Retro ready to go!! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-23-2017, 02:12 PM

Retro ready to go!!

I just dropped the hammer on a NoDak Spud retro upper and lower for my carbine build. Should ship today. I already have the parts accumulated for assembly. Looking forward to this.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:13 PM

Nice. I look forward to seeing it built. I have been thinking of doing one also. I have a slick side SP1 upper and old style adjustable stock. I have all but given up on finding a SP1 lower at a reasonable price. Nodak Spud upper & lower is in my future I think.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:19 PM

I am hoping that the new M16 reissue by Colt will create a market for replacement furniture especially the triangular foreguards. No one else makes them and Colt is making them again. Waiting for 2017 catalog and parts. Got to buy a couple sets so I can retire my veteran vintage ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2017, 10:22 PM

Look forward the build reports! Enjoy and hope all goes well.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-23-2017, 10:31 PM

I got lucky. I was on the waiting list for Nodak. They emailed me last night that they have a customer return lower and upper I was looking for. They sent some pics this morning and I went for it. I would have had to wait until the beginning of April until they were back in stock. They gave me a bit of a discount as well. I have all the other parts I need: Most of them from Amhert Depot all NOS mil spec. Got the barrel form Brownell's last week.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:24 AM

Which retro carbine rifle are you going to build? Looking forward to pictures.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Which retro carbine rifle are you going to build? Looking forward to pictures.
Looking to do a late vietnam war era carbine.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Y View Post
I am hoping that the new M16 reissue by Colt will create a market for replacement furniture especially the triangular foreguards.
Spent the weekend rewatching several Nam flicks - Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, We Were Soldiers, just to name a few. It was apparent that Hollywood is hoarding all the period correct M16 furniture and flash hiders.

Guess I really didn't pay very close attention to the rifles when watching these flicks in the past. But, we've had several Retro threads in our AR subforum recently, so I couldn't help but to notice just how accurate the Hollywood rifles are.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:07 AM

My son had an opportunity to handle the Colt M16 retro/repro prior to SHOT. He wasn't too impressed with it.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Administrator

You should start showing us some pictures documenting your build progress. Maybe start by showing us all the parts you accumulated so far.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:26 PM

I can do that!

I didn't want to take the lower parts out of the plastic for fear of loosing some parts.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Looks like a cool project. I can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
Spent the weekend rewatching several Nam flicks - Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, We Were Soldiers, just to name a few.
I have to confess, I watched Vietnam in HD and We Were Soldiers when I was putting the finishing touches my M16A1 retro. I also have to confess though that it felt a bit weird to do so, as I used to have a next-door neighbor who was a Vietnam combat vet and the war traumatized him. He couldn't even go outside on July 4th to watch the other neighbors set off fireworks because it brought back too many memories. I'd imagine he had a different view of people looking back on Vietnam with a sense of nostalgia like some of us do.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 02-25-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsgt View Post
I didn't want to take the lower parts out of the plastic for fear of loosing some parts.
You weren't kidding, you are indeed just about ready to get rockin. Looking forward to watching this build.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:51 AM

And a little PO'd right now.

I just received an email from Brownell's regarding the barrel I received for this build. Apparently there is a defect and they have been recalled. Something with drilling the gas port. Just got off the phone with CS and they are sending me a shipping label. To top it off, they have no idea when these will be restocked! Just great!
Old 03-01-2017, 03:16 PM

All pieces to the puzzle are together.

Waiting to have the barrel checked now.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:09 PM

I will enjoy watching this come together there are some oem colt car15 stocks on GunBroker...
Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baer78 View Post
I will enjoy watching this come together there are some oem colt car15 stocks on GunBroker...
bear78: I checked them out. Its a little more than I want to spend on this project. Also, I have to keep this NJ compliant. The stock has to be fixed. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:28 PM

Update: retro ready.

I got my lower and upper. I installed what I could on the lower. I am waiting for my son to pin the M4 style stock (a CAR stock is much more than I care to spend). I installed the ejection port on my upper. However: When I tried to install the forward assist, I bent the roll pin. After realizing it pays to have the proper tools, I ordered a AR15 upper vice block and some roll pin starter punches and, additional pins. Heres some pics:

I am waiting to have a local AR guy check the Brownell's barrel I have after I received a recall on them. Hopefully, it is not defective. Slowly but surely moving forward.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:48 PM

Not sure what extra parts you have on hand, but the roll pin is the same as the one in the trigger guard. (Not the one that holds the trigger guard on, the one in the actual trigger guard.)
Old 03-04-2017, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the info VoceNoctum. I ordered some extra pins from midway. Also ordered the upper blocks. This will make it easier to work on. I did get the rear sight assembly installed yesterday. Still waiting for a mailing label from Brownell's for the barrel. My FFL didn't have a bore scope. Hopefully next week I'll see if my other guy can check the barrel as well as pin and weld the muzzle device. Slow progress.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:50 AM

Cool project. That stinks about the barrel though. Hopefully you'll have a new barrel in your hands soon.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:36 PM

I am considering keeping it at this point. I requested a return shipping label a week ago, and I'm still waiting.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsgt View Post
Thanks for the info VoceNoctum. I ordered some extra pins from midway.
For some reason, I read that you bent the "rear sight" pin, which is the same as the pin I mentioned, the forward assist pin is different, so it was useless advice anyway. (Unless you next mess up the rear sight pin.

Quote:
Also ordered the upper blocks. This will make it easier to work on. I did get the rear sight assembly installed yesterday. Still waiting for a mailing label from Brownell's for the barrel. My FFL didn't have a bore scope. Hopefully next week I'll see if my other guy can check the barrel as well as pin and weld the muzzle device. Slow progress.
Can you see any blemish in the rifling across from the gas port with a light? I imagine it'd be visible enough if a drill hit the rifling.

Also, though you already used M4 stock, but I got a stock from:
http://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/produ...r-stock-black/
Quality is fine, shipping was slow and they never sent a ship notice. They also sent it UPS sig-required which added more time. Shipping was like $25 for all the stuff I ordered.

I tried to get:
http://mapartsinc.com/shop/details.a...97&iSubTwo=408

But the site kept giving me an error when trying to checkout/register, so never got one.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:31 PM

I found these sites when I was researching this project. I think I mentioned it in a previous post, but I have to keep this compliant. A fixed M4 stock is all I can do for now.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:36 AM

After exhausting my ideas for having this barrel inspected, I am boxing it up and returning it to Brownell's. Another website poster stated Brownell's gave him a 60-90 day wait. So, the wait begins!