Still torn on 10mm purchase. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Still torn on 10mm purchase.

Since I've sold my S&W 500 Mag I would like to have a replacement larger-caliber hiking/camping gun...and I've been wanting to add a 10mm to my collection for some time now. There is a brand new Colt Delta Elite at my gun range that I've had my eye on. My employee price would be $918 + tax.

However, I've heard a few folks say that the Colt's construction will not stand up to full-power 10mm cartridges (if and when you can find them). Is that true?

My other choices are either expensive and sexy, or cheap and ugly. I came across a dead-sexy Dan Wesson Bruin long slide in Bronze at a LGS. Its a blemish, and twice the price at $1799. Or, I can get a Glock G40 at my LE pricing. It would be half the price of the Colt...but they're just SO ugly.

So...should I buy-once-cry-once and get the DW, or can the Colt hold up to full-power ammo?

~
Old 11-07-2017, 01:06 PM

Have you looked at the Ruger 10mm 1911 at all?
Old 11-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Depends on if the colt was made before the frame modification as far as full House 10 mm loads. There is s thread on the colt section of these boards that has pics to show the difference. The price is not bad as far as the Delta goes. Short answer, if it interests you go for it! Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 02:15 PM

All that I can tell you is that I had a very early on Blue Delta and loved it. Back when they first came out, there was no soft 10MM rounds available; everything was full power. I had to sell that Colt very regretfully. However, I am now looking for another Delta or I may look at the Ruger 10mm. I have two Ruger 1911's in .45 and I am very happy with them but they just aren't a Colt. If I was in your spot, I would go ahead and get the Colt that you mentioned. That is a good price and you won't regret it!
Old 11-07-2017, 02:25 PM

Rx:

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 11-07-2017, 02:29 PM

Dan Wesson is a lot of gun for the money. Ramped/supported barrel. But for camping & hiking I'd go with a Glock 20.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:44 PM

I always believe in buying the level of quality/strength needed to easily stand up to intended use. Buy once, and get what one needs and/or wants.

Many times on this subject, I've suggested buying 1911 builds, for anyone having a 1911 preference, that will easily handle the type of loads that make the 10mm a powerful round.

Not a fan of downloaded 10mm cartridges or guns nominally chambered in 10mm but which cannot hold up with 10mm cartridges loaded to achieve true 10mm power.

Buying to get a low initial acquisition cost is an entirely different philosophy. Perhaps for a minimal use gun, that might make sense for some. The used market, blemished market, polymer gun alternatives, etc., are alternative ways of seeking low initial acquisition cost.

This is a type of decision each person must make according to personal sentiments and circumstances.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 11-07-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post

<snip>

Buying to get a low initial acquisition cost is an entirely different philosophy.
Agreed.

Just didn't want to buy more gun than I really needed to since a mountain lion isn't gonna care by which one it was shot. And, of course, if I'm gonna shoot soft 10mm...I may as well just allocate one of my .45 ACP pistols.

My real question was, can the Colt frame hold up to full-power 10mm rounds...and it appears I will need to reference the Colt section of this forum for an answer.

Thanks, gentlemen.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:00 PM

Good luck on whatever direction you choose.

Fortunately, you'll likely not need to fire it in wilderness SD.

But I totally agree with the idea of being prepared.

I'll not criticise the Colt; but I'll not endorse it either.

------

Another possible reference for user's experiences:

http://10mm-firearms.com/10mm-semi-auto-handguns/

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 11-07-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Add reference and link
Old 11-07-2017, 03:22 PM

Colt frame has no issue at all with full power loads. There is some debate about whether there is enough case support in the barrel for some of the nuclear loads, but the Delta's shoot the original norma load just fine.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:30 PM

May want to read this forum: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr...ht=delta+elite
Old 11-07-2017, 05:04 PM

I've owned and reloaded for a number of 10mm semi-autos and revolvers, to include a Delta. Were I in the 1911 10MM market today though, I'd definitely consider the new Ruger 10MM. I had the opportunity to handle one recently. Barrel/slide/frame fit was very precise,i.e., no "Battle Rattle", decent trigger,etc. Ruger did some things right with this gun IMHO. A couple of those things would be the heavy,ramped bull barrel and the Bomar type adjustable sights. The heavy bull barrel adds recoiling mass (a good thing if one intends to shoot the "real" 10MM ammo), the ramped barrel provides case head support superior to the unramped barrels, especially the Delta's, and the adjustable sights allow for zeroing with any 10MM ammo from the mildest .40 S&W equivalent stuff to the most energetic "real" 10MM ammo....ymmv

BTW, also had a Kimber 10MM with ramped, very well supported, barrel. Unless I intended to shoot just lightly loaded factory or reloads, I would buy another Kimber 10 before I'd invest in another Delta with an unramped barrel that leaves a lot of unsupported brass hanging out, and typical Colt "relaxed" fit of component parts. I would have no concerns about the Colt frame holding up to 10MM. The unramped barrel and lack of case head support did bother me enough though that I had a ramped barrel installed in my Delta. Anecdotally, one shooter years ago did tell me that his Delta cracked the top of the slide through the locking lug area. He said Colt replaced the gun.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:45 PM

The only gun i would have bought over my Delta would have been a Dan Wesson.
Ive not been easy on mine either since i bought it.
Underwood,Double tap,Silver tips and soon some Sellier Bellier
The gun doesnt rattle nor does the slide wiggle.
I paid $1200 for mine since i get no discount.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
Rx:

What the heck is this??
Old 11-07-2017, 07:05 PM

Wouldn’t buy a Colt in 10mm personally the lack of a supported Ramped Barrel is the main reason. There have been quite a few cases of case rupture do to the unsupported barrels using full House 10mm loadings.. And the Dan wessson is the superior pistol anyway in build quality and barrel.

Last edited by Wilsonedbrown; 11-08-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 PM

I mildly disagree with the esteemed Wilsoned Brown, but only mildly.
The Dan Wesson is the better gun in every metric to the Delta Elite.
The Colt barrel, crappy chamber support though it has, will function fine with any SAAMI Spec new production ammo. Norma spec through the bleeding edge of the spec like Buffalo Bore and Double Tap. So if the question is purely 'can I shoot hot commercial loadings through my stock Delta Elite?', then the answer is yes.

That said, the margin for error is very slim, and next-to-nonexistent case support gives you no additional insurance. Want to load outside of SAAMI specs? Good luck, and enjoy your inevitable prosthetic. Want to reload? Hope you still have excellent case support, assuming you can even reshape the bulges in your now once-fired brass. Get that 1-in-1,000,000 overcharged factory round? Best of luck to you.

If you are just going to shoot middle of the road production ammo, or even Norma spec, you'll most likely be just fine. But a fully supported barrel is cheap insurance against the vagaries of life.

The ramped part really does make a difference in reliable feeding with the 10mm cartridge, particularly if you are going to be using any sort of hollow-point bullet.

Bonafides:

There's some Colts, a Dan, a Kimber, a Wilson, and a Nighthawk in that pile. I like them all. The DW is a way better gun then the stock Delta. But it's not a Delta.

Last edited by JohnnyEgo; 11-07-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
Dan Wesson is a lot of gun for the money. Ramped/supported barrel. But for camping & hiking I'd go with a Glock 20.
I agree. Bears, etc.... don't care how good a gun looks. I've got a G40 with RM06, and cowitness sights. Very soft shooting 10mm, and the 6" barrel adds extra zip.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:13 PM

I have a Colt Delta and absolutely love it. It has easily handled mild to hot loads with no issues. And thats a great price for a Delta Elite
Old 11-07-2017, 09:03 PM

Since the OP hasn't decided upon a 10mm for HIKING AND BACKCOUNTRY... the only pistol in 10mm that I needed and bought for the same purposes... and I head out to the boonies in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana, along with Counter Assault Bear Spray, is my Glock 20SF with DT 200gr Hard Cast with Underwood Bonded Gold Dot 165gr JHP in a backup mag.

YMMV, but I want a Glock for the adverse weather conditions and backcountry use, the much lighter weight than an all steel 1911 10mm, along with the extra capacity. I keep my 1911 CCO on me in the city.

Good luck on your choice.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 PM

Check out fusion firearms. Really like mine. Was looking at the ruger, but for not much more, got the gun I wanted.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:19 PM

There is a 10mm forum that has a lot of good info and you may want to look at.....

http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php
Old 11-07-2017, 11:20 PM

Get a G20. You won’t be sorry.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:05 AM

Personally I'd stay away from the Delta. As stated no case support. It's hard to beat the Glock 20, 29, 40, for your intended purpose. Also look into the old S&W 10 series, they'll shoot anything you stuff in them, and can be had at attractive prices. Good luck.

Last edited by mara5; 11-08-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 AM

For backcountry hiking? Every ounce you save is a potential granola bar in your pocket for a snack.

Mighty hard to beat a Glock for a light weight, good to knock around camp gun in any caliber.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-08-2017, 06:22 AM

I would check out the Coonan 10 mm, I have the classic and the 45 both awesome guns, I’m still considering a 10mm. If I do get one this will be the one for me, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RAEJ0vHnfGk