First M1 Garand - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-24-2017, 10:10 AM

First M1 Garand

Did a little horse trading, and came out with this M1, I was told it is a CMP "Special Grade" Springfield, made in Jan 1944. This is my first one, can any of you Garand experts out there confirm or deny any of what I was told about it, and any other information you can offer? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3619[1].JPG   IMG_3620[1].JPG   IMG_3621[1].JPG   IMG_3622[1].JPG   IMG_3623[1].JPG  
Old 04-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Banned

Looks exactly like a special to me. Essentially a new rifle built by CMP from both military and modern aftermarket parts. Should be a good shooter. Welcome to the M1 club.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:18 AM

The owner told me it had about 200 rounds through it, and that you can't shoot commercial .30-06 ammo through it (which I kind of doubt)...any truth to that part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Banned

The oprod channel wear looks about 200 rounds. And no, generally stay away from commercial ammo. There are a few that come close to the pressure curve of some USGI ball ammo, like Remington 150gr corelokt but my best advice it to stay with M2 Ball unless you get a ported gas screw from Garandgear.com, which I highly recommend.. then you can shoot pretty much anything.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:42 AM

With a 2.56 million receiver serial number it was probably made in Feb., 1944. Looks like a new commercial stock, and it looks like it has been reparked. More than likely the barrel has been replaced with a Criterion barrel. If you pull the op rod back and look at the letters and numbers stamped on the right side of the chamber area, if it says CBI, you have an after market commercial barrel. Criterions are good barrels.
But, I think that is what "Special Grade" means.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:53 AM

Just ordered one, thanks!!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Here is what I found when I pulled the operating handle back...
"S-A-3-51"
"K s"
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3625[1].JPG   IMG_3626[1].JPG  

Last edited by cjmj26; 04-24-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:53 AM

.30-06 _Springfield_

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmj26 View Post
The owner told me it had about 200 rounds through it, and that you can't shoot commercial .30-06 ammo through it (which I kind of doubt)...any truth to that part?
During the M1 Garand "clinic" to qualify for CMP purchase in '95, the instructor told us to use only ".30-06 Springfield" ammunition; whether mil-surp or commercial. .30-06 loaded for modern sporting rifles has higher pressure curves; ".30-06 Springfield" is loaded to the original turn of the 20th Century pressure curves. S&B for example markets Springfield for "M1 Garand"; so S&B is easy to distinguish. The same ammo should, of course, be fine for a Springfield in good condition as well.

HtH,

Last edited by tgt_usa; 04-24-2017 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Finally noticed spell check added an "l" to "Garand"
Old 04-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Here is what I found when I pulled the operating handle back...
"S-A-3-51"
"K s"
1951 (Korean War) Springfield barrel.

Garand-spec .30-06 ammo can be frustratingly difficult to find if you don't source it directly from CMP. Currently I am going through an ammo can full of 1970's Iranian ball that I purchased from Sportsman's Guide, but a lot of it is damaged so I have to watch what I load up into my clips.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Some of the comercial loaders are loading Garand specific 30-06.

Privi Partizan is loading it as are a couple of others. Federal is even loading it in their American eagle line.

SGammo.com has the P.P. and the Federal both in stock.

Be careful with that first Garand purchase though. They tend to grow on you.
Attached Thumbnails
windows7pics 001.JPG  
Old 04-24-2017, 12:24 PM

If you can find some of the Greek made HXP ammo, it is good stuff. Loaded hotter than some of the USGI stuff the CMP used to sell, but it is safe to use in Garands. The CMP sold tons of HXP ammo.
If you reload, 49. gr of IMR4895 with a 150 gr bullet approximates M2 ball. The Garand was designed around the M1 Ball load. 174 gr bullet, at approx. 2650 fps.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
If you can find some of the Greek made HXP ammo, it is good stuff. Loaded hotter than some of the USGI stuff the CMP used to sell, but it is safe to use in Garands. The CMP sold tons of HXP ammo.
If you reload, 49. gr of IMR4895 with a 150 gr bullet approximates M2 ball. The Garand was designed around the M1 Ball load. 174 gr bullet, at approx. 2650 fps.
I got some reloading stuff with the deal...a set of dies, bullets (150gr Hornady Interlock SP's), powder, primers and brass...IMR 4064...I'll see what I can put together
Old 04-24-2017, 01:36 PM

I am pretty sure that the Hornady manual.

Quote:
I got some reloading stuff with the deal...a set of dies, bullets (150gr Hornady Interlock SP's), powder, primers and brass...IMR 4064...I'll see what I can put together
My eighth edition anyway. That it has Garand specific load data.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgt_usa View Post
During the M1 Garland "clinic" to qualify for CMP purchase in '95, the instructor told us to use only ".30-06 Springfield" ammunition; whether mil-surp or commercial. .30-06 loaded for modern sporting rifles has higher pressure curves; ".30-06 Springfield" is loaded to the original turn of the 20th Century pressure curves. S&B for example markets Springfield for "M1 Garland"; so S&B is easy to distinguish. The same ammo should, of course, be fine for a Springfield in good condition as well.

HtH,
This is essentially what I was taught and what experience has taught me works.

.30-06 Springfield Ammunition, in bullet weights less than 168gr bullet weight as the longer burning powders for the heavier bullets spikes the pressure at the gas port and can bend the op-rod.

What I've done was accumulate a lot of Remington, Federal and Winchester .30-06 Springfield ammo in 150gr bullet weight. That's all I've shot in my M1's, including the CMP "Specials".

When I got an M1D, I bought a bunch of Hornady Garand Specific Match Grade 168gr Ammo. It's dead on accurate.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Did a little horse trading, and came out with this M1, I was told it is a CMP "Special Grade" Springfield, made in Jan 1944. This is my first one, can any of you Garand experts out there confirm or deny any of what I was told about it, and any other information you can offer? Thanks!
That does in fact look like a CMP "Special".

They're good rifles.

And depending on the price paid, a good value.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:48 PM

If you do not reload, American eagle a m1 fat and load that is factory
Old 04-25-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
I am not recommending heavy hunting ammo be fired out of an M1 Garand, but back in the day (1992-95) I shot a lot (3k+) heavy round nose out my Garands. The ammo was stuff I would pick up after hunting season at Walmart for cheap. I am not a "bullseye" kinda guy, mostly plinking and killing critters. Never had a big problem, sometimes a soft nose would catch before fulling entering chamber.

I then learned that mil spec ammo for the M1 was recommended, so I stopped - only CMP Greek for years, now I buy "specially designed for the M1 Garand" ammo.

I don't shoot my Garands like I used to, but they all shoot just fine.

Later in life I had the opportunity to meet an "Old Timer" from Ft Benning AMU. He was an shooter / armorer for the unit. When I met him he had a small gun shop off post. Great guy. I asked him if he thought my Garands might be damaged from my heavy ammo that I shot years earlier. He said no, that the AMU at one time shot a lot of heavier ammo in competition and no problems. He laughed and told me it was all hype and a reason to sell adjustable gas plugs. I know that his credentials where correct and he was knowledgable, I know many will adamantly argue his position.

I had already decided to switch to Milspec ammo and I have never looked back. I will not tempt fate and am happy with 100% reliability of the pointy bullets.

To the OP, congratulations on your M1...have fun with Garand, I know I sure have.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post

That's no joke.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:52 AM

Congratulations on a very nice Garand!

I thought the CMP Specials had a replacement Criterion barrel? Looks like a very nice Service Grade to me. The only sure way for the OP to know if it's a CMP rifle is to send in for the $25.00 research fee.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/sales-faq/

Quote:
WILL THE CMP RESEARCH A SERIAL NUMBER TO SEE IF IT HAD EVER BEEN SOLD BY THE DCM OR CMP?

A.
We will perform the research. Research often involves going through boxes of old records. Our files are only complete from 1996 to the present. We do have some earlier files, but know they are incomplete. We require a letter request with payment and we will respond by letter stating if we found anything, and if so – when we sold it and what model it was we actually sold. We will not identify original purchaser. Allow 2-3 weeks per serial number.

We regret not being able to perform this service for free. We receive dozens of requests each week and it can take up to one hour just to find that we do not have any record of a serial number being researched. Charge is $25.00 per serial number, prepaid, whether we find anything or not.

If interested, send letter to CMP, ATTN: Serial Number Research, 1401 Commerce Blvd., Anniston, AL 36207.
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Quote:
SPECIAL GRADE M1 GARAND

ITEM #

DESCRIPTION

PRICE

RM1SPECIAL

CMP Special (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver may have pitting.
SOLD OUT
January 25, 2017

RM1SPECIALFIELD

CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.
$830.00
Free Shipping

RM1SPECIALWRA

CMP Special (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Winchester receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver may have pitting.

SOLD OUT
January 24, 2017

RM1308SPECIAL

CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Receiver may have pitting. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber. SOLD OUT
June 24, 2016
Old 04-25-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Good Lord you aren't just whistling Dixie!!!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:31 PM

To the original poster.

You should get yourself a copy of Scott Duff's book.

The M-1 Garand. There is a certain amount of maintenance that needs to be performed on them to keep them up and running properly. If not properly maintained they can fire out of battery, with potentially dangerous results.

It needs to be understood that these rifles pre date the consumer product safety commission by decades.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 PM

Stick with 150-165gr ammo and you'll be good. Replace the spring after a few thousand rounds. I shot plenty of Rem-Win-Fed 150-165 pointed soft points before I knew the diff. Back then , the big box stores had pre-hunting season sales and I could get a box of 20 Remington PSP Core-Lokts for $4.99.

But with the Garands popularity , fresh M1 specific ammo is becoming easier to find.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 PM

In addition to Duff ...

Quote:
You should get yourself a copy of Scott Duff's book.
... this written by one of our 1911forum members:

https://www.amazon.com/M1-Garand-Com...3263149&sr=1-6
Old 04-30-2017, 09:55 PM

Would $1,100 be too much to pay for a CMP service grade 1944 Garand?

I've been eyeing one as I lack a M1 in my collection. A 1941 M1 from the same party already sold for that price.

Should I give him my money and run or stay away? I can't physically inspect the rifle.

USMC Vet