

If the Burris fits your budget and needs then your decision is easy.
For me, clarity of the optic and light gathering is slightly more important than cost. But, that does drive the price up a bit. I save up and wait until I can afford what I want/need. When I stated I would chose a better brand, you had not posted you had a budget.

Last edited by Faawrenchbender; 05-13-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faawrenchbender View Post
If the Burris fits your budget and needs then your decision is easy.
For me, clarity of the optic and light gathering is slightly more important than cost. But, that does drive the price up a bit. I save up and wait until I can afford what I want/need. When I stated I would chose a better brand, you had not posted you had a budget.
So Vortex is using better glass than Burris.

Is the Vortex Strike Eagle better than the Burris mtac in terms of brightness that I or you would be able to tell the diff between the two?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 PM

The Vortex, in my opinion, does have better glass. But, in the 1-4, the Trijicon TR24 got my money.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:45 PM

Check this one out, it has the BDC feature and can be had for the 300 BO

Nikon, P-TACTICAL .223 3x32 BDC Carbine

I have it on my 16" carbine set up for close quarters and so far has been great to 200 yards too.

Cheers,
Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post

I sometime shy away from products with that crazy-best warranty, as many times the product will need to go back for fixing at no cost to me, but to me that says I have less time with a working product. So, for me, warranty is not always the highest decision making metric on my list, etc.
With scopes it should be high on your list. We ask a lot of a a relatively fine instrument made of glass and small moving parts. Even the best fail at times and how the company deals with it is a huge plus if you spend good money on one. I have had two out of dozens of scopes fail. One was a defect and Leupold fixed it and it has been perfect since. The other was my fault, the rifle slipped out of my hands and landed on the top turret absolutely crushing it. Scope still worked and held zero but turret was trashed. Meopta fixed it free even after I admitted it was my fault. It goes beyond a repair of a broken or defective scope though. Customer service is part and parcel to a good warranty. My son recently bought a Vortex. He first asked my opinion on what he should get, then as kids do he bought the exact opposite. He didn't like it at all. He had a question about the reticle and called Vortex. During the conversation he mentioned he was not really liking the scope much and the customer service rep asked him what he would like? After more discussion the rep said box it up and send it to me and within two weeks they had a better grade of scope with a reticle he now loves on his rifle for no charge.

For your rifle I would suggest the Steiner PX4i, or the Vortex viper pst 1-4. I prefer the simpler reticle of the PX4i. I am not a fan of Burris scopes or Nikon due to the thick outline of the eye box when looking thru the ocular.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
For your rifle I would suggest the Steiner PX4i, or the Vortex viper pst 1-4. I prefer the simpler reticle of the PX4i. I am not a fan of Burris scopes or Nikon due to the thick outline of the eye box when looking thru the ocular.
I looking at Steiner too, they are however 2x the price of the others.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:04 PM

Kid, you mentioned Burris. Larue Tactical has the Burris MTAC 1.5 x 6 on one of their outstanding mounts, (LT-104) for $525. Remember, a strong, well designed mount is just as important as the optic itself.

Back to the scopes, if you could stretch a bit, ($900 on Larue LT-104), my recommendation would be the Trijicon Accu-power 1 x 4. I'm outta here...
Old 05-14-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Kid, you mentioned Burris. Larue Tactical has the Burris MTAC 1.5 x 6 on one of their outstanding mounts, (LT-104) for $525. Remember, a strong, well designed mount is just as important as the optic itself.

Back to the scopes, if you could stretch a bit, ($900 on Larue LT-104), my recommendation would be the Trijicon Accu-power 1 x 4. I'm outta here...
I am looking at the Steiner on a Burris pepr mount.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:49 PM

Ok, so, warranty is not a concern as almost all the big names in scopes have great warranty terms.

I had sent email to Burris and then to Vortex (Vortex a day after Burris). I got a speedy reply from Vortex (although the reply was kinda useless), but no reply from Burris.

Given the use of this rifle I am leaning towards Vortex Strike Eagle scope with a Burris pepr mount (picatinny top ring halves).

This should suit my needs.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 AM

I use a couple of the illuminated Bushnell's in .223. Good scopes. Can't imagine that you'd need bdc for .300 Blackout.

Not a Glock armorer!