First mention by Cooper of 2 G holster retention ?? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-03-2018, 06:50 PM

First mention by Cooper of 2 G holster retention ??

A recent holster discussion brought up the question of when Jeff Cooper first wrote that a holster should retain the pistol against a force of 2 G's ... that is .. a force equal to twice its own weight.

I remember first reading that statement in perhaps the early 1970's but cannot find the quote in my stack of stuff.

I did find a statement in the 1965 Complete Book of Shooting that with a spring shoulder holster "the spring should be strong enough to hold the pistol in place against a load of four or five G’s."

Anybody?

Last edited by SG688; 03-03-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:13 PM

Two possible sources: his book "Cooper on Handguns" and/or possibly when he wrote his monthly column for Guns & Ammo?

regards,
Old 03-03-2018, 07:22 PM

I recall that statement from the complete book of shooting. I think Cooper eventually gave up on shoulder holsters, though, except for hunting.

CARPE SCOTCH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG688 View Post
A recent holster discussion brought up the question of when Jeff Cooper first wrote that a holster should retain the pistol against a force of 2 G's ... that is .. a force equal to twice its own weight.

I remember first reading that statement in perhaps the early 1970's but cannot find the quote in my stack of stuff.

I did find a statement in the 1965 Complete Book of Shooting that with a spring shoulder holster "the spring should be strong enough to hold the pistol in place against a load of four or five Gs."

Anybody?
Page 94 of Cooper on Handguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper
I have introduced a pair of holster restrictions into recent competition - regrettably, because restrictions are bad in principle. But something had to be done, so now a holster must have either a positive latch which is released on the draw, or it must retain the pistol against a withdrawal force of twice its weight...
Also on page 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper
18.The holster must hold the pistol against a withdrawal force of twice its own weight, or be equipped with a latch which positively locks the pistol in and must be manually released for each draw...

Last edited by T. Kanaley; 03-03-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:44 PM

Sorry. I wrote badly. I was thinking of a statement before COH. Perhaps COH was the first. Probably about the same time, in any case.

Thanks.

Last edited by SG688; 03-04-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:31 PM

I don't know about early Cooper, but once upon a time you could be required to do a somersault at a SWPL or IPSC match.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:11 PM

At my old IPSC Club they would sometimes tape the grip of one 1911 to the grip of another 1911 while it was in it's holster and hold it upside down to test for retention. They soon stop doing that as many competitor would just tighten up the tension screw just for the test and then unscrew the tension screw for the match.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 AM

Back in the day, when John Pepper ran the combat pistol matches at Berwyn Rod and Gun in MD he had folks do a front summersault, or sometimes jump over a low wall, to test retention. We also shot the ballistic pendulum to test power factor.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.