Requesting help with locating grips - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Requesting help with locating grips

I love the grips shown on my BHP Practical model which I purchased from Browning back in 2007. They're cheap, made of plastic, but have a nice checkering to them and are very thin.

I also have a T-series Hi-Power in blue that I want to put the same grips on. I ordered a set from the factory recently using the exact same part number and they sent me different grips. I called them and they said they must have changed the grip styling, which I find kind of strange, cause they're assigned to the same part number.

Anyway, does anyone happen to know where I can find the grips shown on my Practical model?

Shown below my pistol are the grips they sent me.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Attached Thumbnails
grip 1.jpg   grip 2.jpg  
Old 03-11-2017, 04:12 PM

These look like Navridex grips. I have a couple sets new if interested
Old 03-11-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt8897 View Post
These look like Navridex grips. I have a couple sets new if interested
Sure, how much you want for them? Only need 1 pair.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Kopazzz,

Looks like Navidrex Micarta to me also. Brownells sells them. Your Practical was made with Pachmayr wrap around grips.
Navidrex were never factory OEM. They are about the thinnest Hi Power grips available and for that reason are much prized by many Hi Power shooters.

A couple of years ago Brownells stopped selling them for a while and there was a mad scramble by many to locate extant samples.
Bob Reed was most helpful by "smuggling" in several shipments from the maker in the Philippines. After several months, Brownells finally relented and is once again a reliable source.

Navidrex also offers Hi Power grips made of Philippine Mahogany and Rosewood. The are very thin also.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 03-11-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Kopazzz,

Looks like Navidrex Micarta to me also. Brownells sells them.
Navidrex were never factory OEM. They are about the thinnest Hi Power grips available and are much prized by many Hi Power shooters.

A couple of years ago Brownells stopped selling them for a while and there was a mad scramble by many to locate extant samples.
Bob Reed was most helpful by "smuggling" in several shipments from the maker in the Philippines. After several months, Brownells finally relented and is once again a reliable source.

Navidrex also offers Hi Power grips made of Philippine Mahogany and Rosewood. The are very thin also.
Great info, thanks so much Burgs!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:32 PM

$55 shipped, which is exactly what I paid for them
Old 03-11-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt8897 View Post
$55 shipped, which is exactly what I paid for them
Okay, I'll get back with you, have to go to an appointment, thanks.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Looks like Navidrex Micarta to me also. Brownells sells them. Your Practical was made with Pachmayr wrap around grips.
Navidrex were never factory OEM. They are about the thinnest Hi Power grips available and for that reason are much prized by many Hi Power shooters.
Help me on this - as a new Hi Power shooter.

What is the advantage to thinner grips? Is it a hand fit thing?

Do thinner grips work better for concealed carry with the Hi Power (actually, the FM Detective)?

I'm thinking I should get a pair just to see how they feel - any advantage of Micarta versus wood?

Many thanks!
Old 03-11-2017, 08:53 PM

Steelap,

You nailed it. It's a hand fit thing. Shooters prefer thinner or thicker grips the same way folks need different sizes of shoes.
Due to the HP's double stack magazine, many owners prefer a thinner grip. Some with large hands want a thicker grip.

Navidrex and after that VZ Grips are the thinnest. VZ offers lots of selections.

When you have time, do a SEARCH THIS FORUM search up at the top of this page. Type in GRIPS and there's all sorts of information on the many grips available for the Hi Power and their comparative thicknesses. There's no right or wrong answer. It's whatever thickness and material you like best.

Another good place to check for what you might like, aesthetically, would be the Photo Gallery sticky at the top of the Hi Power Section. Just about every type of grip (and any other modification) is presented there.

Good Luck!

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 03-11-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Steelap,

You nailed it. It's a hand fit thing. Shooters prefer thinner or thicker grips the same way folks need different sizes of shoes.
Due to the HP's double stack magazine, many owners prefer a thinner grip. Some with large hands want a thicker grip.

Navidrex and after that VZ Grips are the thinnest. VZ offers lots of selections.

When you have time, do a SEARCH THIS FORUM search up at the top of this page. Type in GRIPS and there's all sorts of information on the many grips available for the Hi Power and their comparative thicknesses. There's no right or wrong answer. It's whatever thickness and material you like best.

Another good place to check for what you might like, aesthetically, would be the Photo Gallery sticky at the top of the Hi Power Section. Just about every type of grip (and any other modification) is presented there.

Good Luck!
Thank you!

Having tried only the grips that came with the Hi Powers bought - wood for the Nazi, wide hard plastic for the FMs, Pacmire (spelling?) for the Competition and one of the FN Israelis, and a generic set of Brownells wood for the other FN Israeli (grips were destroyed when received, oh, well), I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a set of the Navidrex (Micarta or wood) to see if I like thinner grips.

The Hi Power does fill the hand - but that isn't necessarily a down side.

More fun - checking out grips! Tomorrow I'm taking an FN Israeli to the range to try out some handloads and also the SFS I just put in it.

"Life is Good!"
Old 03-11-2017, 10:53 PM

Outstanding! Please keep us posted.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
Thank you!

Having tried only the grips that came with the Hi Powers bought - wood for the Nazi, wide hard plastic for the FMs, Pacmire (spelling?) for the Competition and one of the FN Israelis, and a generic set of Brownells wood for the other FN Israeli (grips were destroyed when received, oh, well), I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a set of the Navidrex (Micarta or wood) to see if I like thinner grips.

The Hi Power does fill the hand - but that isn't necessarily a down side.

More fun - checking out grips! Tomorrow I'm taking an FN Israeli to the range to try out some handloads and also the SFS I just put in it.

"Life is Good!"
No, you don't get it. You need thin grips or you don't. If you don't know, you obviously don't. Don't waste your money.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:59 AM

Just rec'd the Navidrex thin grips from Brownells and my slightly less than avg size hands like them a lot. However, now I need to stipple the front and back straps for a more secure grip.
I'm sure the cold and dry weather conditions aren't helping.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 03-13-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
... It's a hand fit thing. Shooters prefer thinner or thicker grips the same way folks need different sizes of shoes.
Due to the HP's double stack magazine, many owners prefer a thinner grip. Some with large hands want a thicker grip ...
Burgs you nailed it too. Rheumatoid Arthritis effects my grip selection. Currently my BHP wear Pachmyr grips that make it doable for me.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugabob View Post
However, now I need to stipple the front and back straps for a more secure grip.
NOOOOOOOOO0000000oooooo!!!

That's a hard chrome finish - NOT stainless steel. If you vandalize your hard chrome finish, it'll have to be refinished or it will rust. Once rust gets under the hard chrome finish it'll spread like like Hillary's mustache unless properly addressed. Properly addressed on a hard chrome finish means another costly hard chrome finish.

Also, you'll make a big poo on any potential resale value.

My suggestion, if you absolutely have to, is to get the sandpaper-like grip appliques and use that on the front and back straps. They make the stuff just for handguns and you can get it in silver, if you so desire.

Last edited by Burgs; 03-13-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:00 PM

Oh heck no don't stipple that HP bugabob, Burgs nailed just about every point, a classic that will likely never grace our shores ever again.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:57 PM

Hey thanks for the heads up, fellas! No stippling for me!
Old 03-13-2017, 07:31 PM

Thank goodness. I almost peed myself a little bit...

Old 03-13-2017, 07:49 PM

Altamont makes some nice grips for the BHP. I just installed these from them and think they're quite handsome. Original grips were Pachs and they were much too thick. These are thinner and provide great purchase
Attached Thumbnails
bhpa.jpg  
Old 03-13-2017, 09:00 PM

Joe Rock,

I'm now panting with envy.

That is a VERY nice looking pistol.

If you ever decide you don't want to continue owning it, let me know.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rock View Post
Altamont makes some nice grips for the BHP. I just installed these from them and think they're quite handsome. Original grips were Pachs and they were much too thick. These are thinner and provide great purchase
First thing I did when I got my Practical model back in '07 was buy new grips.

With the double stack mag well, the grip is wide to begin with, add the Pachamyr grips to the equation and it feels ridiculous. I know this is a subjective matter, but just my opinion.

Incidentally, I have big paws, so the preference towards low profile Navidrex grips has nothing to do with small hands in my case, I just like the way they feel.

Interesting, when I first got into guns 25 years ago, I loved Pachamyr grips, now I can't stand them.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:56 AM

Navidrex grips

This thread has piqued my interest in the Navidrex grips. I recently installed these Herretts on my Sport model. They look nice but really thick. I gather from reading here that the Navidrex will be substantially thinner ? Has any one compared the two ?

Old 03-14-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
Joe Rock,

I'm now panting with envy.

That is a VERY nice looking pistol.

If you ever decide you don't want to continue owning it, let me know.
Will do. So far since acquiring it I just look at it, never shot it.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIS35 View Post
I gather from reading here that the Navidrex will be substantially thinner ? Has any one compared the two ?

Navidrex and Herrett are on opposite sides of the Hi Power grip thickness spectrum. Navidrex are the thinnest grips you can buy and Herretts are about the thickest.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:08 PM

Grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Horn View Post
Navidrex and Herrett are on opposite sides of the Hi Power grip thickness spectrum. Navidrex are the thinnest grips you can buy and Herretts are about the thickest.
Thank you, Sir , for your info. I have just ordered a pair of the "black micarta thin grips" from Brownells