BHP T-Series Mfg 1969 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 09:29 AM

BHP T-Series Mfg 1969

Picked this pistol up about 1 1/2 years ago, bought it private party, located via a gun website, pretty sure it was GunsAmerica.com. The seller happened to be local so I had the luxury of meeting him at a range and seeing the gun before making my decision. Bluing is pristine, pictures don't do it justice. Came with original soft zipper case, and 3 Browning magazines. Gun shoots great, no jams on the two occasions I took it to the range. Paid $1150. Fair price?

Update: better pics...
Attached Thumbnails
20170315_090254.jpg   20170315_090123.jpg   20170315_093804_HDR.jpg   20170315_093854.jpg  

Last edited by kopazzz; 03-15-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:33 AM

That's a beauty.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:53 AM

That is definitely a nice one! I can't really speak to the price except that my T series was less than that with an original rug as well but I can't tell from the pics if mine is as nice as yours.

Market rates, Gunbroker, Guns America, etc drive values. As you mentioned, you were able to see it in person before purchasing which is always a plus.

Some of the more experienced folks will chime in soon. Again, beautiful BHP, congratulations!
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
That is definitely a nice one! I can't really speak to the price except that T series was less than that with an original rug as well but I can't tell from the pics if mine is as nice as yours.

Market rates, Gunbroker, Guns America, etc drive values. As you mentioned, you were able to see it in person before purchasing which is always a plus.

Some of the more experienced folks will chime in soon. Again, beautiful BHP, congratulations!
Thanks, I'm gonna have to take better pics, I think natural lighting is what's needed to display the gun properly. I'll take them asap and add them to the thread.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:02 AM

Really nice. I'm currently shopping for a nice "T-Series". From what I'm finding, your purchase price was right in the ball-park
Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 PM

Use the '..ADVANCED SEARCH..' function of GunBroker.com for '..COMPLETED SALES..' for '..Browning Hi Power T..' to get some idea of the relative condition and recent re-sale prices.

A 1½ years ago (when the market for the 'T' series was '..hotter..') $1,150 for a '69 'T' series in that condition, was a really good price....if the pistol came with the original black leatherette/red-flannel gun rug and an owners manual as part ot the '..package..' then your 'deal' would be even better.

Last edited by KDKSAIL; 03-15-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKSAIL View Post
Use the '..ADVANCED SEARCH..' function of GunBroker.com for '..COMPLETED SALES..' for '..Browning Hi Power T..' to get some idea of the relative condition and recent re-sale prices.

A 1½ years ago (when the market for the 'T' series was '..hotter..') $1,150 for a '69 'T' series in that condition, was a really good price....if the pistol came with the original black leatherette/red-flannel gun rug and an owners manual as part ot the '..package..' then your 'deal' would be even better.
Got the original red leatherette, but did not receive owner's manual, unfortunately he didn't have it.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:51 PM

From what I can see of your "New T", I would say that you did not get hurt, nor did you make a smokin' deal.........just about correct for what you received. I own a 69C, and the C and T BHP are wonderful shooters. Enjoy!!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT40DOC View Post
From what I can see of your "New T", I would say that you did not get hurt, nor did you make a smokin' deal.........just about correct for what you received. I own a 69C, and the C and T BHP are wonderful shooters. Enjoy!!
Exactly what I thought, never felt like I "stole it" always felt I paid fair market value. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopazzz View Post
... Gun shoots great, no jams on the two occasions I took it to the range. Paid $1150. Fair price?
Beautiful pistol. In CA it would be much higher.

If it is mint the older High Powers prefer the Remington 115 grain JHP (#R9MM1) it feeds with 100% reliability.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che View Post
Beautiful pistol. In CA it would be much higher.

If it is mint the older High Powers prefer the Remington 115 grain JHP (#R9MM1) it feeds with 100% reliability.
Appreciate the compliment and the ammo tip.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Picked this pistol up about 1 1/2 years ago, bought it private party, located via a gun website, pretty sure it was GunsAmerica.com. The seller happened to be local so I had the luxury of meeting him at a range and seeing the gun before making my decision. Bluing is pristine, pictures don't do it justice. Came with original soft zipper case, and 3 Browning magazines. Gun shoots great, no jams on the two occasions I took it to the range. Paid $1150. Fair price?

Update: better pics...
Update: "Black Beauty" switched out to Navidrex grips! Thanks Burgs for the lead!
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2017-03-16-11-16-57.png   Screenshot_2017-03-16-11-17-01.png  
Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Banned

EXCELLENT! How do you like the slimness?
Old 03-16-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Horn View Post
EXCELLENT! How do you like the slimness?
Love it, already have them on my Practical model, couldn't be happier...
Old 03-18-2017, 05:14 PM

I also picked up a T series a couple of years ago & love it.
Those small sights left a lot to be desired for my aging eyes but would you dare send it off & get the front dovetailed for new sights?
7down.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:55 PM

I don't think you got a steal, nor were you cheated either... I'd say that is about market in my area at least...

You certainly have a very nice example of the 1969 "T" series guns that looks about un-fired...

Mine is a late 1969 gun that belonged to TV actor Richard Boone of "Have Gun Will Travel" fame.

FWIW

Chuck

Fear God and Dreadnought!!

You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight!
Old 03-18-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7down View Post
I also picked up a T series a couple of years ago & love it.
Those small sights left a lot to be desired for my aging eyes but would you dare send it off & get the front dovetailed for new sights?
7down.
Interesting you ask... I was just thinking about that today because I was reading a thread on the forum about night sights and the answer is a definitive no.

I would never alter a classic pistol as beautiful as this one for an efficiency upgrade. Heck, most of my pistols are safe queens and they don't see a lot of range time or carry/holster time. I just enjoy the hell out of owning them.

But I was thinking that my next two purchases are going to be a used blue 1911 with noticeable wear, and a used blue BHP with noticeable wear, so I can fully enjoy them, carry them and not worry one iota about their exterior appearance and instead concentrate on superior functionality and daily carry.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxm View Post
I don't think you got a steal, nor were you cheated either... I'd say that is about market in my area at least...

You certainly have a very nice example of the 1969 "T" series guns that looks about un-fired...

Mine is a late 1969 gun that belonged to TV actor Richard Boone of "Have Gun Will Travel" fame.

FWIW

Chuck
Yes, I agree, I think I got what I paid for, no more, no less...that's what I was hoping to affirm via this thread and that seems to be the consensus.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:42 PM

S&W SIghts

Inspired by friend Burgs lovely HPs, I have decided to have a S&W adjustable rear sight installed on a HP.

Rooting through my parts department today I discovered I still have a quantity of S&W "N" frame rear sight assemblies on hand, so it seemed having one installed would be fairly straight forward.

So, my question to this vast assemblage of knowledge is this: Who would y'all suggest to install the sights? Someone in Florida would be nice, but that isn't a requirement...

Thanks in advance...

V/r

Chuck

Fear God and Dreadnought!!

You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Interesting you ask... I was just thinking about that today because I was reading a thread on the forum about night sights and the answer is a definitive no.

I would never alter a classic pistol as beautiful as this one for an efficiency upgrade. Heck, most of my pistols are safe queens and they don't see a lot of range time or carry/holster time. I just enjoy the hell out of owning them.
I own a well worn 69C, and it is The One that has accompanied me for the last 40+ years, whether carrying or going to the range. As age has beaten up on eyesight, I am about on the verge of sending it off for new sights. I realize this means some changes, but while I have really cared for it all that time and it still looks remarkably good, it's a worthwhile change to keep the appreciation level high. The safe queens will still be out there.

For what it's worth, neither the Inglis nor the 69C have had a problem digesting hollowpoints, including the original Sierra 90 grain flying ashtrays from back in the '70s. I don't touch firearms with Dremels, and there are no altered feedramps here. However, I appreciate that all guns are unique to themselves, and I don't doubt others saying they have had problems with HPs.

I have settled on the Federal 147 grain HST since my move back to the 9mm from the 40 S&W platform, and I'm really happy with it. On the light end of the scale, the Barnes 115 gr Tac-XP loaded by either Barnes or Black Hills apparently performs just as well as the heavier bullet weights, and they are one of the 9mm loads that gets the thumbs up for police service use.

There was a review on this load in one of the law enforcement publications a few years ago, a large police force who chose the Black Hills loading in conjunction with Dr. Gary Roberts, and apparently, its' performance so far in OISs has been extremely good. Including through intermediate barriers like auto glass, drywall, etc.

Nice load for the minimalist little pistols like the S&W Shield, and shoots much lighter through a HP.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:01 PM

CXM,

Now see, I was inspired by Stephen Camp's S&W-sighted Hi Power.
I saw his years ago and decided that I just had to have one of my own - in .40S&W. Then there's Vern's S&W sighted Hi Power.

So I guess the circle continues...
Attached Thumbnails
HP40S&WHogueright.JPG  

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 03-18-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:05 PM

Years of peeking through S&W revolver sights and I'm still cool on the idea of them on a HP.

Now that HP you have with that Bomar sight set up you have that extends right to the back - I think that was your pistol and Don did it for you - that sure did look like the right stuff.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 PM

Kopazz, nice looking 69T. I think you paid a fair price. I am sure you will enjoy it. As a comparison I recently bought a new mint BHP 69C, one mag, nice aftermarket grips, no box or papers for $800. As you know your T is valued higher. Never get worried about the price if you got the gun you wanted. The only time you should be concerned regarding what you paid is if you plan to sell it soon.
Attached Thumbnails
20170218_181223.jpg  

Last edited by Donny; 03-18-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
Kopazz, nice looking 69T. I think you paid a fair price. I am sure you will enjoy it. As a comparison I recently bought a new mint BHP 69C, one mag, nice aftermarket grips, no box or papers for $800. As you know your T is valued higher. Never get worried about the price if you got the gun you wanted. The only time you should be concerned regarding what you paid is if you plan to sell it soon.
Donny, great lookin' C. I'm not at all worried about what I paid for it, truth of the matter is I love the gun and I just wanted to get a consensus from all the knowledge on the forum as to market value. I'll never part with it; I have a problem parting with the two material things that are near and dear to my heart: bikes (mainly Harley's) and guns (mainly Colt 1911, BHP 9mm, S&W Revolvers). My youngest son will be the lucky recipient of these possessions; my oldest son doesn't have that gene...

Last edited by kopazzz; 03-18-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 PM

I'm with Kopazzz. If I find a pistol I really want, I don't mind spending the going rate, or even a bit extra, to get what I want. I'm not in the deal business. I'm in the find the pistol I really want business. A few extra bucks won't break me. Much better than regretting a pistol that you once could've had, but blew it by being cheap.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O