1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-16-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominy04 View Post
I have some good info on essential gear you need to keep on you in your Bug Out Vehicle. Check out my video and let me know what yíall think, or if I need to add anything or take anything out. deleted

due to YouTube's anti gun push, unfortunately I am unwilling to support them or click on your link. I"m happy to hear your thoughts here or if you publish them literally anywhere else.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
I agree they're very durable..and I personally wouldn't bother to carry one
(in millions of miles, I've never broke or threw one that wasn't caused by failed pulley)

but the ones I've changed didn't get much easier.
(certainly compared to loosening bolts and sliding things)

a 3/8 ratchet and short extension into the spot provided on the tensioner pulley bracket is all it takes.(on the few I've changed anyway)

and the belt routing diagram is under the hood too

easier and faster than changing a tire

to the subject....

what to carry...

water, tools and toilet paper

..L.T.A.
Toilet paper is one of the most important things.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:05 AM

well its not just on youtube, check it out here bud... this is my website

https://txwco.com/videos-page-two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominy04 View Post
well its not just on youtube, check it out here bud... this is my website

https://txwco.com/videos-page-two
Keep up the good work, friend.

Thank you for your support of the Fisher House Foundation. Best of America... right there.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 AM

I'll offer this---what is important that hasn't been discussed is knowing where you're going to take refuge and a plan "B"---cross town or cross the time zone? Will it be on surface streets or fire break roads? That should inform your choice of assets.

Driving a deuce and a half will permit you to take along a traveling machine shop, but what really is practical for your purpose?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
you're going to take refuge and a plan "B"
Leave your truck - plan B...Worst case scenario on foot, Keeping a small little pack in my truck. Water, small compass and a Handheld GPS, extra batteries. Among the most important, for my most likely scenario.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:20 AM

I saw all this stuff about bugginí out all the time. My question is bugginí out from what? It is not a sarcastic question.

Where I live, insurrection, zombie attacks 🧟*♂️ 🧟*♀️, wild fires, and earthquakes are rare. Although I do see an occasional wild pig , alligator, or snake , all of them are easily handled with my shotgun or 300BLK AR. Never had so many I had to BO. After watching dinosaurs 🦕 resurgence in Jurassic Park, I am slightly concerned about not owning a .50 BMG, but will wait until at least one Tyrannosaurus rex🦖, is spotted before selling my wifeís car so I can afford the ammo.

ON March 20, 1986, I did get caught in a tornado that tore apart the roof of a building I was in. Didnít bug out from that either. The NWS was kind enough to sound a warning siren about two minutes after the roof and front glass of my building was torn off, and the streets around me were filled with downed poles, sparking wires, crashed cars, bricks and roofs from buildings. So, I really donít think it is likely anybody can BO a tornado. The streets wonít be drivable even if you can find them in the mess after to event.

Same thing for earthquakes. If you have an earthquake and itís bad enough to bug out, you arenít driving anywhere. And if you decide to walk out with a back pack, where you going to walk to? You probably have to cross bridges to get anywhere and they might not be standing, and having seen the aftermath of an earthquake in New Zealand, the roads are not going to be drivable, maybe not even walkable.

So, if I had to bug out, about the only realistic threat would be posed by a hurricane. Having seen Matthew ride up the East coast from Florida, driving out can be more dangerous than staying and hunkering down. I was foolish enough to evacuate and saw a constant stream of vehicular carnage all the way to Tennessee, then returning was just as dangerous.

That leaves only nuclear war on my list. Where you going to get to in 19 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2018, 09:46 AM

Forced to displace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivoak View Post
Where I live
In Syria alone, over five million displaced from their homes and country in 2016. Look at the numbers for displaced persons worldwide. Look at the Continents on our planet immune from displacement. Americans are a very lucky breed.

Last edited by HarryO45; 06-25-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
In Syria alone, over five million displaced from their homes and country in 2016. Look at the numbers for displaced persons worldwide. Look at the contents on our planet immune from displacement. Americans are a very lucky breed.
Yes we are!

Displaced people had nowhere to go and if fortunate spent their energy bugging out to a DP camp. In the US I'd hope we give thought to where we'd seek shelter and let that inform the how to get there, 'cause we be prepared, right?.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:20 PM

my real though it to bug out from work to my house. i live in a hot and crowded metroplex and the people are $&*tty drivers on the best day, let alone an emergency. My wife works from home 95% of the time and our day care is less than a mile from the house, so my big goal is get back to there. I really don't want to do a 12 mile walk in this heat, so I'm working on what I can do to make my SUV a bit harder/more capable for jumping curbs, cutting through random little fields, and not being laid up at the first accident I come to.

oh that reminds me, we had a bad traffic accident that left people stuck on the road for almost 3 hours. I always check GPS before going anywhere, but it could still happen right in front of you. I had a bottle of gatorade, water, and enough gas to sit there with the AC running the whole time, but I"ll be adding a few diapers/wipes/snacks in case something like that happens with the kid in the car.

I plan to build my rear shelf thingy over the next 2 weeks. I have the framework but this will give me a 6" high, 3'x2' storage area that I can dedicate to this project. I figure a spare pair of hiking boots and at least a case of water will help.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
my real though it to bug out from work to my house. i live in a hot and crowded metroplex and the people are $&*tty drivers on the best day, let alone an emergency. My wife works from home 95% of the time and our day care is less than a mile from the house,

so my big goal is get back to there.

that makes sense to me now

with the ground clearance most vehicles and pret'near every 4x4 SUV or truck, there's not much in an urban environment (curbs) that would stop one.
and anything that would, like fences or drainage ditches/creeks and such, you'd need more than a "gray man" ride

Do you, or have you done any off road trail, sand, snow and mud 4x4'ing Steve?
If not, go get that ride dirty in a few different environments and get a feel for where it can and can't go with you at the wheel

imHo, you'll get more "practical" value from that, than all the paracord, guns, ammo and water purification systems stacked in the back

..L.T.A.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivoak View Post
I saw all this stuff about bugginí out all the time. My question is bugginí out from what? It is not a sarcastic question.

Where I live, insurrection, zombie attacks 🧟*♂️ 🧟*♀️, wild fires, and earthquakes are rare. Although I do see an occasional wild pig , alligator, or snake , all of them are easily handled with my shotgun or 300BLK AR. Never had so many I had to BO. After watching dinosaurs 🦕 resurgence in Jurassic Park, I am slightly concerned about not owning a .50 BMG, but will wait until at least one Tyrannosaurus rex🦖, is spotted before selling my wifeís car so I can afford the ammo.

ON March 20, 1986, I did get caught in a tornado that tore apart the roof of a building I was in. Didnít bug out from that either. The NWS was kind enough to sound a warning siren about two minutes after the roof and front glass of my building was torn off, and the streets around me were filled with downed poles, sparking wires, crashed cars, bricks and roofs from buildings. So, I really donít think it is likely anybody can BO a tornado. The streets wonít be drivable even if you can find them in the mess after to event.

Same thing for earthquakes. If you have an earthquake and itís bad enough to bug out, you arenít driving anywhere. And if you decide to walk out with a back pack, where you going to walk to? You probably have to cross bridges to get anywhere and they might not be standing, and having seen the aftermath of an earthquake in New Zealand, the roads are not going to be drivable, maybe not even walkable.

So, if I had to bug out, about the only realistic threat would be posed by a hurricane. Having seen Matthew ride up the East coast from Florida, driving out can be more dangerous than staying and hunkering down. I was foolish enough to evacuate and saw a constant stream of vehicular carnage all the way to Tennessee, then returning was just as dangerous.

That leaves only nuclear war on my list. Where you going to get to in 19 minutes?
This.

The whole BOV and BO as a concept make zero sense to me. There is no scenario where I would voluntarily leave my home.
I have water. A Back up generator that will run my entire house. Plenty of gas to run it.
Plenty of food. There's no reason for me to leave. None.

OTOH....I live in Valhalla. My thoughts might be otherwise if I lived in the city or the burbs. In fact.....if you live in one of those places where you would need or want to BO......What the hell are you waiting for??? Move and get out now.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:49 AM

I am working on my BOV now.

I have a golf Kart that I am mounting twin paint ball guns on.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I have a golf Kart that I am mounting twin paint ball guns on.

Good. I will just follow the trail you blaze on your way out of town. Just remember, if itís zombies you are running from, you are probably going to need to splat them in the head.

Also, if you are like so of the bug outer advocates who I have seen posting, your are going to need to cover your head, and probably most of your body with tin foil.

In my earlier post, I didnít mention the threat posed by vampires. 🧛*♂️ Be sure to take plenty of fresh garlic with you to tie around your neck. It has to be FRESH garlic. Garlic salt doesnít work. I tried that the last time I bugged out, and got bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
This.

The whole BOV and BO as a concept make zero sense to me. There is no scenario where I would voluntarily leave my home.
I have water. A Back up generator that will run my entire house. Plenty of gas to run it.

OTOH....I live in Valhalla. My thoughts might be otherwise if I lived in the city or the burbs. In fact.....if you live in one of those places where you would need or want to BO......What the hell are you waiting for??? Move and get out now.
No one voluntarily bugs out, you go because you have to. Iíve been told to leave my house twice in my life, once for fire and once for flood. In both cases I didnít need to go far but staying put wasnít an option. IMO bugging out isnít the fantasy, think youíre always going to have a choice is.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
that makes sense to me now

with the ground clearance most vehicles and pret'near every 4x4 SUV or truck, there's not much in an urban environment (curbs) that would stop one. good to know
and anything that would, like fences or drainage ditches/creeks and such, you'd need more than a "gray man" ride that's what i'm thinking with tools and stuff. maybe a bolt cutter/enough rope or tow strap that I could get at least medium fencing out of the way. I know I won't be able to get past concrete medians but anything shy of that would make me happy.

Do you, or have you done any off road trail, sand, snow and mud 4x4'ing Steve?
If not, go get that ride dirty in a few different environments and get a feel for where it can and can't go with you at the wheel I have years of dirt, light off road, and snow driving experience, but not in this new to me truck. Going to need to break it in a bit and see what it can do.

imHo, you'll get more "practical" value from that, than all the paracord, guns, ammo and water purification systems stacked in the back

..L.T.A.
thanks! I'm already leaning towards some more recovery stuff than I have now, along with a little bit of E&E I guess if I need to get through a fence or whatever.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
No one voluntarily bugs out, you go because you have to. Iíve been told to leave my house twice in my life, once for fire and once for flood. In both cases I didnít need to go far but staying put wasnít an option. IMO bugging out isnít the fantasy, think youíre always going to have a choice is.
In either case, I'm not throwing a bag into a BOV and living off the land somewhere. I'm going to check into a 5 star and State Farm is going to write me a big fat check.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
This.

You might get lucky and not have to "bug out". Some of us may not be so fortunate.
I live in what is essentially a desert. ALL the water in the river is either used for City water, or diverted for crop irrigation. Even so, the City has dozens of wells to supply the water needed.
If something happens and power fails, there will be no pumping, and therefor no water. If this happens in the summer time, the town will be a ghost town in a short period. With temps often in excess of 100*, without power to run A/Cs or swamp coolers this town will be uninhabitable.
I keep about 160 gals of water on hand, but that won't last long, and once it's gone, I'm off to the foothills where my brother has land and a well. One can only store so much water and gasoline(for a generator).
Old 06-26-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
This.

OTOH....I live in Valhalla. My thoughts might be otherwise if I lived in the city or the burbs. In fact.....if you live in one of those places where you would need or want to BO......What the hell are you waiting for??? Move and get out now. offer me a job that pays as well as this city job but it's out in the country and I will join you in a week!
My house is pretty well equipped, for a suburban house. month or 2 of food, gas, generator, water collection, etc. But there's nowhere to sustainably grow food. My extended family is 1k miles away. I am also less than a day's hike if you're in decent shape from some of the poorest, sketchiest, crime ridden areas I've ever seen. If something bad happens and the city is cut off, it's only a matter of time before everyone starts to leave. My goal is to be on the first wave out and not deal with the stragglers or when it gets really bad.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
In either case, I'm not throwing a bag into a BOV and living off the land somewhere. I'm going to check into a 5 star and State Farm is going to write me a big fat check.
Thatís swell but it has nothing to do with your original statement. The fact of the matter is there are circumstances that can drive people from theyíre homes. Like it or not, prepared for it or not, you may be one of them. Having a few things in your vehicle to make it a better BOV isnít about where you might end up going, itís about the ability to go and to keep going. I donít know about Valhalla but here in suburbia anything that has me up and out has the potential to force lots of other folks up and out at exactly the same time. Maybe millions. Chances are youíre not going to be the first one on the road or be the first guy to try and make a reservation to stay someplace. When youíre forced out of you house or business your vehicle isnít just your transportation, itís your home and office until you reach your destination. That might be minutes but it could be days.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:18 AM
Banned

Well....Hey....if you gotta go you gotta go. Safe travels.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:11 AM

As usual, I am late to the show......

I have a US Land Cruiser with the 5.7. It goes wherever I point it. I have been considering a winch and roof rack. I have plenty of gas cans and a 300 gallon storage tank for both gas and diesel, that my kid ensures stays rotated . I keep a case of water, a small BoB, an AR pistol and armor, emergency roadside repair kit (Radiator patch, tire plugs, compressor, flashing LED lights and a bunch of hand tools...) I also have a group-sized FAK with everything from TQT's to poison ivy salve. As I sad, this is to get me home.

My house is on a hill, no history of flood since Moses, very few trees to be threatened by fire. I have a water source, a greenhouse and enough food to get through a complete year until we can grow and harvest food. I also have the means to protect this. For a short term evac, like TRSotto, I leave with my AMEX card to the nearest Marriott. I do not want to leave. But if I have to, I also have a flat bed trailer that I put the tractor and 2 four wheelers on and a horse trainer that I fill with food, generators and other supplies and 2 horses, tac and pull with the Super Duty. We can sleep in the trailer as well. We then move to our reciprocal location.

The "Two is One" may seem silly until it touches your life. Then it makes total sense. Like wccountryboy said, its a military thing and a thousand miles or two from home is no time to decide you should have brought another............ fill in the blank.

Ref the greyman concept, I know it works, but I travel to a lot of unsavory places and hide in plain sight. I also think there is a lot of value in the power of deterrence. Sun Tzu says the best victory is the battle never fought. Does that dynamic occur because you have a rugged looking vehicle or because you are driving a corolla? If you are a dentist or a lawyer or a mechanic, then its easier to blend in with the crowd. But GI's, especially SOF guys trying to blend in, look like SOF guys trying to blend in, unless they are uber well trained. My philosophy is to have what I need. If I need a winch, I will have one, but the smart place to put it is on the Super Duty, not the Land Cruiser. Perhaps a lighter shade of grey?
Old 07-28-2018, 10:31 AM

OK a tough high clearance 4wd that gets great mileage, has large gas tank and a big trunk or bed.
This sounds very close to a Toyota Hilux.
ISIS must have already figured this one out for us!
Old 07-28-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
OK a tough high clearance 4wd that gets great mileage, has large gas tank and a big trunk or bed.
This sounds very close to a Toyota Hilux.
ISIS must have already figured this one out for us!
The Hilux is a cooler version of our Tacoma here in the states. My GX is the US version of the Prado, so a Land Cruiser pretty much. shares a lot with the 4runner but a bit more powerful and decked out.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
A few magazines to read while stuck in traffic gridlock. Just so you can keep up with what's going on with the Kardashians.
If you use magazines to keep up with what the Kardashians are doing you're already behind the times. You gotta have your cell phone set up with live alerts or else you'll miss whatever party or photo op they're attending.

As for the subject at hand, my DD is a cheap gas miser so it's certainly not going to do as a serious BOV, which I would imagine as an all-terrain vehicle equipped with a winch, chain saw, and anything else needed to clear the road in front of me. For my daily driver the stuff I'm carrying is what I'm most likely to need if the POS strands me along the highway at night. As for a vehicle to get me away from danger and to a safe place, I can only say that the highways around here in the Puget Sound area are virtually impassable any time during the day, and that's with no emergency going on. If Mt. Rainier were to erupt or something most people are going to die because fleeing on foot would actually be faster than trying to drive out of here.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 07-29-2018 at 04:52 PM.