Regent Hi-Powers? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-31-2017, 09:28 AM

Regent Hi-Powers?

I had a friend send me a link to a catalog of Regent Firearms recently. They have a couple of different Hi-Powers, one is stainless. I have not been able to find out much about them and a "Search" here didn't produce much info. Anybody have information on these?
Old 12-31-2017, 10:06 AM

hmmm... I had no luck finding the BHPs. I used this link http://www.regentarms.com/products/
Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemsf View Post
I had a friend send me a link to a catalog of Regent Firearms recently. They have a couple of different Hi-Powers, one is stainless.
Can you post the link to the catalog with the Hi Powers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2017, 10:30 AM

I did a quick web search and found 2 Regent versions of a BHP. One was stainless finish the other was black cerakote. There wasn't much information except the standard dimensions and pictures from a product catalog (not Regent's website).
Old 12-31-2017, 02:09 PM

Yes, please post a link to the Hi-Powers.

Is the stainless one listed as being "stainless", or does it just look like stainless?

Browning did make some that were either nickle or chrome plated, not sure which, but they never made any that were stainless. I do believe that Chuck Warner of Warner Precision does, or did, make one.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:11 PM

http://www.lkcillc.com/products/9mm/
Old 12-31-2017, 03:29 PM

The H-P's shown in the catalog are TISAS, a recent Turkish clone (ZiG 14 in Black and INOX stainless-- http://www.trabzonsilah.com/en/taban...ategori_tid=98 ). They were available for a while in Canada...but I'm not sure that they were ever offered in the US (??) A few of their other product offerings are also from TISAS as well.

Perhaps REGENT has begun importing them to the US with their 'roll marks' on 'em ??

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr...ghlight=zig+14
Old 12-31-2017, 04:21 PM

I have been lusting for one of these Tisas Hi Powers. Canada has been importing them for a while. Some of them were called the "Canuck", but I see other names on them, depending I guess who is importing them up there.

https://theshootingedge.com/products...-9mm-tse-23140

http://tandtarms.com/tisas-canuck-pistols/

The reason that I am not hopeful that we will ever see them is that a few months back, Zenith, the American based importation arm of MKE, the parent company of the makers, who has been importing the Turkish guns from Tisas, Girsan and others is no longer going to import any more handguns. Not only will we not get the Hi Power, we have lost the decent 1911 that they offered here over the last few years. They have bought a huge facility and plan to manufacture their popular MP5 variant here. They plan to put all of their energy in to that.

https://spotterup.com/zenith-firearms-big-shift/

https://zenithfirearms.com/blog/news/

I suppose that it is possible that someone else will work something out with MKE, pick up the ball and start importing them again, and maybe even bring in the Hi Power. But right now, there is little reason to be optimistic about getting one. My slight optimism is assuming that they still are even being made in Turkey. I have seen it said that they are, and that they are not.

Last edited by racoonbeast60; 12-31-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-31-2017, 04:28 PM

Omega Arms might be the new TISAS importer. Their website has the Regent BR9s as well. Website and location are similar to the LKCI site. No prices, will send an inquiry to see if or when they will be available and for the price.

http://www.omegaarms.us/our-products/regent-9-x-19-mm/
Old 12-31-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKSAIL View Post
The H-P's shown in the catalog are TISAS, a recent Turkish clone (ZiG 14 in Black and INOX stainless-- http://www.trabzonsilah.com/en/taban...ategori_tid=98 ). They were available for a while in Canada...but I'm not sure that they were ever offered in the US (??) A few of their other product offerings are also from TISAS as well.

Perhaps REGENT has begun importing them to the US with their 'roll marks' on 'em ??

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr...ghlight=zig+14
Yup, that is the Tisas Zig 14 and is offered in stainless. It was announced at Shot Show 2017 (I think it was 2017) that it would be released in the US, but then Tisas re-prioritized their production to the military contracts they had. As a result it has not made it to the US yet.

I am now wondering if Regent has entered into a contract with Tisas and has begun importing them under their name. I will need to see what I can find out. I have wanted one of these since hearing about them a year or two ago.

Thanks for the link.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:20 PM

I tried to reach out to them via their web sight and was unable to get anywhere. I sent them an email and have already received a response. Their response was very polite, I must admit that it was much more polite than my email, and they admitted that they have a problem with their web site and have had other complaints. They also said that they would be addressing the issues with their web sight after the new year.

In the meantime, they suggest calling them at 740-763-0027, I will probably call them sometime next week.

If the REGENT BR 9 is indeed the Tizas Zig 14, and is now available here in the States, I am definitely interested in getting one in stainless if it can be found at a reasonable price.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
I tried to reach out to them via their web sight and was unable to get anywhere. I sent them an email and have already received a response. Their response was very polite, I must admit that it was much more polite than my email, and they admitted that they have a problem with their web site and have had other complaints. They also said that they would be addressing the issues with their web sight after the new year.

In the meantime, they suggest calling them at 740-763-0027, I will probably call them sometime next week.

If the REGENT BR 9 is indeed the Tizas Zig 14, and is now available here in the States, I am definitely interested in getting one in stainless if it can be found at a reasonable price.

I'm wanting one as well....
Old 12-31-2017, 10:03 PM

If they shoot as nice as they look, I may be interested in a stainless - if it's truly SS and not plated.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthogge View Post
If they shoot as nice as they look, I may be interested in a stainless - if it's truly SS and not plated.
Agreed. My primary questions have to do with the material - stainless versus carbon steel, parts compatibility and whether or not it has a firing pin safety. The Tisas web sight says that the Zig 14, which I am pretty sure is what this is, has a hammer safety, but does not explain what that is. I am guessing that they are referring to a firing pin drop safety when they say "Hammer Safety" but want to make sure. I am also curious if the Black Ceracote model is also a stainless frame and slide.

Based on what I have heard about the Canuk (the Tizas Zig 14 imported into Canada), about the only thing that I can see that I would want to change is the thumb safety and maybe sights. I would put on a C&S extended thumb safety, assuming parts compatibility.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Don't be holding your breath to ever see the TISAS ZIG14. The ZENITH representative who wrote me ( I pestered them for one for 6 months) Said "Tisas has CEASED PRODUCTION of the ZIG 14 HPs to concentrate on filling government & military contracts"
I assume he was leveling with me, because I am aware of the political climate in that part of the world, as Turkey now seems to lean away from the USA.
I also never got a satisfactory answer about "STAINLESS" content. I doubt that they ever would have 2 seperate fabrication operations for a pistol they thought little enough of to dis-continue production. Many import handgun brands call plating "Stainless finish".
I had been saving for a stainless Zig 14, but went ahead & purchased a Hard Chromed, surplus FEG, & refurbished it. Maybe Turks not getting my money is a good thing.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:09 PM

I just got off the phone with Gebel at LKCI in Ohio.

They are selling the BR9s from Tisas. The black cerakote is $454 plus shipping, and the stainless is $480 plus shipping. He said the stainless was a stainless pistol and not plate. He is currently out of the stainless model but the black cerakote is ready to ship. He also mentioned all parts are fully interchangeable with Hi Powers.

He mentioned calling is the best way to order, and they will calculate shipping and send to the FFL, and they accept credit cards. He said he expects to have the Stainless model in sometime in February.

Weemsf, thanks for posting.

Might be ordering one later this week.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:56 PM

It would seem the the '..catch..' to the TİSAŞ Turkish-clone ZiG 14 from any importer/supplier is probably going to be how long ANY continues to offer and support this H-P clone ??...and/or whether they'll still be in business a year or so from now ?? Parts are supposed to be inter-changeable with FN/Browning but.....who knows ??
Old 01-01-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSig View Post

They are selling the BR9s from Tisas. The black cerakote is $454 plus shipping, and the stainless is $480 plus shipping. He said the stainless was a stainless pistol and not plate. He is currently out of the stainless model but the black cerakote is ready to ship. He also mentioned all parts are fully interchangeable with Hi Powers.

He mentioned calling is the best way to order, and they will calculate shipping and send to the FFL, and they accept credit cards. He said he expects to have the Stainless model in sometime in February.

WOW - was I mislead. Thanks for correcting me on all counts.
Probably a good idea to jump on this. Wonder if the stainless will be back in stock ? It's the one I wanted.

DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING FROM ZENITH FIREARMS !
Old 01-01-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSig View Post

Thanks for the update. This answers a lot of my questions.

Did he happen to mention what the Black Ceracote model was made out of? Is it stainless with a ceracote finish, or is it standard carbon steel with a ceracote finish? I would not expect them to have two different production lines for different materials and would hope that the Black Ceracote model is just stainless with the ceracote finish, but nothing would surprise me.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
It would seem the the '..catch..' to the TİSAŞ Turkish-clone ZiG 14 from any importer/supplier is probably going to be how long ANY continues to offer and support this H-P clone ??...and/or whether they'll still be in business a year or so from now ?? Parts are supposed to be inter-changeable with FN/Browning but.....who knows ??
KDKSAIL, I dont disagree, but the only way to find out the true availability, quality and interchangeability is to order one. I have not owned a Tisas, can any members comment on their quality?

Crasig, even after speaking with LKCI, I remain a little skeptical, and will not be sure until I have one in my hands. When I order, I will update on the process.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
Thanks for the update. This answers a lot of my questions.

Did he happen to mention what the Black Ceracote model was made out of? Is it stainless with a ceracote finish, or is it standard carbon steel with a ceracote finish? I would not expect them to have two different production lines for different materials and would hope that the Black Ceracote model is just stainless with the ceracote finish, but nothing would surprise me.
Black Jack, I did not ask what the black Cerakote was made from. I plan on ordering in the next day or two, and will ask then. I will also ask and make sure on the stainless steel being solid and not some type of plate.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:33 PM

Nice to see that the Hi power is still being made by someone. A little unrelated, but I wonder If NightHawk would consider sourcing an American clone, as soon as their Belgian supply runs out. I am surprised Wilson even bothered to design the X9, when there is already a superb 9mm single action to clone (I am not hating on the X9, its a great gun too.) The Hi power, for whatever reason is virtually ignored in this part of the world. Us Americans refuse to let the 1911 die, but ignore the Hi Power, as if it were aniquated junk. The Hi Power is the best kept secret in the world of single action 9mms.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:31 PM

>>>... Hi Power, as if it were aniquated junk. The Hi Power is the best kept secret in the world of single action 9mms...<<<

NO...just in the United States....where up until fairly recently in the H-P's long history, it was considered a '..sissy..' 9mm (John Wayne would never carried a 9mm)....And...back when the 'plastic fantastics' were comin' along, Browning did little or nuthin' to promote the H-P in the US (FN was still doin' a fair trade among international government & military contracts).....and...compared to many other pistols comin' onto the market, the H-P was EXPENSIVE...firearms manufacturers were heavily advertising and promoting '..cooler / sexier..' guns, at significantly lower prices ('plastic fantastics' offered, quite literally, '..more bang for the buck..'...and for most of the civilian firearms market...THAT's what counted and for much of the contract government & law enforcement market, 'bucks' mattered).
Old 01-02-2018, 07:54 AM

I guess I just don't understand the desire to own an unsupported Turkish Clone of the BHP. There are still tons of used FN/Browning guns everywhere used in VG to excellent condition for similar pricing. I buy them all the time to use as base guns for custom builds or strictly as shooters. People act as if this has not been tried before. Charles Daly took a run at this market with their DW/Magnum Research assembled FEGs. No one bought them. They had known parts like Spegel designed grips, XD sights etc.... Still no one bought them.

The only mildly interesting one is the stainless steel version. Honestly I just don't understand it. There is no real market for these guns. It is not just that it is not a 1911 or fantastic plastic. There is a lot more to it than that.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
>>>... Hi Power, as if it were aniquated junk. The Hi Power is the best kept secret in the world of single action 9mms...<<<

NO...just in the United States....where up until fairly recently in the H-P's long history, it was considered a '..sissy..' 9mm (John Wayne would never carried a 9mm)....And...back when the 'plastic fantastics' were comin' along, Browning did little or nuthin' to promote the H-P in the US (FN was still doin' a fair trade among international government & military contracts).....and...compared to many other pistols comin' onto the market, the H-P was EXPENSIVE...firearms manufacturers were heavily advertising and promoting '..cooler / sexier..' guns, at significantly lower prices ('plastic fantastics' offered, quite literally, '..more bang for the buck..'...and for most of the civilian firearms market...THAT's what counted and for much of the contract government & law enforcement market, 'bucks' mattered).
This, and other reasons given are probably part of the reason that the Hi Power does not have the popularity here that it does other places. But, I think that there are two important reasons that have a lot of bearing on its lack of popularity here. The first is its price. If bought new, and often even if used, it is much more expensive than almost any other choice for 9mms. Yes I know that there are many bargain priced Hi Powers coming in as surplus. I have noticed that these get snapped up pretty quickly. But that is a different market than the new gun market.

The other reason is the Hi Powers trigger. You have to love Hi Powers enough to be blinded to the fact that it has a horrible trigger and trigger system. You can take out the mag safety, but then you just get a mushy trigger with a lot of travel. I say this as a lover of Hi Powers. I am willing to overlook it. Many aren't.