14" Shotgun in Progress - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-24-2016, 02:13 AM

14" Shotgun in Progress

The wife went to the door to get packages today and came back in saying, "Interesting, what did you get yourself from Wilson Combat for Christmas?"

Luckily, my answer was acceptable. I am gradually working on building a 14" shotgun for work that will pretty much be a short barreled CQB shotgun. Today the ghost ring sights, BCM Gunfighter pistol grip, SuperStoc collapsible AR style stock, and 1 shot mag tube extension arrived. I finally got the Form 1 back so now I have to get it engraved and have the sights installed so I can use the 14" barrel. Once the stock adapter comes in (they are currently out of stock) I will install that. I already have a Surefire on it. I was going to send it off to Wilson to have it reworked, have everything installed, and AT'd gray, but that will have to wait. It looks like I will be getting activated with the Marines and taking an overseas trip until next fall and they were not sure they could have it back to me before I start my pre-deployment training. When I get back I will send it off to have the rest of the work done.

On a related note, they only sell the tritium front sight for the 14" barrel as a set with a non-tritium rear sight. They don't sell it alone or as a set with a tritium rear like they do with the front sight for a standard barrel. Anyone have any idea why? I ended up getting the set for the 14" barrel, but I generally prefer tritium front and rear for a work gun.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:53 AM

Don't have any insight on the construction issue, but just want to wish you Godspeed on your deployment Beauf, stay safe. Hope you can keep in touch while away with your special brand of real-life insight shared in a very unpretentious way.

Thanks for your service,
C.A.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 12-24-2016, 05:53 AM

Didn't know you could get one in 14. I've got the CQB with the 18 1/8 " barrel. Sights are a personal preference but fwiw the iron sights work very well.
It's a great and fun member of my collection (with a purpose).
Don't forget at whatever point you get it finished to post some pics.
Thanks for your service and Merry Christmas !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2016, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Beauf - Have a blessed Christmas young man, and thank you for your service. We will keep you in our thoughts around here and pray you come home from deployment safe. If you get a chance from time to time to visit here and chime in, we'd love to hear from you while your deployed.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-24-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauf View Post
Once the stock adapter comes in (they are currently out of stock) I will install that.
Don't know if you contacted WC directly or simply observed the "out of stock" message on the website... I added one to my recent 1911 mag order despite that message thinking it would simply be backordered and I was surprised to see that it showed up with the mags about 2 weeks ago. Might be worth a phone call to Wilson.

Thank you so very much for your service!!
Old 12-24-2016, 10:46 AM

Have safe deployment and thanks for standing the watch.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Didn't know you could get one in 14. I've got the CQB with the 18 1/8 " barrel. Sights are a personal preference but fwiw the iron sights work very well.
It's a great and fun member of my collection (with a purpose).
Don't forget at whatever point you get it finished to post some pics.
Thanks for your service and Merry Christmas !

I imagine they would probably build one in 14" straight from Wilson, but I am rebuilding one of my current shotguns exactly like the CQB but with a short barrel. I am glad to hear you like yours, it just seems like a pretty ideal setup for a defensive or working gun.

Redford: I called them and they said it was out of stock, but will be back in stock in a couple weeks.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
Beauf - Have a blessed Christmas young man, and thank you for your service. We will keep you in our thoughts around here and pray you come home from deployment safe. If you get a chance from time to time to visit here and chime in, we'd love to hear from you while your deployed.
Thanks Gramps and everyone else. Unless something changes this should be a relatively safe and easy deployment. I guess I am at that point in my career where they don't send you out to do the fun stuff very much and instead they keep you back doing planning and coordination. I wish I could say I was going to be doing some high speed cool guy stuff, but I won't.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2016, 12:56 PM

I too would like to see pics when you get it built.

Be safe and thanks for your service!
Old 12-24-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks Gramps and everyone else. Unless something changes this should be a relatively safe and easy deployment. I guess I am at that point in my career where they don't send you out to do the fun stuff very much and instead they keep you back doing planning and coordination. I wish I could say I was going to be doing some high speed cool guy stuff, but I won't.

Every deployment can have its own dangers. I once saw a guy tilt back in his chair and crack his mellon open.. Stay safe brother.. Godspeed.

USMC 1981-1987
Old 12-24-2016, 04:32 PM

Thanks for your service, stay safe , Doc
Old 12-24-2016, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

That is good news, but I never take anything for granted, so we'll still fill in with prayers for your safe return! There are times when mundane is better than fun, although we tend to miss that from time to time. Stay safe and well, God speed and safe return brother.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-24-2016, 09:39 PM

First, thank you for your service! You say you're not going out into the dangerous stuff, but that doesn't make your job any less of a service to this country. Thank you for that!

I can't wait to see your finished gun. Sounds like it's coming together nicely!
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S, EDC X9 Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Old 12-28-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
On a related note, they only sell the tritium front sight for the 14" barrel as a set with a non-tritium rear sight. They don't sell it alone or as a set with a tritium rear like they do with the front sight for a standard barrel. Anyone have any idea why? I ended up getting the set for the 14" barrel, but I generally prefer tritium front and rear for a work gun.
My guess on this issue is that same issue that was on the Sig 552. The rear tritium sight is so close to your eyes that it kills your night vision. It sounds good on paper, but didn't work in practice. Again, only my best guess.

And stay safe.